Options

Questions about traveling for Euro Tour

JR_Loves_PJJR_Loves_PJ Posts: 22
edited December 2011 in The Porch
Hey everyone,
So I have a few questions that I'm hoping either some Ten Clubbers can help with. The Euro tour will be my first time traveling outside of the U.S. for Pearl Jam and as I'm traveling on a budget (I probably can't really afford this trip, but I love Pearl Jam and a la Parks & Rec, this is my "Treat Yo' Self 2012"). I'm going out for the Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen shows and was wondering if any of you have done those cities before and can recommend moderately priced hotels/places to stay that maybe you've been to (or that are maybe close to the venues and easy to get to)? I am looking into things like couchsurfing.com, as well as trying to find friends of friends and such that may know people in those cities that could offer up a place to stay. Another idea was possibly meeting up with fellow Ten Clubbers and splitting costs of hotels- not sure if any of you have done that before... Does anyone have any tips, ideas, suggestions, etc. Anyone interested in traveling in a group? I'd love to hear anything you've got! Feel free to PM me if you'd like! Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Cheers,
--Julie
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hey Julie!
    the first post of this thread might help you... lot's of information about the cities and at the bottom is a list with hostels many people booked, so you can try to get a bed there and you won't be alone :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=177531
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    europe is expensive as hell!

best bet is to travel like your typical backpacker ... keep it light and buy a lonely planet ... stay in hostels, eat at dives and/or supermarkets ... get a good set of running/walking shoes ... learn to take public transit ... and above all of that ... research research research ... read what the customs are ... what you are expected to spend ... many of the cities you are going are some of the most expensive in europe and possibly the world ... be wary of that ...

you have some time until then but i would suggest this ... it may sound a bit crazy ... but you never know:

start a travel with julie to see PJ in europe thread ... tell everyone a little about yourself and see who might be interested ... traveling with someone can make things easier and safer and more cost effective however, it is not easy ... many friendships have been lost traveling ... hahaha ... you'll want to find someone you can get along with, who you can trust and who is going to be compatible with you both personally and financially ... there are a lot of days in between shows and you would be remiss in not seeing some sights so, you'll want to find someone who is going to want to do all that ... all within the budget you have ...

good luck!
  • Options
    the manchester amsterdam shows are better now that each city got 2, better than over priced scandanavia if you ask me, it cheaper for people from north america anyway, and amsterdam i can puff the ganja all day thats winning :D
  • Options
    Absolute stream of consciousness here.....

It's cheaper to fly between shows (just like north america), try and eat cheaply and not drink in bars, drink in hostels if you stay in them. Oh yeah, stay in hostels as they are cheaper than hotels (as long as you dont mind sharing with strangers) I have both equally amazing and horrendous stories from hostels all over the world.

Save your money for PJ merch, lots of cities have cheap/free museums and art galleries. lots of places of interest can be free, book in advance for all flights as they double/triple if you book on the day.

Rather than buying an entire countries book from lonely planet you can get city guides, or download the pages and cities you want from their website. Talk to people but of course be wary and sensible.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm definitely going to check out the links that were posted in the other forum- looks like there is some good stuff there! I'm now realizing that I made it sound like I was traveling alone, but I will have a friend with me, we're just looking to travel as cheaply as possible when it comes to lodging, so I said I would reach out to the other Ten Clubbers who may be going to the shows. Keep the tips and ideas coming! For those of you that have mentioned good and bad hostel experiences, are there any ones you can particularly recommend or tell me to avoid? Thanks again for the feedback!
  • Options
    anyone been in houseboats in amsterdam before? with the gap between manchester and amsterdam, we are lookin to rent a houseboat for a week in amsterdam, and get blazed until we are flying :lol:
  • Options
    anyone have good amsterdam coffeeshop recomendations? what the best coffeeshop for hash?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    if you need any help Julie,let us know where u can book,travel,hotel etc..for not be alone..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”