Options

Question Re Let Me Sleep Single

jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
edited December 2011 in Lost Dogs
Hi

Just wondering if there was ever another unathorized pressing of this, or if there are bootlegs floating around.

One just old on ebay for $197 or something like that a few days ago... was about to pull the trigger and than i checked the seller's feedback... recently it looks like he's sold at least 5 or 6 of these things...

....so that got me thinking as to whether there were fakes going around
it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    I'm convinced there was another pressing or many bootlegs floating around. There were supposedly only 1,500 pressed, yet every couple days, for what seems like the last 15 years, you can find one on eBay.

Somebody posted a photo on here a while back too of a stack of dozens of Let Me Sleep records that were found in a record store or something.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Options
    JasonE wrote:
    I'm convinced there was another pressing or many bootlegs floating around. There were supposedly only 1,500 pressed, yet every couple days, for what seems like the last 15 years, you can find one on eBay.

Somebody posted a photo on here a while back too of a stack of dozens of Let Me Sleep records that were found in a record store or something.

thanks for the info... it just seemed too good to be true to me... and the worst part is the last one sold for almost $200. wow... the same seller sold like 6 of them in the past mnth
  • Options
    JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    JasonE wrote:

thanks for the info... it just seemed too good to be true to me... and the worst part is the last one sold for almost $200. wow... the same seller sold like 6 of them in the past mnth

I really don't know though. I think you can check the number that's pressed into the record to see if it's legit, but if they're being copied, that number can be duplicated too probably. Again, I really don't know though... just my guess.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Options
    yeah... but i wouldnt wanna drop even $100 to test that out
  • Options
    I've never seen it go for $200! was it sealed? Usually it goes for no more than $100! if that!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Paul David wrote:
    I've never seen it go for $200! was it sealed? Usually it goes for no more than $100! if that!

was as shocked as you you!
  • Options
    r we talking about the REM/Pearl jam 97 Christmas single? i bought one for 30
  • Options
    r we talking about the REM/Pearl jam 97 Christmas single? i bought one for 30

no, the 1991 fanclub single with the rhino on the cover

a side - let me sleep
    b side - ramblings
  • Options
    so had the chance to pick up the 1991 single for $125 in what looked like great shape. But, I was leery of it potentially being a fake. It probably was real, but how can you know for sure? I don't want to spend that kind of money on a fake and I didn't get an answer about how the seller aquired it before it sold to someone else. Its too bad those weren't actually numbered on the back, like the Benaroyas are. Like previously posted, there seems to be a lot of these floating around and I don't want to get f'd by getting a fake. Was disappointed though that it sold before I got a response, but I guess I'm just cautious on items like that. I figured it probably would sell pretty quick at that price, but I need some more information about how long the seller has had the item, where it came from, etc. before feeling confident about buying.

Any thoughts on this topic?
  • Options
    if it's in mint condition it's probably a fake.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    yeah, i was kind of wondering too. It said it never was played and stored since first aquiring. picture looked like it had a very small corner ding and thats it.
  • Options
    JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    Honestly, I think there are 15 thousand of these in circulation. I have my original single and I have a mint one I bought of ebay a few years back for like $40 bucks. Same single. Knock offs are easy to spot, side by side. It wasn't a knock off.

If you want one, I would buy one. Just don't pay 200 bucks for it.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Good to know, I saw the $200 one on eBay and almost picked it up...don't have that much dough to spend on vinyl, though.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    I have a bootleg vinyl copy that has 1991 and 1992 singles on one record. A couple sold on fleabay last week for about $40 USD.

I have the green version. There is also red and black.
    http://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-The-Fan-Club-Singles/release/1745726
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

None of them were ever sealed.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    I doubt there are any fakes of these. They seem to come up about as often as Benny's do. Vinyl prices have gotten ridiculous over the last few years, so the fact that some sucker paid $200 for one doesn't surprise me. They used to be pretty reasonable back in the day, which could explain why someone has multiple copies, but anything's possible!

Hey OP, I think I have an extra copy but the sleeve has a corner torn off if you're just interested in the record itself.
  • Options
    KC2917 wrote:
    I doubt there are any fakes of these. They seem to come up about as often as Benny's do. Vinyl prices have gotten ridiculous over the last few years, so the fact that some sucker paid $200 for one doesn't surprise me. They used to be pretty reasonable back in the day, which could explain why someone has multiple copies, but anything's possible!

Hey OP, I think I have an extra copy but the sleeve has a corner torn off if you're just interested in the record itself.

thanks for the offer, but i actually got one in a trade a few mnths back for some tshirts

someone else may be interested in that offer, i know a lot of people are seeking that one out
  • Options
    movaughnmovaughn Posts: 1,293
    I know I am looking for one. :D
    Alpine Valley - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley - Oct 08, 2000, Alpine Valley - Jun 21, 2003
    United Center - May 16, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
    Alpine Valley - Sep 03, 2011, Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Wrigley Field - August 20, 2016, Wrigley Field - August 22, 2016
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I know for sure mine isn't a bootleg. A great friend of mine won this in the mystery vinyl sale last year or 2 years ago. I had one I bought on ebay from years ago. He was contemplating getting rid of it so he could buy one of his holy grail posters. I convinced him to let me sell mine and I would take his never spun, straight from 10c copy for my collection.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    movaughn wrote:

help this guy out!
  • Options
    movaughn wrote:

help this guy out!

Thanks jimbojones.
    Alpine Valley - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley - Oct 08, 2000, Alpine Valley - Jun 21, 2003
    United Center - May 16, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, there arent any bootlegs of this. Discogs.com doesnt list any unauthorised pressings. Also, I think theyd be pretty easy to spot - its rare for 7" vinyl to be bootlegged anyway and when it is its usually coloured, or there are massive differences re. the Joy Division Sordide Sentimentale single. Similarly, the 1991 single has a glossy cover I think, if so thatd never be recreated in a bootleg.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    I have this, and i got it in part of a multi-vinyl trade a few months ago....

I would be pissed if it were a fake. I reeeeeeeally don't believe it is. And someone said if there was it'd be easy to spot, what would i be looking for?
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    the only reason why i had intially asked if there were fakes was the seller on ebay had sold about 6 or 7 of them in a short period of time. i guess it is possible for someone tohave multiple copies though
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Its the only one I dont have. Just cant bring myself to spend the coin.
  • Options
    the only reason why i had intially asked if there were fakes was the seller on ebay had sold about 6 or 7 of them in a short period of time. i guess it is possible for someone tohave multiple copies though

If that's who I think it is, they have another one up now. Along with another 92 and some others. I can't believe they have so many 91 and 92s. I still need a 92. Along with 96 and 05.