Options

Pearl Jam - Ole

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    I don't really understand how the same band that gave us "Given to Fly", "Even Flow", or even b-sides like "Sad" could get excited enough by this riff to bother making a song out of it.
  • Options
    I loved the song! My boyfriend didn't, but his theory is that they did something they like instead of something for people to like...
    As far as I'm concerned, I hope it's a part of the next album and that's it's representing a bit of a change from backspacer (not that I don't like backspacer, I'd just like to see them move in a different direction next).~

OLÉ!!!
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned, I hope it's a part of the next album and that's it's representing a bit of a change from backspacer (not that I don't like backspacer, I'd just like to see them move in a different direction next).~

OLÉ!!!

But I don't see ole as a change in direction, it sounds like it could fit right in on backspacer.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    Well, I see what you mean... I agree that Ole would have fit in Backspacer, but I think that Just Breathe or Amonst the waves would be a better "preview" for Backspacer than The fixer, for example, see what I mean?
    So, in a way, IF Ole was to be a "preview" for the nex album, I think it could be great one, or at least one I'd love, with its punk(ish) inffluences and all :)
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,849
    Of the Earth was a great new song. This is not.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Eraserhead wrote:
    Of the Earth was a great new song. This is not.

"Of the Earth" is comperativly(sp? sorry, late at night and too much beer), an "old" song... It is a ST outtake...

I still wait for "cold consession" damnit. (also sp?)
  • Options
    I loved the song! My boyfriend didn't, but his theory is that they did something they like instead of something for people to like...
    OLÉ!!!

This theory is somewhat mindboggling. So he doesn't like it, for "normal" people (whatever this is) wouldn't like it, but it is something that band would love to play???

I would say more power to them.

It is a Ramones tribute. Nothing more and nothing less... Did it anyone strike it peculiar that this song was released in the same week (or near) when Johnhy Ramone has been passed away???
  • Options
    OLÉ!!!

This theory is somewhat mindboggling. So he doesn't like it, for "normal" people (whatever this is) wouldn't like it, but it is something that band would love to play???

It is a Ramones tribute. Nothing more and nothing less... Did it anyone strike it peculiar that this song was released in the same week (or near) when Johnhy Ramone has been passed away???

Not that he didn't like it, he just didn't love it, and it's not that weird that one doesn't like something that the band likes to play... Also it's not that weird that PJ, sometimes, do some things for themselves without considering the public acceptance... After 20 years, it's pretty much their right to do it (at least) once in a while :D

As far as I'm concerned, it reminded me precisely of the Ramones which is a band I love, so.... Hey! Oh! Let's go!!!
  • Options
    OLÉ!!!

Not that he didn't like it, he just didn't love it, and it's not that weird that one doesn't like something that the band likes to play... Also it's not that weird that PJ, sometimes, do some things for themselves without considering the public acceptance... After 20 years, it's pretty much their right to do it (at least) once in a while :D

As far as I'm concerned, it reminded me precisely of the Ramones which is a band I love, so.... Hey! Oh! Let's go!!!

hahahah, I stand corrected... Mae culpa...
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    veddertown wrote:
    october22 wrote:
    One of their worst.

I feel bad being negative but I have to be honest. I couldn't believe what I was watching when I saw it on Fallon. I felt almost....embarrassed.

It was so bad that I didn't even tell my brother (with whom I share all things Pearl Jam) about it because I didn't want to upset him :O

Sorry...

By the way, PJ20 book is mindblowing and can't wait to see the movie Saturday night!!
    I have to agree I'm afraid. I've given it enough listens now and it's not really at even the same standard of the less loved tunes of the past. It might just have sounded at home on Backspacer but for me that album is full of much better songs. It's not a disaster to write a bad song once in a while out of the hundreds of great ones. I agree about the book too.... jawdropping quality, I find it hard to put down.

I stand corrected..... 8-)

......... I don't know how it happened but I have to say, I love Ole!!! :mrgreen:

PLEASE PLAY SCOTLAND 2012.....
    :mrgreen:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Just not a fan of this song. It sounds lifeless and thrown together and the solo is just plain bad and misplaced. Not every song they write is going to be great.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    I think its their worst song but its actually really good live
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    An example of Pearl Jam displaying their sound diversity. The song is fast, catchy and pretty rough around the edges. Its a punk song. The majority of the band loves and grew up on punk. Not everyone has to love it, but respect the fact they're playing and paying homage to a musical style they obviously dig.

Definitely not their best song, but I like it and love that Pearl Jam's sound is diverse enough to explore different types of music, much like Led Zeppelin did (though never punk...that woulda been interesting!)

I think its just another mark of the incredible band they are, and adds just another reason to love them.
    'You know time is long, and life is short.
    Begin to live while you still can.'

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.-Gilda Radner
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    An example of Pearl Jam displaying their sound diversity. The song is fast, catchy and pretty rough around the edges. Its a punk song. The majority of the band loves and grew up on punk. Not everyone has to love it, but respect the fact they're playing and paying homage to a musical style they obviously dig.

Definitely not their best song, but I like it and love that Pearl Jam's sound is diverse enough to explore different types of music, much like Led Zeppelin did (though never punk...that woulda been interesting!)

I think its just another mark of the incredible band they are, and adds just another reason to love them.

No doubt. I think it gives another plot point to their musical coordinates. Stretching and expanding their already incredibly wide range...That, or I think it was specifically written simply as a deliberate short-cut to get the SA crowds into frenzy mode..haha I hope they rip it a few times this leg.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Aero83_ wrote:

No doubt. I think it gives another plot point to their musical coordinates. Stretching and expanding their already incredibly wide range...That, or I think it was specifically written simply as a deliberate short-cut to get the SA crowds into frenzy mode..; I hope they rip it a few times this leg.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    I cant help but think of that oasis song everytime i hear ole now... :( i like it, but i'd think it was a little better if it wasnt exactly the same minus different lyrics
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    i have a feeling 'ole' will be featured quite a bit this month
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i have a feeling 'ole' will be featured quite a bit this month

I'm guessing it will be played at least once at every show...twice two times.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Ole was one of the high points of the Vancouver show (for me)... really brought out the rage in Eddie :D
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,091
    edited August 2020
    boothman said:
    Reminds me of an Oasis song called "The Meaning Of Soul" but of course 10 times better
    The Meaning of Soul is at least 10 times better.

I don't know if this has been mentioned on here, but last weekend I Played Meaning of Soul/Olé to a friend because of how similiar the riff is. And he said they both ripped off:

https://youtu.be/5hid10EgMXE

HOW DEEP DOES THIS RABBIT HOLE GO
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 231
    Olé'....not a good song. Fine as a 'Lost Dog' and still better than 'Cant Deny Me'
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    Great song 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    This song always seems to get shit on so much.  I never understood the hate.  Definitely not their finest work, but still I think it’s a great fun rocker.  I was reading the first few pages of this thread and I think it’s funny how everyone seemed to love Olé when it first was released about 9 years ago.  Now it seems so many despise this one.