Options

Do any other band's posters have the same demand as PJ's?

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,427
edited April 2012 in Other Music
Anyone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    A lot of the jam bands, Grateful Dead, Phish, etc. The whole poster art craze started in the 60's/'70's I think, with the counterculture bands. Ames Bros. makes Phish posters too. I grew up with hippies, I've seen a few posters in my day :lol:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,836
    Dunno. I've wondered the same thing with the band's merchandise in general. How many bands have been able to sustain a seemingly insatiable demand for their goods by their fans for this long? I suppose it goes hand-in-hand with an extended healthy career. It's symbiosis, baby ;) .
  • Options
    Neosurfer79Neosurfer79 Posts: 290
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Anyone?

The Black Keys, Dave Matthews, TOOL just to name a few!
    Sound Advice Amphitheatre - Apr 11,2003, House Of Blues Orlando - Apr 12, 2003, St. Pete Times Forum - Apr 13, 2003,Silver Spurs Arena - Oct 08, 2004, Cruzan Amphitheatre - Jun 11, 2008, St. Pete Times, Forum - Jun 12, 2008, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,236
    There are over 50 posters currently for sale in the goods section. I would say the demand for PJ posters is basically gone.......the market has been over saturated with sub par design since 08......

Early posters still bring in money, but the new stuff they cant give away......
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    ouch...

that last statement hurt...

i'm no artist so it sucks that i have no idea if they are good or not...

i just go by if i think they look cool or not...

or

i'm not into them unless they are being hung on peoples walls.. or on display somewhat...

actually...i'll shut up now...this subjects really outta my league...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Most shows I go to these days have a poster.

I'd say that alot of other bands have even higher demand, but PJ has sorta kicked themselves in the ass on that one with flooding the market.
  • Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    Seems like that, especially with bands that have very strong 'cult followings' (fans that stick around for the long haul, and not just for the first 2 or 3 hugely successful albums a band puts out) merch gets to be more of an interest.

Not with some bands, because some never really get much into merch past the standard teeshirts/apparel and programs sold at concerts. For example, I'm a long-time Springsteen fan, and we don't have this level of merch collecting in the Springsteen community. People have always collected shows because there were no official bootlegs and there were a LOT of shows...and people have always collected cool 'stuff' (I have two pieces of Springsteen memorabilia that mean a lot to me - the original negative of the photo of Bruce that covered the front page of the Palm Beach Post-Times (and a copy of the front page itself) from when Bruce came through South Florida on the Born in the USA Tour...and an autographed program and backstage pass patch which Bruce signed when I actually met him in Atlanta)...but outside of that and some teeshirts and magazines, I don't have anything but shows. And I don't think I'm all that unusual in that regard. No posters...no hats....no keychains...no stickers....just MUSIC. It's all about the shows. And the odd one-of-a-kind or personalized collectible you pick up along the way, like the ones I described above.

But some bands - especially those whose members are into art themselves - really get into this stuff. These days, it seems like the world is all about Black Keys posters. Seems like I am seeing them everywhere! But oddly, the chief reaction I have to them is "Thank god I'm not a huge Black Keys fan! Because the last thing I need is to get sucked into THAT consumer vortex! I'm already swimming against the tide in Pearl Jam's...and that is quite enough!" :lol:

Of all my favorite bands of all time (Pearl Jam, Springsteen, Alice in Chains, Avenged Sevenfold, Bon Jovi, Dire Straits), Pearl Jam is by far the most merch-heavy. Avenged Sevenfold is probably second in this regard - if you like death-bats tattooed on every conceivable piece of clothing and goth jewelry imaginable, they are your boyz! :lol: But even they are not into the posters and stuff like PJ. A7X doesn't hold a candle to PJ when it comes to merch. Thank goodness!

My new motto of financial self-preservation is that I will add no new band to my 'all time favorites' list if they have a large merch section on their website. :lol:
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    jjflash wrote:
    Dunno. I've wondered the same thing with the band's merchandise in general. How many bands have been able to sustain a seemingly insatiable demand for their goods by their fans for this long? I suppose it goes hand-in-hand with an extended healthy career. It's symbiosis, baby ;) .

Kiss would have had far more merchandise than a band like PJ ever would. They had whole shops full of their merch. I dont know if they still do, but I've heard they're back touring again. I'm glad I was never a Kiss fan! Too much stuff to buy to keep up with. I limit what I buy from PJ as shipping fees are atrocious and living downunder, I dont want to waste money on shipping. It's nice to have some merch, but I've never been one to go overboard and so much of the stuff is just overpriced rubbish.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Those Blink 182 20th anniversary posters have been selling out in minutes. I don't know if people are buying for the band or artist. If they are like me, they are probably buying it because of the art/artist :D
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Only if those bands attract strange obsessed people.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Black Keys, probably.

Radiohead as well.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    Def. Black Keys.
    My Morning Jacket
    White Stripes
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Definitely agree with Black Keys. DMB has some posters that are high demand, but they still use Methane and they put out a good poster only one out of 200 attempts. They really need to move onto someone else to do their show posters. Phish has a decent demand for posters as well.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Black Keys have some great looking posters. Latest Emek one is nice. I just can't stand their music.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,638
    in 2012? my guess is no. but what do i know?

i can actually recall being at the spectrum shows in 2009, and i was so turned off by the scene around the merch tables that i refused to buy anything. it was like people trying to get into wal-mart on black friday. then the next day you see half the shit up on ebay at a 500%+ upcharge. it's sickening. but ultimately, we only have our fellow fans to blame for the ridiculous demand.

i collect gig posters from other bands, but i usually only buy the ones that are particularly eye pleasing (to me), or if it was an extra special show.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    edited July 2016

Def. Black Keys.

My Morning Jacket

White Stripes

i'll add 311. this poster is pretty awesome!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly