Options

My RVM Revelation

beachbellebeachbelle Posts: 95
I had some friends over tonight...for some wine, music, food, and conversation. A good time. At some point during the evening I overheard "Rearviewmirror" and had one of the 'bolt from the blue' moments. Dunno if it was my mood, the shiraz, the company, or whatever confluence of events which prompted my 'aha' moment.
To spare you the drama and the details, I'll get to the heart of it. I was fresh out of a divorce some years back and jumped, pretty quickly, into a new relationship. It started out great--I was totally swept away by him. We shared so many new experiences together, it was like I'd gotten a second life, a new, unexpected beginning.
But it went South when I found out he was involved with someone else, behind my back. Now, if I'd had half a brain I would have cut the cord then. Sure, when I found out I was furious, threw things, ordered him out of my life. But I backslid. So listen to me, daughters out there (and sons for that matter), don't go back to the well once the water's dirtied.
Now...back to topic. When I heard RVM, which I've heard a million times, something clicked tonight when I listened closely to the lyric. Maybe the band's intention was loftier--political or humanitarian in theme, but it spoke to me on a personal level. I'd been right to put this man behind me, once and for all. Peace wouldn't have come until I made the break completely, no fooling myself anymore that things would magically change if I gave him one more chance. There was a twisted payoff between us, but nothing healthy, not for me.
It would be easy to play the victim card, and I'm not proud to say that I did that to his face more than once. But once my self-esteem kicked in,once I was done, it was easy to let go. I would not let him control me anymore. Sometimes the emotional abuse feels just as bad as a punch to the gut. But as strange this may sound, once I really got past him I could appreciate the experience for what it taught me. I'm not bitter, just a little wiser. "Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all"...some other poet once wrote.
I think PJ got it right, too.
Saw things
Clearer
Clearer
Once you, were in my...
Rearviewmirror...
"Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere..."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Thumbs up! It is my favorite PJ Song.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    beachbelle wrote:
    Maybe the band's intention was loftier--political or humanitarian in theme, but it spoke to me on a personal level.
    Saw things
    Clearer
    Clearer
    Once you, were in my...
    Rearviewmirror...

I think this is one of many examples of the band being happy for us the fans to interpret the songs due to personal circumstances. It's one of the things that keeps me listening!
  • Options
    rpech'erpech'e Twin Cities Posts: 1,106
    edited June 2012
    Saw things
    Clearer
    Clearer
    Once you, were in my...
    Rearviewmirror...

I can relate to those words almost on a daily basis when I' m leaving work :lol:
    Def one of my fav songs!!
    Post edited by rpech'e on
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I guess it was the beatings.. made YOU wise.. :thumbup:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13