Options

Jobs

shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
edited October 2011 in A Moving Train
I watched 60 minutes last night and boy did Steve come off as a complete asshole. What a miserable man. ANyone else watch that last night?The thing that closed it for me on how much of an asshole you are was when they said he would park in handicapped spots just because he hated rules. Well dickhead, it's not a rule it's a way to help people with disabilities get through their day with a little more comfort. That has nothing to do with rules but has everything to be an asshoile.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    I have this on DVR and will probably watch it tonight but am anticipating I will feel the same way from all the exerpts I have seen and read. Not sure why he would want things to come out this way after he died. Seems like a bitter dude. We'll see.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,750
    It's not surprising that someone who spent so much of his life producing a 'reality distortion field' when it came to Apple products could make us all believe that he wasn't an a-hole in real life, in spite of SO much evidence to the contrary.

That biography will be a very interesting read, to be sure.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    The guy may have come across as an ass hole but he was an incredible man.

I saw a show in the Uk last night about him and Apple and I gotta say I thought he was a genious.

I dont really care if he was a prick.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    philthehip wrote:

I saw a show in the Uk last night about him and Apple and I gotta say I thought he was a genious.

Eh, brilliant dude, no doubt. Definitely changed the world. Don't really think that gives anyone the right to be a complete asshole though. The dude blasted Bill Gates at every chance he could but Jobs doesn't seem like half the man Gates is.
  • Options
    Didn't watch that but I knew he was an asshole already... He might have been a genious but he was an idiot and I don't think that should just disappear because he died. Glad they showed it like it was. He's not the first and won't be the last genious prick...
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

Eh, brilliant dude, no doubt. Definitely changed the world. Don't really think that gives anyone the right to be a complete asshole though. The dude blasted Bill Gates at every chance he could but Jobs doesn't seem like half the man Gates is.

I didnt mean it gave him the right to be a prick but ultimately its not what he should be remembered for.
    His work and the impact he has had on modern culture surely has more importance
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Also what I got from the segment was that Jobs was more of a Marketing guy if anything. He didn't write code orinvent most of the products but he knew how to sell them.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I just want to add, not knowing a whole lot about him,
    money can make for some not so nice people.

Being on a mac, each time I opened a new window, since he passed,
    I have looked in his eyes and I felt this could be true.

A huge test of character money is and how you treat or mistreat people,
    how you look at the human world through your eyes.
    I don't mean being charitable, more like equals with respect.
    This can get lost in affluence.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Sure he was a prick at times...just guessing though...most CEO's of a great company are probably pricks at some point.

If being a prick means bringing quality, stylish and user friendly products to market then I wish more companies had pricks in charge.

Even though his flaws came to light I don't think any less of him...I was pretty sure he was human and all human have flaws...he allowed for those flaws to written...big deal.

He was still the visionary behind apple and he may not have been the designer but he was the one who had the vision for how he wanted apple products to work...he then went about overseeing that it got to market and then marketed it.

I was impressed with the modest lifestyle that the jobs family lead despite great wealth....

As for charity...I have come to understand that he did many things anonymously.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    Death makes people great.. whether by invention, creativity or being famous. People don't wanna talk about the dead and glorify them instead... it's pathetic. I have no issue calling a spade, a spade.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I was always taught to never speak ill of the dead. In Jobs case he opened up to Isaacson, he knew full well that this would get published...that alone should be commended. Jobs wife even told Isaacson to include the bad stuff as well.

I'm sure many of Jobs competitors had some unkind words for Apple as well...just hasn't been published yet.

As for Jobs vs Gates or Microsoft vs. Apple or Apple vs. PC...I switched to Mac 10 years ago, bar none they are a superior machine with a superior OS than I've ever found on a PC. Now I'm sure Linux is better than all of them I'm just not tech savy enough to be comfortable with Linux.

The last PC I ever owned was an HP...got it home...out of the box started using it...constantly freezing up...called HP...was told it was an OS problem...gave me a number to Microsoft...Microsoft wanted to charge me a fee, this computer was less than a week old but because it was bought off HP it was up to them to solve the problem, HP solution re install everything...the motherboard fried in 2 years.

Then bought apple...had all kinds of questions from apple when I first got it...the apple customer service was great, answered my question, solved my problems...never would go back to a PC.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon