Present day Pearl Jam is much better than early 2000's

2»

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    rival. wrote:
    2000 pearl jam > life

!!!!!!!!!!! THIS!!!!!!!! ^^^^

Can I buy you a pint if you're coming to Europe?
  • Options
    2000 is the best!!! Eddies voice, the guitars weaving, imo they never played better, very intense, very tight, no faults.
    Compare 2000 boots to 2008 boots, 2008 is far far behind.
    2006 Arnhem - Antwerp - Paris 2007 Nijmegen - Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen - Arras - Werchter 2012 Amsterdam - Werchter - Arras - Berlin 2014 Amsterdam - Berlin - Werchter 2018 Pinkpop - London - Berlin - Werchter - London
    @BelgianPJfan
  • Options
    this thread is the opposite of on point...
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Brisk. wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    2000 pearl jam > life

!!!!!!!!!!! THIS!!!!!!!! ^^^^

Can I buy you a pint if you're coming to Europe?

OF COURSE YOU CAN! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303
    boyo79 wrote:
    I think the 2000 boots are "boring", but maybe that is cuz of the setlists. Enjoy 2003 the most.

That'll be because of Riot Act ;)

Gotta agree there... 2003 is my favourite after the '94 tour. I wish we had more soundboard boots from the '94 era.
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • Options
    PurlyjemPurlyjem Posts: 126
    For me the 2006 Tour was the best form of Pearl Jam! Especially the European shows. I mostly listen to the boots of the 2006 shows, all of them!
    "I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.."
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more. They've been on cruise control live since 2006. It's a party now. I get that some people prefer that. But in terms of shows where you walked out truly feeling like you'd just seen the greatest band in the world...I can't honestly say I've felt that way walking out of a single show since Philadelphia 2005. I always have fun, they're always excellent, and I never regret going, but it feels like each show has a ceiling to it now in terms of the heights it can reach, whereas pre-2006 it always felt like the sky was the limit when the lights went down.
  • Options
    Lament wrote:
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more. They've been on cruise control live since 2006. It's a party now. I get that some people prefer that. But in terms of shows where you walked out truly feeling like you'd just seen the greatest band in the world...I can't honestly say I've felt that way walking out of a single show since Philadelphia 2005. I always have fun, they're always excellent, and I never regret going, but it feels like each show has a ceiling to it now in terms of the heights it can reach, whereas pre-2006 it always felt like the sky was the limit when the lights went down.

Completely agree. So true. They seem incredibly flat to me these days. A lot of the songs are a mess and Eddie's lack of lung capacity is staggering on some shows, though I will say, Hamilton 2011 sounded pretty strong this morning. With that said, they haven't been able to match the intensity of that 1998-2003 time period on stage. It was different than the early 90's stuff, but in a good way. They seemed like a very mature, focused rock band then. These days, like others have said, the shows are more of a party atmosphere. Corduroy hasn't been the same since the 1998 and 2000 tours. They haven't nailed Insignifigance since 2000 and Grievance lost its fire after 2003. Not to mention, songs were played at a good speed then as opposed to the breakneck speed they are played at now.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    PurlyjemPurlyjem Posts: 126
    I heard one of the Canada boots on PJ Radio yesterday, and was really dissapointed by Ed's voice, but it could be a bad night for him. (Saskatoon)
    "I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.."
  • Options
    I completely agree with this. Not to take away anything from the 2000 tour, but since '03, to me, they have kicked it into overdrive. Sure, they have an off-show here and there, but overall, they are better now. I haven't listened to a 2000 boot from beginning to end in a very long time. Give me a boot from 03, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10 or 11 anytime though.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Lament wrote:
    I don't think there's any better way to word this.
  • Options
    Lament wrote:

I just want to be the third person to agree with this. Very well put. I haven't felt that real magic since Ottawa '05. I still have a blast at all the shows that I attend now, but it's not the same as it was in the late 90's early 2000's. It didn't matter what songs they played because the performance was so intense and the playing was so tight and on point. These days it feels like the setlists are stacked to appease the hardcore fans and make up for the lack of epic musical moments. It's still one of the best live shows you can see though.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    PJ 2000 played in Scotland so no contest.... :evil:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    Completely agree. So true. They seem incredibly flat to me these days. A lot of the songs are a mess and Eddie's lack of lung capacity is staggering on some shows, though I will say, Hamilton 2011 sounded pretty strong this morning. With that said, they haven't been able to match the intensity of that 1998-2003 time period on stage. It was different than the early 90's stuff, but in a good way. They seemed like a very mature, focused rock band then. These days, like others have said, the shows are more of a party atmosphere. Corduroy hasn't been the same since the 1998 and 2000 tours. They haven't nailed Insignifigance since 2000 and Grievance lost its fire after 2003. Not to mention, songs were played at a good speed then as opposed to the breakneck speed they are played at now.

100% agree. i think during the 2000 tour you saw a change from rockers to MUSICIANS. many focused and put together performances. some of their best.

and spot on with insignificance. that song is a mess now. which is a shame, it's a cool song.
  • Options
    insignificance 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMN4WaE7nOY

insignificance 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7XNGtnF_A

2010 lacking a ton of punch and eddie just sounds worn out.
  • Options
    pierj53 wrote:
    Ok first off saying I'm a big fan dosn't provide enough....So I'm not trying to nitpick

So I received Showbox (From 2002) and Touring Band (2000) I believe, and it's almost like Eddie has no passion in his performances compared to 03 -present day. Correct me if I'm wrong but in those shows he almost seems as if he's in some sort of trance. Fast forward to my first show in Buffalo in 03 and they were amazing. Perhaps it's just the low quality of the DVD's???

The band's energy now is off the chart...In his water on the road performance you can feel the emotion.

Just my two cents..PJ is amazing just wanted to see if anyone else shared the same thoughts about the band in the early 2000's.

Exactly what others have been saying. That was a bad time for the band. We are lucky they are still even around. It was an especially dark time for Mike also.

They are in a much different place today and I am so glad they are. PJ20 was fantastic as I'm sure the shows following were.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    rival. wrote:

He sounds like that all the time now. :(
  • Options
    rival. wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. 2010 was pretty good. 2000 was good too, don't get me wrong, but he is not lacking punch to me.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    The dude's in his late 40s, of course it's not gonna compare to 2000 when he was 35...

I love threads like these, it's like everyone expects Ed to magically sing and act as if he was 28 again. :roll: It's not gonna happen. Pearl Jam is aging and maturing just like any band that's been around 20+ years. Just enjoy the current/recent performances for what they are, a solid rock band giving you a pretty good live show.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    rival. wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. 2010 was pretty good. 2000 was good too, don't get me wrong, but he is not lacking punch to me.

Come on, he is lacking punch now versus then. In 2000 he was even lacking punch. It's been obvious to any fan that is the slightest objective. I just saw Chris Cornell and the dude nailed every song without straining his voice. Ed strains his voice all the time to reach even half of the note he is trying to hit. Ed then follows up the miss with some random grunt to try to mask it.

Just trying to be honest. I like Ed's singing now more then ever, but I know some of the power is gone. Why can't people on here accept that? A casual observer could listen to an uptempo Pearl Jam live song and say that Ed struggled at this part and that part of the song. It's fine though.
  • Options
    Cornell quit smoking and drinking, Ed didn't.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    rival. wrote:

Ed sounds like he has less breath because he is actually putting a lot more energy into the 2010 version.. He was so mellow in 2000.

Both are good versions of that song, but I prefer the 2010 version where Ed actually looks like he wants to be singing.