scottstappsucksscottstappsucks Posts: 991
edited February 2012 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Oh wow :( he looks terrible...
  • Options
    Oh wow :( he looks terrible...

Yeah it's sad. I'm such a Layne die hard though that I'm happy to finally get a look at Layne from this period, everything about the man fascinates me especially this mysterious period. Been looking for YEARS to get a confirmed photo from this late, but the latest one up to this point was the Grammys in February 1997.

I've contacted one of the guys who is in the photo with Layne, it was for sure taken sometime between Halloween 1998-Halloween 2001. Hopefully I can find out the specific date.
  • Options
    :( so sad.. i'm a huge Layne Staley fan, so sad to see him like that...
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Kinda looks like Geddy Lee, no?
  • Options
    Not the first pic i've seen of him post- 97
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    He looks pale, but not nearly as bad as I'd imagined or what the rumors indicated.
  • Options
    Not the first pic i've seen of him post- 97

What photos have you seen? Can you post them?
  • Options
    nah, you can tell his mom doesn't want her son remembered in that way, it's nothing to exploit.
  • Options
    An update to the story for those interested, the photo is from October 2001, just 6 months before Layne died. http://grungereport.net/?p=10532
  • Options
    Jesus...I haven't looked yet. Frankly, I'm afraid to look, given how he looked as far back as 1996. I'll have to work up to it. I ADORE Layne...and I'm not really sure I want to see this.
  • Options
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Jesus...I haven't looked yet. Frankly, I'm afraid to look, given how he looked as far back as 1996. I'll have to work up to it. I ADORE Layne...and I'm not really sure I want to see this.

His face looks similar to Unplugged, just a bit thinner. The hair and SUPER pale skin is surprising, but the photo isn't as bad as you'd expect it to be.
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    It's always good to see Layne. He was an awesome man and a great musician.
  • Options
    One of the most unique and haunting voices I have ever heard.
  • Options
    One of the most unique and haunting voices I have ever heard.

He had a very chilling voice. We'll probably never hear anything exactly like it again.
  • Options
    PKTrekGirl wrote:

His face looks similar to Unplugged, just a bit thinner. The hair and SUPER pale skin is surprising, but the photo isn't as bad as you'd expect it to be.

Okay...I worked my way into looking today - thanks for the encouragement. Because you are right - not as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, you can tell he is wearing about 4 layers of clothes, probably to bulk himself up for public consumption. But while he looks very thin, he doesn't look any worse than in in this video of the Moore Mad Season show in 1995:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7B659Ry ... re=related

Still, seeing video of him from this period is sort of sad to watch - bittersweet. As a huge AIC/Layne fan, I am grateful for every scrap of Layne I can get...but watching his decline is so heartbreaking.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    nah, you can tell his mom doesn't want her son remembered in that way, it's nothing to exploit.

then what was the point of posting that? I'm not going to be one of those who say they have no interest in seeing him post AIC years, i admit i would like to see. But if you wont post then dont bother saying it. that or your just BS'ing.

He honestly doesnt look as bad as I thought he would. that said, he still looks terrible.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options

then what was the point of posting that? I'm not going to be one of those who say they have no interest in seeing him post AIC years, i admit i would like to see. But if you wont post then dont bother saying it. that or your just BS'ing.

He honestly doesnt look as bad as I thought he would. that said, he still looks terrible.

Because he posted that it was the first ever, but it's not.
  • Options

Because he posted that it was the first ever, but it's not.

It's the first ever I know of online unless there's another one you know of, nothing else has been 100% confirmed like this. This one below that many think is late 90's is New Years Eve 1997 according to somebody who looked into it a couple years back. They could be wrong but that's what I heard.

20_new11.jpg
  • Options
    SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    I hate drugs. Fuckin hate them.

R.I.P. Layne.
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • Options
    I just read that book by Mark Yarm, "Everybody Loves Our Town," about all the bands that emerged from Seattle in the late '80s, early '90s...great read for anyone interested in the music that came out of there at that time..good stuff about Layne in there
    ResonantPassage Indie Music Blog
    www.resonantpassage.net
  • Options
    SxDx1982 wrote:

R.I.P. Layne.

The catch 22 though is that AIC may not have been nearly as good if it wasn't for the demons that Layne had. It's sucks to look at it that way, but it's true.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    SxDx1982 wrote:

R.I.P. Layne.

The catch 22 though is that AIC may not have been nearly as good if it wasn't for the demons that Layne had. It's sucks to look at it that way, but it's true.

I was thinking about the same thing. A lot of their songs deal with drugs and Layne's personal issues and they are some of my favorite AIC songs because of the honesty and raw emotion. I wondered what they would have been like without them.
  • Options
    HarpsyHarpsy Posts: 83
    I've been listening to Mad Season a lot recently. "Wake Up" is such a sad, profound song.

Slow suicide's no way to go indeed :(
  • Options
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    SxDx1982 wrote:

R.I.P. Layne.

I was thinking about the same thing. A lot of their songs deal with drugs and Layne's personal issues and they are some of my favorite AIC songs because of the honesty and raw emotion. I wondered what they would have been like without them.

Even if he got off of drugs it would have still dominated his lyric and songwriting process. You never lose the feelings just how you deal with them.

It's like saying, hey if Ed grew up with his real father we wouldn't have had a lot of great early PJ songs.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Okay...I worked my way into looking today - thanks for the encouragement. Because you are right - not as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, you can tell he is wearing about 4 layers of clothes, probably to bulk himself up for public consumption. But while he looks very thin, he doesn't look any worse than in in this video of the Moore Mad Season show in 1995:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7B659Ry ... re=related

Still, seeing video of him from this period is sort of sad to watch - bittersweet. As a huge AIC/Layne fan, I am grateful for every scrap of Layne I can get...but watching his decline is so heartbreaking.
    thank you for posting this song
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I just read that book by Mark Yarm, "Everybody Loves Our Town," about all the bands that emerged from Seattle in the late '80s, early '90s...great read for anyone interested in the music that came out of there at that time..good stuff about Layne in there
    like the group TAD
    http://youtu.be/DX0WiCJEnUA - wood goblins

:mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    alice in chains and drug use was the same thing, one went with the other. i snorted huge ass rails and never felt like alice in chains need come out of the cd disc changer or the player in my car. i had no pupils in my eyes, totally absent from me and light. dilated is it? fuckin on...

http://youtu.be/Nco_kh8xJDs ~ would

http://youtu.be/Zxmt4PX6gto ~ angry chair

no photos new or older of layne. just a few songs i throughly enjoy.

resting well i hope mr. Layne
    you're badass

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/xw1CASDtCbU
    a classic of a show. i enjoy the 3rd and 4th songs , they start at 10 minutes in. this video about 45 minutes long. mad seasons @ the moore, 1995.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce