Options

If PJ21 is in AV, I will not attend and here's why

Hail_Hail PJHail_Hail PJ Posts: 69
edited March 2012 in The Porch
I have LOVED Pearl Jam since Ten came out. They are no doubt my favorite band. Both Ten and No Code were released on my birthday, August 27th, so I've always felt a special connection to the band. I've been fortunate enough to see PJ live 8 times and I have unique and special memories of each concert.

I have a wife and twin 3 year old boys and decided not to attend PJ20 in AV b/c they are my #1 priorities and it would have cost me upwards of $1,000 to get there and see the shows. My wife, being the greatest woman on earth that she is, gave me tickets and a hotel room for both shows, and all I had to do was cover the transportation which I was able to do. PJ20 was special and I met several other fans who sacrificed their fair share to be there as well. It was a once in a lifetime event. I neither heard nor read any such news that this could potentially be annual event.

That said, if PJ plays AV again and ONLY plays AV again this year, I will be extremely disappointed and will not make the trip from Charlotte to AV again (a 14 hour drive by the way). PJ20 was special and it was supposed to celebrate the band and its fans and give them something they will never, ever, see again. I was not disappointed at either show (as some fans were).

If this is truly going to be a recurring event on Labor Day, I would sincerely ask Tim and all of the 10C, to tell that us that up front and not keep us guessing as to any other North American shows that may or may not happen in the future. That's all I'm asking and I think it's a fair request.

PJ and the 10C have been awesome to me over the last 6 or so years that I've been a member and I praise them for all the work that they have done. All I ask is that they be honest with us with the announcement and l hope that AV will not happen this year and that it will truly be a North American tour, hopefully with a stop or 2 in North Carolina.
"Hail, Hail the lucky ones...I refer to those in love"
Mansfield, MA 9/16/98, 8/29/00
Charlotte, NC 4/16/03, 10/30/13 (10th Show!!)
Atlanta, GA 4/19/03, 9/22/12
Asheville, NC 10/6/04
Columbia, SC 6/16/08, 4/21/16
Alpine Valley, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11
Greenville, SC 4/16/16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I really don't see them ONLY playing AV this year and next. I see a show in your general area happening in the near future

:D
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Thanks Empty Glass. I hope what you say is true. This band has meant a lot to me over the last 20 years (ask my wife) and I really hope that they will do a full blown tour and not just a one weekend stint again in the States. In these times, it's hard for some people to make it to one show, much less travel many 100s or 1000s of miles to make it to a weekend getaway.
    "Hail, Hail the lucky ones...I refer to those in love"
    Mansfield, MA 9/16/98, 8/29/00
    Charlotte, NC 4/16/03, 10/30/13 (10th Show!!)
    Atlanta, GA 4/19/03, 9/22/12
    Asheville, NC 10/6/04
    Columbia, SC 6/16/08, 4/21/16
    Alpine Valley, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Greenville, SC 4/16/16
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,238
    I'm just hoping that whenever they tour the states, they'll at least play some new tunes for us...... If not some album or ep come out prior.

I'm interested to hear the progression since backspacer.

I hope it's the Gorge btw
  • Options
    I guess I'm the only one thinks Alpine Valley sucks as a venue...

Would much rather the Gorge again or Red Rocks, or anywhere but the middle of nowhere Wisconsin!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558
    Cart before the horse....let's see what the announcement is.
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Doesn't matter what the announcement is, because we all know it won't be the only show(s) they are doing this year. If they toured the US last year, we'd know that it actually might be possible that it would be the only show in the States for 2012. Of course it's still all speculation, but I would be shocked if they only do a weekend at Alpine again. It makes perfect sense that they would do another weekend there because it's such a great place for a show and it was a big success...this way they can try to drive up the interest and the buzz before announcing other shows later-after all, drawing 37,000 fans won't be easy under any circumstance.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

Would much rather the Gorge again or Red Rocks, or anywhere but the middle of nowhere Wisconsin!
    You're not the only one. There are plenty of people who are also wrong.
  • Options
    gotsome420gotsome420 Posts: 528
    Why does everyone assume this band owes them some sort of personal favor? This tour announcement is supposed to be good news, all i see is bitching.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834

Good for you
  • Options
    gotsome420 wrote:
    Why does everyone assume this band owes them some sort of personal favor? This tour announcement is supposed to be good news, all i see is bitching.

PJ doesn't do normal tours anymore. People are getting tired of the same regions being played, and having to travel to see the band year after year. They aren't as excited about announcements because they know it will only involve plane tickets and hotel stays to the same cities over and over and over again. The novelty of Ed's solo touring has also worn off.

PJ's tour style in the US:
    #1 - NYC, Philly, Boston, Hartford, Chicago + 4-5 other cities
    #2 - San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle + 4-5 other cities

It gets a little boring.

No one thinks they deserve a personal favor, but it is odd that cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, Miami (and it goes on and on....) haven't gotten shows since 2003 or prior.
  • Options
    Mike_McQMike_McQ Posts: 105
    I felt that the some of the younger staff at Alpine Valley were hacks, aweful. Everytime I'd go to the bathroom, someone would be in my seats, but security had no problem yelling at me to get out of the aisle.

I was recording the whole thing on my Zoom duel mic recorder. It came out good except for security ruining the intro. I recall saying that "this is our concert, not yours". Some 17 year old witch with a bad attitude. I flew from Philadelphia to Milwaukee. Total cost for the trip all included was over $1000.

If it's at Alpine Valley, I sure hope that the band has something to say to the contract holders about the staff lack of respect for the consumer, Us.

This time around I will be on the west coast, and going back to Alpine might only happen if no west coast dates are announced.

I also think it's time we see some smaller venues, like House of Blues Orlando 03'. Best concert ever.

Cheers,
    McQ
    Mike_McQ
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    If something happens at Red Rocks, you're gonna get bitching from the east coast...you can't make everybody happy... At the end of the day the band's gonna do what they want and they've earned the right to do that.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mike_McQ wrote:
    I felt that the some of the younger staff at Alpine Valley were hacks, aweful. Everytime I'd go to the bathroom, someone would be in my seats, but security had no problem yelling at me to get out of the aisle.

I was recording the whole thing on my Zoom duel mic recorder. It came out good except for security ruining the intro. I recall saying that "this is our concert, not yours". Some 17 year old witch with a bad attitude. I flew from Philadelphia to Milwaukee. Total cost for the trip all included was over $1000.

If it's at Alpine Valley, I sure hope that the band has something to say to the contract holders about the staff lack of respect for the consumer, Us.

This time around I will be on the west coast, and going back to Alpine might only happen if no west coast dates are announced.

I also think it's time we see some smaller venues, like House of Blues Orlando 03'. Best concert ever.

Cheers,
    McQ

Maybe you'd enjoy it more if you weren't there to film the show rather than going for just the show?

It isn't easy to handle 30k people, of which a lot are drunk. Cut the staff some slack.
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    If something happens at Red Rocks, you're gonna get bitching from the east coast...you can't make everybody happy... At the end of the day the band's gonna do what they want and they've earned the right to do that.

If Pj plays Red Rocks this year I will shit myself. 1 hour will be the shortest I have had to drive to a show by 3 hours.
    6/16/2008 Columbia, SC, 10/30/09-10/31/09 Philly, EV Solo 6/26/11 Detroit, 9/3/11-9/4/11 Alpine Valley, 9/30/2012 Missoula,MT 7/16/13 London, ON *****FIRST ROW****, 7/19/13 Chicago, IL, 10/30/13 Charlotte, NC. 4/21/2008 Columbia, SC, 5/2/2016 MSG2
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    gotsome420 wrote:
    exactly....people bitching cos of the thoughts or rumors they have or think or read....unreal...
    they bitching of something isnt out there yet.... :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    If A PJ 21 Show festival is announced, I just hope they actually do a full tour sorrounding it as well. :mrgreen:

Need a PJ fix. Going to see Ed solo x2 though so either way, and whatever the announcement I'm good. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Mike_McQ wrote:

Cheers,
    McQ
    Good lord sorry to hear you couldn't record the intro with your super awesome Zoom duel mic recorder. :roll:

Security is security and it's different at every show we all learn to deal with it. Most places like Alpine do a great job dealing with the mass of people that show up. Make sure you send a email to alpine about yr little problem you had I'm sure some hack will reply back.
    :lol:

On a side note the people that get up every 15 - 20 mins to go use the bathroom or get more drinks really piss me off. Maybe if you stopped drinking you wouldn't need to use the bathroom so much.
  • Options
    Mike_McQMike_McQ Posts: 105
    The recording was audio only, and snobby 17 year old hacks get no slack. Im not paying over a grand to be disrespected by a child. At least 5 times i would move around the venue to get good audio. I might add the audio was for my memories. I'd come back, and bamb seat stealers.

I just would like to see more happy faces and better attitude form the younger staff, but no worries, If they play Alpine again, i'll just pay more and get closer seats where security is tighter and people can't just randomly take your spot.

My seats for Day 1 were in 201 right behind the pole. I could see fine and I wasn't drinking hardly. Try not spouting off about people with out knowing what's up. I had different sets of friends in different area's. I sat 4 seats in with the two to the right being two cool folks who didn't mind the few steps in and out.

Sounds like you took my message personal. Are you related to the asshole security guards in section 201? all I was saying is that if I go away and come back over a 3 hour experience, I don't want anyone in my seat, and I sure as hell don't want different treatment from the staff when I'm in the aisle as others steal my seats again.
    Mike_McQ
  • Options
    Mike_McQ wrote:
    The recording was audio only, and snobby 17 year old hacks get no slack. Im not paying over a grand to be disrespected by a child. At least 5 times i would move around the venue to get good audio. I might add the audio was for my memories. I'd come back, and bamb seat stealers.

I just would like to see more happy faces and better attitude form the younger staff, but no worries, If they play Alpine again, i'll just pay more and get closer seats where security is tighter and people can't just randomly take your spot.

My seats for Day 1 were in 201 right behind the pole. I could see fine and I wasn't drinking hardly. Try not spouting off about people with out knowing what's up. I had different sets of friends in different area's. I sat 4 seats in with the two to the right being two cool folks who didn't mind the few steps in and out.

Sounds like you took my message personal. Are you related to the asshole security guards in section 201? all I was saying is that if I go away and come back over a 3 hour experience, I don't want anyone in my seat, and I sure as hell don't want different treatment from the staff when I'm in the aisle as others steal my seats again.

Maybe the seat stealers had friends in different parts of the venue and were just looking for better audio?
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    edited March 2012
    People make $1000 sound like a lot, should see what some of us Europeans pay to go to the absolute middle of nowhere for and beyond.

And I don't get the 14 hour drive bit, why can't you just fly? It takes us 14 hours to get there or more with the majority of that FLYING and public transport, let alone a drive.
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    gotsome420 wrote:
    exactly....people bitching cos of the thoughts or rumors they have or think or read....unreal...
    they bitching of something isnt out there yet.... :lol:

very true! :lol::lol:

everyone needs to relax. if he/they are heading your way, awesome!! if not, maybe you can make a trip to see them.

US dates would be great, but it's a little early to announce anything for the Fall in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    People make $1000 sound like a lot, should see what some of us Europeans pay to go to the absolute middle of nowhere for and beyond.

And I don't get the 14 hour drive bit, why can't you just fly? It takes us 14 hours to get there or more with the majority of that FLYING and public transport, let alone a drive.

You Europeans get a lot more shows than most Americans do lately, and they are much easier to follow around in Europe than the US as Europe is much smaller than the US.

Driving is more economical if you have 3-4 people in the car splitting gas.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    edited March 2012
    Brisk. wrote:

You Europeans get a lot more shows than most Americans do lately, and they are much easier to follow around in Europe than the US as Europe is much smaller than the US.

Haha, have you ever toured in Europe? Touring in Europe is NOT easy!!! In USA you just get in your car and drive! Do you not know how many planes and trains you gotta get over here.

Europe is bigger than USA FYI!:

Europe is 10,180,000 km2
    US is 9,826,675 km2

This is another funny point, gas over there is SOO cheap compared to the price in the UK you wouldn't believe. You guys are always moaning about it when you don't know how we have it here..
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options

what means easier?...and Europe is smaller?...no way....
    i renew my passport a week ago...i paid 150$ only for that...for travel out of Greece...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257

i renew my passport a week ago...i paid 150$ only for that...for travel out of Greece...

:lol: Organizing a trip to attend several shows with planes, trains and accommodation (driving isn't really an option and if it was, affording gas would rule it out), through different countries, with different languages and different currencies, is much easier than traveling through the US, of course.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Brisk. wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Haha, have you ever toured in Europe? Touring in Europe is NOT easy!!! In USA you just get in your car and drive! Do you not know how many planes and trains you gotta get over here.

Europe is bigger than USA FYI!:

Europe is 10,180,000 km2
    US is 9,826,675 km2

This is another funny point, gas over there is SOO cheap compared to the price in the UK you wouldn't believe. You guys are always moaning about it when you don't know how we have it here..

Did you measure the United States by also including the distance from NY to Hawaii? :D That would be more fair if you are talking about seeing them wherever they play.

Of course the point I think he was making is that while perhaps the US and EUR are very close in size, isnt it true that they really don't play that many shows to the far east of EUR?
  • Options
    myra wrote:

:lol: Organizing a trip to attend several shows with planes, trains and accommodation (driving isn't really an option and if it was, affording gas would rule it out), through different countries, with different languages and different currencies, is much easier than traveling through the US, of course.
    true....one country you pay 1$ for a bottle water...you travel 1 hour to the next one...and you pay 4$...
    and dont have to mention Scandinavia...wtf up there...so so expensive...
    and gas at Europe/?/??..better buy diamonds than gas..
  • Options
    Sugar-MagnoliaSugar-Magnolia Loveland, CO Posts: 233
    If PJ21 is at AV I will attend and here's why: I fucking love Pearl Jam.
    Peace.
    *Denver 04-01-2003*ACL 10-04-2009*Colombus 05-06-2010*Noblesville 05-07-2010*Bridge School 10-23 & 10-24-2010*PJ20 09-03 & 09-04-2011*Deluna Fest 09-21-2012*Wrigley Field 07-19-2013*Ok City 11-16-2013*Moline (Rail, Hometown!)10-17-2014*St Paul 10-19-2014*Milwaukee 10-20-2014*Denver 10-22-2014*
    *Ed Solo: Detroit 06-26-2011, Chicago 06-29-2011*
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    God, you're right. Going to see PJ again at Alpine Valley would be the most awful thing in the world.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    YLed2 wrote:
    God, you're right. Going to see PJ again at Alpine Valley would be the most awful thing in the world.
    :lol: