Options

Musical direction on new album

kenneth gossardkenneth gossard Posts: 70
edited March 2012 in The Porch
Has anyone listened to the snippet of the new soundgarden song?.....it's a 20 second snippet of thaiyil ripping....I hope stone and mike hear it and find some much needed inspiration... It's awesome!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,250
    Link please?
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,250
    edited March 2012
    Don't worry, I found it on their official site.

Soundgarden - Live To Rise

It sounds very nice! :D
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'd love to hear something gloriously retro from them, big riffs and guitar solos. I love PJ's punk-ish side, but it would be nice to hear something different.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,807
    it would be nice to hear something different.

A jazzy direction for the next record would be great to hear. Longer jams & killer guitar solo's by Mike.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

A jazzy direction for the next record would be great to hear. Longer jams & killer guitar solo's by Mike.

Definitely!
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    My bad, wrong comment :)
    Nothing to see here... :P
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    I hope they go more in a Nickelback/Creed kinda direction. Or maybe not. :roll:

Seriously though, if Off the Earth is any indicator for the direction they're taking, I think we're in for a treat.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Kloddz wrote:

Seriously though, if Off the Earth is any indicator for the direction they're taking, I think we're in for a treat.

It would be a great step to play more expansive songs like OTE but as much as I like the song I hope they don't include it on the album. It was great to see it live but it would add to the song's mystique if they just pulled it out of the bag once or twice a year for the lucky few. I'd still love to hear any studio demos of it though to see how it started and evolved.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I don't think they she be takin any direction inspired by that SG clip. Bout as generic as it gets. Sounds like it's 20 years too late.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I don't think they she be takin any direction inspired by that SG clip. Bout as generic as it gets. Sounds like it's 20 years too late.

I'd rather they took inspiration from music 20 years ago than the current music scene.......
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    Kloddz wrote:

Seriously though, if Of the Earth is any indicator for the direction they're taking, I think we're in for a treat.

It would be a great step to play more expansive songs like OTE but as much as I like the song I hope they don't include it on the album. It was great to see it live but it would add to the song's mystique if they just pulled it out of the bag once or twice a year for the lucky few. I'd still love to hear any studio demos of it though to see how it started and evolved.
    I hear ya. I'd be happy to have Of the Earth (I just noticed that I misspelled it earlier) remain an Out of My Mind type rarity (although I'm still slightly pissed that they didn't play it in Lisbon to end the Europe tour, but I guess I should blame myself for not going to more shows in 2010).

But, as far as musical direction is concerned, it's still the way to go for me. Backspacer was (and still is) a fun record, but I'd like to see them do more complex stuff this time around, maybe also in the direction of Force of Nature, Amongst the Waves, throw in some You Are, add some lengthy solos, stir well, and see what comes out. :)
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    More........

GOD......
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I'd rather they took inspiration from music 20 years ago than the current music scene.......
    Yeah, all those Dubstep rumors we've been hearing better stay rumors... :roll: On the other hand, I'd like to hear Ed's version of Rebecca Black's Friday. :lol:
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    More........

GOD......
    And more MFC, too!
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    edited March 2012
    DewieCox wrote:

Admittedly, you can't judge the whole song by that snippet, but it sounds like a step back even from where they were when they hung it up. Good things don't happen when bands try to recapture a sound.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Has anyone listened to the snippet of the new soundgarden song?.....it's a 20 second snippet of thaiyil ripping....I hope stone and mike hear it and find some much needed inspiration... It's awesome!

I don't want PJ to sound anything like Soundgarden.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Admittedly, you can't just the whole song by that snippet, but it sounds like a step back even from where they were when they hung it up. Good things don't happen when bands try to recapture a sound.

KInd of makes me laugh though that you would say it sounds like something from 20 years ago, and back then people were saying they sounded like something from 20 years before that!

Anyway, I'm not judging anything until I've heard it all.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    demetrios wrote:

This is what im really hoping for. Something very catchy and expirmental. Basically anything that Matt writes. He is perfect for that. Johnny guitar was a step in that direction but Eddie sort of 4/4'd it and made it sound a little too straight forward.

Then again, thats what the new soundgarden album is for.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,976
    That snippet might be genereic and/or sound like audioslave.
    But I think it bears hope of something more memorable than anything off Backspacer (or Avocado). And I'm not a big soundgarden fan.

I hope that the new record has some "mood" or atmosphere to it, and it doesn't sound like Eddie is forcing himself through the singing (the raspiness/out of breath/squeeling sound of Backspacer and Avocado is not my cup of tea). More Rit Act/Binaural-sounding would be nice and add some of the "popsong anthem quality" that made TEN have every song be a hit on it's own. But maybe they tried and failed that with Backspacer... ;)

I hope the soundgarden-album, and with them being included on the Iron Man soundtrack, will make the album a huge hit. And it will set Pearl Jam in the right direction :)

And give Eddie time with the lyrics. No more "The Fixer"... or Olé...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Admittedly, you can't just the whole song by that snippet, but it sounds like a step back even from where they were when they hung it up. Good things don't happen when bands try to recapture a sound.

KInd of makes me laugh though that you would say it sounds like something from 20 years ago, and back then people were saying they sounded like something from 20 years before that!

Exactly..... Have Pj been futuristic with their guitar sounds? I haven't heard anything in years that can hold a candle to the music of the 60s,70s,90s and dare I say even the 80s?... Bottom line is that 20 second snippet ripped and I very much doubt this new soundgarden album won't completely kick ass! As I said , I hope stone and mike bring their a game and stop trying to sound grown up.... PJ are easily my fave band but if I hear another "rock album for couples" I will be little bummed.... My guess is soundgarden will raise everyone's game a bit...expecting big things
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Exactly..... Have Pj been futuristic with their guitar sounds? I haven't heard anything in years that can hold a candle to the music of the 60s,70s,90s and dare I say even the 80s?... Bottom line is that 20 second snippet ripped and I very much doubt this new soundgarden album won't completely kick ass! As I said , I hope stone and mike bring their a game and stop trying to sound grown up.... PJ are easily my fave band but if I hear another "rock album for couples" I will be little bummed.... My guess is soundgarden will raise everyone's game a bit...expecting big things

I'm not saying they have to come up with a new guitar sound, I just think judging from this short snippet that it sounds like something SG had already moved on from by the time they broke up. I'm just hoping they're progressing as opposed to trying a rehash. If they return to more riff-y style I'm all for it if they can keep it fresh. The small sample we've got so far isn't. The rest of the song/album may go on to blow my balls off and I may eat my words but that sample isn't a great first sign.

I think the same goes for about any band. Just go in the studio, put some thought into and get something down that is indicative with where they're at.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    But I think it bears hope of something more memorable than anything off Backspacer (or Avocado). And I'm not a big soundgarden fan.

I hope that the new record has some "mood" or atmosphere to it, and it doesn't sound like Eddie is forcing himself through the singing (the raspiness/out of breath/squeeling sound of Backspacer and Avocado is not my cup of tea). More Rit Act/Binaural-sounding would be nice and add some of the "popsong anthem quality" that made TEN have every song be a hit on it's own. But maybe they tried and failed that with Backspacer... ;)

I hope the soundgarden-album, and with them being included on the Iron Man soundtrack, will make the album a huge hit. And it will set Pearl Jam in the right direction :)

Backspacer created some excitement at the time and I got caught up in it eventually too but I've noticed recently when listening to the 2011 boots it's all going great until a Backspacer song comes on and it just sucks the life out of the show. Amongst The Waves, Unthought Known, The Fixer, Just Breathe have been played so much now that I can't listen to them without reaching for the skip button and as for Got Some, it is now my least favourite PJ song after Sweet Lew. Avocado is a much better album but it has taken two and a half years of Backspacer to make me appreciate it more as before it didn't really light my fire. Not quite the classic but compared to Backspacer it's really good. I think solo projects have distracted the band a little and the musical input is very below the standard you expect when PJ head for the studio. They are making all the right noises about the new songs but I'm pretty sure I remember Ed proclaiming before Avocado that it was some of the greatest songs they'd ever recorded. I know we can't turn the clock back but if you look at the change of direction with Vitalogy and No Code and the reasons why they chose the non media path you get a huge change in experimentalism and how they used their studio time, even the songs from that era that appeared on Lost Dogs have a quality that they seldom repeat now. Yield seemed a little to me like trying to regain some of the limelight and when they had even leaner album sales with Binaural and Riot Act they made the choice to be a little more commercial. The video for The Fixer is my lowpoint of the bands output and I know they are only doing what they can to survive as a band in a completely changed market but do they have to make cheesy mock live show videos like AC/DC do for each new album? They have a solid fanbase here and don't exactly struggle to sell out shows now they know where their exact market lies and lets face it, they aren't going to be that multi-million selling band again so they don't need to sacrifice creativity with commercial three minute pop songs, we will still buy the album. I think the new album will be a lot more pleasing this time which is maybe wishful thinking but I'll be disappointed if there isn't a return to playing guitar solos and some more abstract riffs/basslines/time signatures in favour of acoustic ballads which as nice as they are sound like Into The Wild outtakes. As for the Soundgarden clip, I know it's difficult to judge it in 22 seconds but if that is the main riff for the song they didn't exactly try too hard with that one. I'm sure there's much better to come from them but when bands reform after such a long hiatus the expectations usually don't live up to what the final result is. SG will make a solid but probably unspectacular album but PJ don't need inspiration from them for anything, they have great songwriters themselves, it's just a matter of which ones win when they make the final cut.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,532
    Hard to disagree with your comments Veddertown. Backspacer is clearly the weakest album. Really hoping for a solid effort on the next one, especially if it doesn't come out til next year.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,976
    veddertown wrote:

Backspacer created some excitement at the time and I got caught up in it

I don't really understand how people could have been. I understood the excitement for Avocado. I thought at the time that WWS would explode into a mainstream hit (but I thought I am mine would also). I really did. Backspacer on the other hand, "every" song have lyrics like a "5 minute petry exercise for high school students". The songs lack of hook. To me it feels tired and without passion or meaning.

If it wouldn't have Pearl Jam written on it, and you just saw that ugly cartoon cover you would all think it's a really bad album. You would rank it lower than a Creed or Nickelback album.

Avocado was an effort at least. Even though getting through it with that wall-of-noise sound and the squeeking Eddie is hard. But it has some good songs that during the Vitalogy-era or even Binaural/Riot Act could have been made to sound great and stand out.

Regarding the Soundgarden-snippet. A 22 second intro to a song doesn't say anything. And not a simple riff either. Backspacer could have been "simple" and great but it was simple, halfasses and bad. I still hear something distinct about that SG-intro and I bet you it will hook you. The Fixer doesn't hook, it makes you ashamed (and that target video allways pops out in your head)

Every song on Ten was a hit. That radioshow where Howard Stern played snippets of all the songs and said it was the greatest record ever. I mean - that's what PJ could do. You hear 10 seconds of any song from Ten and it's "unique" and just plain great.

I know they turned into punk (Eddies "fault" I reckon) and later what people refer to as experimental. But try to hook us again, The Fixer was to be radiofriendly but was it really? Every song on Ten is radiofriendly because they have a great sound, great lyrics, great guitars, drums and the vocals are spot on. They also ALL had an anthemtic and sing/scream along qualities, and maybe this dissapeared on the rest of the albums but they still had great songs. B-sides like Strangest Tribe, Sad or Hold On could also have been played 10 seconds off on Stern and you would think "great song". Play 10 seconds of Amongst the Waves and people wouln't even turn their heads.

Backspacer doesn't have great songs.
    The SG snippet might be a good song even if it has a "simple riff".
    Or something.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"