Options

E-Bay is Bad!!

myndeecalhounmyndeecalhoun Posts: 25
edited March 2012 in Lost Dogs
I was going through e-bay tonight looking at the Pearl Jam items they have. I found a "1989 Pearl Jam t-shirt and unreleased album". Nothing about Mookie or Mother Love Bone. So I looked at it and this person is claiming this is "official PJ gear" and got it from a concert in Seattle. It is a Stick Man tee in a purplish blue on a white tee and a CD that looks like it has nothing on it. This poster has NO RETURNS written all in capitals posted 3 different times. If that isn't a clue it is fake...
As most PJ fans know that this e-bay auction is shit. Yes, I did report it to e-bay along with the copy of the Wikipedia of PJ's Bio showing when the band was formed. People like this person make me sick and I am sure a week from now he will have a new user name and repost the crap again.
It is just like the people selling floor tickets to the upcoming Europe shows, $250 each. They join the Ten club, buy as many floor tickets as they can and sell them at a huge mark up. Those tickets are for us, the fans and the one devoted to following PJ. It is one thing to buy 3 or 4 tickets, have a friend bail on you, and then sell the ticket at the last min. It is completely different to buy 6 and sell all of them with no intentions to going to the show. Then find out the show is sold out and mark the tickets up by another 2 or 3 hundred dollars.
So anyone buying PJ merchandise or tickets on e-bay or any of these other sites, please check the item out completely. If you are not sure, that is what this form is for.
I feel bad for the 6 people who bid on the "1989" PJ stuff on e-bay. I know there are bad people out there but to blatantly lie about an item not only make the person selling the item look like an ass hole but makes PJ look bad too.
So please, check your facts before buying anything on e-bay. I would hate to see any of you get scammed because some idiot wants to make a dollar or two.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    i like ebay
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    ebay isn't evil. people are.

do you people check the fake items/bad sellers list on pjcollectors.com? you should.

for example, there's a guy selling old school picks right now, and getting decent money for them, but they're all fake. nobody would sell a real kielbasa king pick for 89 dollars. the pick with the EV on one side and the rat in a circle on the other side was never made. the logos are from different eras...but he's sold a half dozen of them for avg 50 bucks apiece. almost every image he uses in his auction is from the guitar picks database on pjcollectors, right down to the shading and scratches. i can only assume everything he sells is fake...

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    stickman81stickman81 Posts: 437
    ebay kicks ass....someone post a link... :twisted:
  • Options
    Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    Ebay is good. It provides an avenue and the opportunity to obtain things you may never have been able to get otherwise.

It also provides an avenue to sell things and make money on items that you would never have been able to sell before. It allows you to reach countless prospetive buyers. Good luck acheiving that without eBay.

It's like dangerboy said, it's not eBay it's the people that can be bad. No one is forcing you to buy anything you don't want.
  • Options
    living in Winnipeg, I don't get a lot of opportunity to buy cool band shit, so ebay is my only avenue. before joining this club and trading with the nice folks here, I got most of my prized music-related schwag from there.

there's assholes everywhere. I learned the hard way when I started using ebay. I got burned several times by just jumping at "buy it now!" before checking out the sellers history, feedback, etc. it's a learning experience. and hey, if someone WANTS a pic with those images on them, leave that to them. maybe they know it's fake, but just like the design. I've bought a few "bootleg" items. My "Pearl Jam Dr." road sign, my "Parking for Pearl Jam fans only" parking sign, and a couple other things. I knew they weren't official items, but I still wanted them.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I'm an eBay lover.

Prior to it, it was very difficult and expensive to collect autographed baseballs.

Now it is very easy.

BUT there are a tremendous amount of fakes. Good people get taken every day.

But if you are smart, researched, vigilant, observant, and good at finding what you want, then all of those fakes actually keep the price down.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,768
    Wilds wrote:
    I'm an eBay lover.

Prior to it, it was very difficult and expensive to collect autographed baseballs.

Now it is very easy.

BUT there are a tremendous amount of fakes. Good people get taken every day.

But if you are smart, researched, vigilant, observant, and good at finding what you want, then all of those fakes actually keep the price down.

And the ironic thing is that the 'real' autographs were probably signed by some kid who was given 20 bucks to get the job done of signing 500 baseballs.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    hey, if someone WANTS a pic with those images on them, leave that to them. maybe they know it's fake, but just like the design. .

if they know it's fake, i totally agree with you.

in the case of the pics i mentioned above, the seller represents them as "real tour pick" and "NOT A REPRODUCTION" in the descriptions. others are less detailed, but give the idea that they are authentic by using words like "vintage" and trying to place them as "mid-90's" just by saying so....

• Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    dangerboy wrote:
    hey, if someone WANTS a pic with those images on them, leave that to them. maybe they know it's fake, but just like the design. .

if they know it's fake, i totally agree with you.

in the case of the pics i mentioned above, the seller represents them as "real tour pick" and "NOT A REPRODUCTION" in the descriptions. others are less detailed, but give the idea that they are authentic by using words like "vintage" and trying to place them as "mid-90's" just by saying so....
    Yeah I gotta agree with DB on this one...

I've bought a couple of non-official things over the years for PJ and otherwise that I just liked the design on, but I don't pay much for it because at the end of the day its a fake.

I highly doubt people are paying $50+ for these fake pics when they know they are just buying it for the design. There has to be a cheaper way to pull that off, I'd think.

As for the ebay... I have a love/hate relationship. I enjoyed collecting WAY much more before ebay because if you put in the work and effort you could find some amazing deals. Now there's not much you can find thats a huge deal, but it does happen sometimes. I like that you can also get a better idea of values by watching auctions (even if you don't bid), but again it was more fun before for me personally.
  • Options
    Ok let me reword this..

E-bay is not bad but the people selling stuff on there and that e-bay does not check the items that are being sold is bad. The reason why I said "E-bay is Bad" was to get attention to this and someone to look into the items on there. I know there is a ton of great stuff you cannot get anyplace else but e-bay. I know, cause I live in Southern Idaho and getting bigger bands here, finding magazines with anything to do with music that has not to do with a certain religion, and getting any type of music/art degree that has nothing to do with religion is almost impossible. Having items on e-bay and these things available is great. It's just, making sure it is official and real is another story.
    This guy was claiming to be a hardcore PJ fan and selling this crap. It's not cool and makes everyone who is a fan look bad; along with PJ. I don't know if he knew that this was not "official PJ gear" or bought it off someone else and thought it was real. My issue is that e-bay doesn't check stuff like this out before letting someone sell. I know they have that "safe bidding" thing. But really, who does that help in the end. People are still going to get on there and try to sell stuff like this. Why not try and stop these people before the post?
    Maybe it is my business degrees or expecting quality customer service from a large business and site like e-bay. Either way, this post was a warning to shoppers on e-bay about some of the shit people are trying to pass off as real. If someone is a PJ fan but does not know a lot about the band or the history, they would have thought this was great and in the end getting scammed.
    ~
    Also, someone on here said something about a list about people not to buy from? I have been a Ten Club member for years but have really not got into the Form so I have no idea where that is at or heard of it. If someone can fill me it, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks All and sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
  • Options
    Ok let me reword this..
    E-bay is not bad but the people selling stuff on there and that e-bay does not check the items that are being sold is bad. ... Why not try and stop these people before the post?

That'd be virtually impossible to screen every transaction and posted item for sale. The buyer has to take on some level of responsibility.
  • Options
    There has to be something they can do. For example: maybe certain key words or items get flagged before a real person, from e-bay reads through them. I know e-bay takes no legal responsibility for items that are sold and their authenticity. But really, they could do something because they are the ones who are running the site and could be held legally accountable for fake or fraudulent items even though their contract says they are not.
    They have thousands of employees, why not try and do something. Amazon does with their sellers and items sold.
  • Options
    yeah those lists are not here. try the forum at pjcollectors.com

• Options
    When you're dealing with an estimated 113 million listings, I'd say they're doing the most they can do.

Allow not just buyers but anyone to report listings
    limit sellers to 10 listings per day until they can establish a sound seller rating
    and provide refunds to burned buyers who dispute sales.
    Ban proven faulty sellers
  • Options
    they did something new that sucked for me. they instituted a 21 day hold on funds paid for an item to make sure you actually sent the item and it was received in good order. I have 100% feedback, but I have rarely sold anything. it's all buying feedback. So when I do, I get paid, but I can't access those funds for 3 full weeks. Add on top of that the 8 day transfer time from paypal to my bank account. And that's IF the buyer is satisfied! He could lie and say he never got it, so not only did he get my item, he got it for free! thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

you have to have 25 good selling transactions to get your money right away when you sell something. I understand what they are trying to do, but to someone with 100% feedback that seemed a bit much to me.

if you provide a tracking number that should be enough.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    they did something new that sucked for me. they instituted a 21 day hold on funds paid for an item to make sure you actually sent the item and it was received in good order. I have 100% feedback, but I have rarely sold anything. it's all buying feedback. So when I do, I get paid, but I can't access those funds for 3 full weeks. Add on top of that the 8 day transfer time from paypal to my bank account. And that's IF the buyer is satisfied! He could lie and say he never got it, so not only did he get my item, he got it for free! thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

you have to have 25 good selling transactions to get your money right away when you sell something. I understand what they are trying to do, but to someone with 100% feedback that seemed a bit much to me.

if you provide a tracking number that should be enough.

have you sold stuff on ebay in the past? i think they only do this if you are a new seller
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...