Options

Holy Grails! If you got 'em, let us see!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'd just like to put out a word of caution to anyone finally getting their holy grail poster: Do not let it sit in an ill-suited frame for too long. Humidity and such will get to it and create waves in the print. It's best not to sit on true glass, though plexi isn't as much of a concern.

The frame i currently have it in (as you see in the pictures), lol, is a $16 frame from target. It's just something to keep in protected until next payday when i'm going to order a custom made frame for it that fits perfectly.

It'll be plexi, i don't have ANY frames with glass.

Thanks for the heads up though.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    MattCam420 wrote:
    That is a really cool poster! Congrats. My holy grail is Dallas 98 poster, one of my favorite shows that I attended. I will never get that damn poster :lol:

Also, the MSG II Donkey Kong. When I got to the merch booth they were all gone :( I got the ramones and buzzsaw shirt however.

Once again, awesome poster man!

Never say never. I had begun to think that way about this one, and i'd only seen it on ebay maybe 3 times in 5 or 6 years. And everybody on ebeans with it never wanted to sell.

Just be patient.... there'll be one out there, somewhere, eventually. I literally checked ebay every single day for the past 6 months. And one day, there it was.

agreed....it'll turn up if you're willing to pay the going rate ;)

IMG_3117.jpg

the donkey kong, I wouldn't think would be too tough...

Awesome! I should have gotten that poster at the show but the merch store across the street was like a mile long. All out when I got up to it :( Did you get it at the show? Still my favorite show I have attended because Yield is my all time favorite record.

Glad people are getting their holy grails though, very cool. Maybe one day I will. Thanks for sharing your collections.
    "Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age, and beyond color straight to the mind and heart of all people." - Ben Harper
  • Options
    DamiensDamiens Posts: 766
    Talking about people using the 98 posters as dorm posters. When I moved dorms had both my 98 Denver and 98 St.Loius "dry matted" at a local art shop. Still have them to this day, seemed like such a good idea at the time...
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I took it to American Frame today and I will hopfully have it before the weekend.

Then, I just have to figure out how to get pictures of it on here !
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    I've got a 98 KC with staple marks in all corners. Not my doing, but not the poster's undoing either. Was not my holy grail, but I thought i'd point out that corner holes don't ruin a poster if you're going to matte/frame it. Don't let imperfections stop you from getting the print you want most at a reduced price.
  • Options
    IMG_2445-1.jpg
    OH: You need to stop buying Pearl Jam stuff, we have no room
    Me: How about we just get a bigger house?

http://db.etree.org/DirtyStuart
    http://randomismsofa.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Is that a real Reenk Roink?
  • Options
    Have an original Pearl Jam Mookie Blaylock shirt given to us by Kelly Curtis in the offices of Curtis Management in '91. Also he gave us official Pearl Jam, Curtis Management and Alice In Chains business cards (as well as letting us watch the 'Alive' video on a HUGE TV and giving us a lot of other stuff).

And a setlist/ticket from the Borderline show in '92.
    1992 - 3/2 Southend Esplanade, 4/2 London Borderline, 21/2 Manchester International II, 25/2 Nottingham Rock City, 26/2 Birmingham Edwards No.8, 27/2 Bradford Queens Hall, 28/2 London ULU, 6/6 London Finsbury Park
    2000 - 4/6 Manchester Evening News Arena
    2006 - 20/4 London Astoria, 25/8 Leeds Festival
    2009 - 17/8 Manchester Evening News Arena
    2010 - 25/6 Hard Rock Calling
    2012 - 20/6 Manchester Arena, 21/6 Manchester Arena, EV 28/7 Manchester Apollo
    2014 - 8/7 Leeds Arena, 11/7 Milton Keynes
    2018 - 18/6 London O2 Arena, 19/6 London O2 Arena, 14/7 NOS Alive
    2022 - 8/7 Hyde Park, 9/7 Hyde Park
  • Options
    defsteve wrote:
    Have an original Pearl Jam Mookie Blaylock shirt given to us by Kelly Curtis in the offices of Curtis Management in '91. Also he gave us official Pearl Jam, Curtis Management and Alice In Chains business cards (as well as letting us watch the 'Alive' video on a HUGE TV and giving us a lot of other stuff).

I'm curious about the Mookie shirt. I was talking to Dave Krusen a while back and he said that the 5 of them were given shirts, but there were only 5. Surely it's not the same shirt and there were re-productions? I think he said it was long sleeved? Either way, i'd like to see what it looks like? Photo?

So you worked for the band back then eh? That must've been pretty cool!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    defsteve wrote:

I'm curious about the Mookie shirt. I was talking to Dave Krusen a while back and he said that the 5 of them were given shirts, but there were only 5. Surely it's not the same shirt and there were re-productions? I think he said it was long sleeved? Either way, i'd like to see what it looks like? Photo?

So you worked for the band back then eh? That must've been pretty cool!

Nah we were on holiday. Had been in touch with Curtis Management previously because loved Mother Love Bone. We were on holiday in Vancouver and went up to Seattle for a few days. Kelly said there were only 12 shirts made and gave us one.....as he knew we were big followers/fans. It is short sleeved and has 10 Club on the back. This was in October 1991.
    1992 - 3/2 Southend Esplanade, 4/2 London Borderline, 21/2 Manchester International II, 25/2 Nottingham Rock City, 26/2 Birmingham Edwards No.8, 27/2 Bradford Queens Hall, 28/2 London ULU, 6/6 London Finsbury Park
    2000 - 4/6 Manchester Evening News Arena
    2006 - 20/4 London Astoria, 25/8 Leeds Festival
    2009 - 17/8 Manchester Evening News Arena
    2010 - 25/6 Hard Rock Calling
    2012 - 20/6 Manchester Arena, 21/6 Manchester Arena, EV 28/7 Manchester Apollo
    2014 - 8/7 Leeds Arena, 11/7 Milton Keynes
    2018 - 18/6 London O2 Arena, 19/6 London O2 Arena, 14/7 NOS Alive
    2022 - 8/7 Hyde Park, 9/7 Hyde Park
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    why are 98 posters so hard to find?

They weren't seen as collectibles. People hung them up on their walls with pin tacs or just folded them up...treated them like any other college-dorm room poster.

From what I remember and have read they were really cheap too. Like 10 bucks for a show poster. Framing was still pretty expensive back then (and the average age of fans was probably younger). I was 20 when I went to the Seattle 98 show so even if I did buy the poster, I was in university so it would have been hard to justify spending $100+ to frame a 10 dollar concert poster. I mean I remember one day I was in a music store and in their free poster bin I found the live on 2 legs promo poster (the one with the red concert photo on one side and all the ames tour posters on the other). Even though it looks awesome and I wish I had taken better care of it, it was a free poster so the edges are all dented and I am sure there is at least one pinhole in every corner.

Plus I am not sure about other shows on the tour, but the seattle show was out doors in a huge soccer stadium. I can see how a lot of posters probably didn't make it out of the stadium without getting beat up (since really who in those days would have thought to bring a poster tube to a show?). So the posters were really rare to begin with, and a lot probably haven't survived since then in good condition. At the same time they look awesome so demand is super high and the supply is jut not there to meet it.
  • Options
    It's amazing to see the price difference from 1998 to 2000 in terms of posters. Sure, they made more 2000 prints, but the dropoff is huge (aside from Roskilde).

Even back then, it was nearly impossible to get a '98 you didn't obtain at a show yourself. There were some generous people on BRY back in the day, too.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    It's amazing to see the price difference from 1998 to 2000 in terms of posters. Sure, they made more 2000 prints, but the dropoff is huge (aside from Roskilde).

Even back then, it was nearly impossible to get a '98 you didn't obtain at a show yourself. There were some generous people on BRY back in the day, too.

Not quite impossible. Ten Club sold the left over posters through the merch section of the newsletters. Check this out, you could buy 98 posters for $12

http://www.thecolorsblend.com/article_ten_club.php
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Correct. And I recall thinking I didn't need to spend money on posters to shows I didn't attend. I didn't even buy the Barrie poster at the show, and because of that - I didn't know the posters were silkscreened and something more than your standard type poster. I didn't want anything to do with holding onto an expensive (at the time) piece of paper in a mosh pit. It took me years to track one down in trade.

And per that link, I was at the Buffalo '96 show and they definitely sold the Randall's Island poster by Ward Sutton. Again, a print for a show I didn't attend - didn't feel the need. I think it was $8.
    Post edited by AfghanTwilight on
  • Options
    JMoJMo Posts: 1,071

Not quite impossible. Ten Club sold the left over posters through the merch section of the newsletters. Check this out, you could buy 98 posters for $12

http://www.thecolorsblend.com/article_ten_club.php

The best place to get the 98 tour posters was from Ames, back in the day. They were cheap, and they were mint. Some of there stock was signed and numbered, some was not.

I was lucky enough to tour the 'Ames house' and see the basement, with stacks of 98's. But even then, I was poor. But the coolest thing in the whole place was the No Code art hanging above the stairs. All those polaroids, pretty damn awesome!
  • Options
    Is that a real Reenk Roink?

Yup.
    OH: You need to stop buying Pearl Jam stuff, we have no room
    Me: How about we just get a bigger house?

http://db.etree.org/DirtyStuart
    http://randomismsofa.blogspot.com