Options

so, I discovered acrylic...

zagizagi Posts: 414
edited January 2012 in The Art Wall
I'm always drawing or sketching something, but once I saw those beautiful acrylic paintings of band members here on the art wall, I fell in love. So I decided to get some canvases and some paint and try to do something other than graphite/ink doodle.
Sometimes it comes out of my head , sometimes I look at some random photo on my screen or even print a photo as a reference. I’m probably doing a lot of things wrong, I’m still learning, but it makes me happy …

a bit nerve wrecking but here they are:
http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/zzagi/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Very nice.
    I really like them all but especially the jelly fish!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    thank you! :)
    that's the last one i've done, i've tried to see how many different colors and shades can i mix and that's what i came up with
  • Options
    Fantastic!!! I love the wave. Will be amazing to see what you can do with some more experience; you already looked like a seasoned artist.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Acrylics are awesome. You should try mixing in some mediums with the paint, or over the top of them. I like impasto, which basically thickens up the paint, or you can use it on it's on straight onto the canvas - it's awesome for adding texture. Also gel medium is great to use in wave paintings, because it gives a watery shine (probably not the best way to describe it, but once you use it you'll see what I mean), and I LOVE iridescent medium - it gives the paint a mother-of-pearl finish which is amazing when light catches it.

Also - if you use Atelier acrylics, they're interactive, so you can use their unlocking formula which means you can essentially re-work layers of paint that are touch dry. That means it's closer to an oil paint feel when you are working with mixing/layering colours and working wet into wet paint.

Keep experimenting, you'll love it!
  • Options
    thank you both for your kind words and advices. i'll look if there's anything you mentioned in my local art store
  • Options
    Very nice Zagi, I especially like the Dali!
  • Options
    Beautiful work! The wave and wine glass Are my faves.
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    Great work! My dad always works with acrylic and never uses black, just shades of dark colours. I wish I could paint, alas that gene was only passed to my brothers. I love your wave and the portraits are great.
    all you need is love, love is all you need