Options

Scott Weiland says Grunge was the last great music movement

scottstappsucksscottstappsucks Posts: 991
edited September 2011 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Didn't read the article, but the topic's subject line is hard to argue.
  • Options
    If ya say bands today don't have it, you haven't seen Arcade Fire. Or The Hold Steady. I can go on.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    I've tried and tried and I can't get into the Arcade Fire. There are some good bands today, but not to the extent of good bands there were in the grunge era.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I agree there's some great bands today, and it's just the changing times, but I think the alternative explosion was the last hugely successful movement.

I wonder if all the huge amphitheaters and concert venues will eventually be torn down, b/c I don't think there's many bands of the now that can fill them in the future. As big as people say Arcade Fire is , I don't see them ever being able to go on a cross country tour filling basketball arenas or outdoor sheds.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    He's right.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    DewieCox wrote:
    I agree there's some great bands today, and it's just the changing times, but I think the alternative explosion was the last hugely successful movement.

I wonder if all the huge amphitheaters and concert venues will eventually be torn down, b/c I don't think there's many bands of the now that can fill them in the future. As big as people say Arcade Fire is , I don't see them ever being able to go on a cross country tour filling basketball arenas or outdoor sheds.
    I worry more about the amphitheaters than the concert venues. Small concert venues are no issue, as they can be filled, and large concert venues are usually nothing more than temporarily repurposed sports venues. Amphitheaters, however, rarely have purpose beyond concerts.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    If ya say bands today don't have it, you haven't seen Arcade Fire. Or The Hold Steady. I can go on.

While these bands may be good (I like the Hold Steady, I just can't do Arcade Fire. I've tried), they do not have the global appeal that Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden had.

A lot of that also has to do with the times. Back then, people heard new music from MTV and the radio, and actually bought records, so obviously seeing and hearing them all the time helped.

But anyone who was old enough to remember the early 90's (which I would guess is most people on here) would remember how huge and commercial those bands became in a very short time, and how bands like Arcade Fire are nowhere near that global appeal.Yet anyways.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I worry more about the amphitheaters than the concert venues. Small concert venues are no issue, as they can be filled, and large concert venues are usually nothing more than temporarily repurposed sports venues. Amphitheaters, however, rarely have purpose beyond concerts.

Yeah, I guess there's not really many huge indoor "concert" venues. Arenas are just handy. Hopefully it means will get more venues built specifically for music.
  • Options
    bands like Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Flaming Lips (still), Pearl Jam (still), Black Keys, Radiohead, Death Cab, Avett Brothers, Mumford and Son, and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros have still carried the torch over the shit filled rive that echo's Nickleback's "Photograph" and drowns today's youth down it's "mainstream" (get it, river/stream, yuk yuk yuk).

So I would disagree. There is still interesting music being made by new younger bands and older still hip bands.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    To echo what someone else said: Bands today still have it, they are just marketed differently. MTV still plays music videos, but at like 3am- 7am. They have let reality tv take over, that is how they get their ratings. Music on MTV has pretty much taken a back seat, or is locked in the trunk. Music stores (Independent ones have dissapeared too. It's all about digital exposure now for the majority of bands I see listed on here that would be considered newer. Bands still make videos though, and big bands can still get airplay (New foo fighters album for example, would be an modern alternative band that is still having heavy publicity for an album on television.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Going to see STP tonight. Now I don't feel so guilty. ;)
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    Hold Steady is amazing
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I have to disagree, they sold out three consecutive nights at the UIC Pavillion. The National opened and they were great.
  • Options
    weve had 2 or 3 threads not on scott saying this, but voicing similar sentiments to him,

i loved/love grunge and its one of the conerstones of my youth. but to suggest no other musical movement has come out of the world, since 1994 is beyond ridiculous.

i think the whole point is that when you spend your time thinking new scenes or new movements will sound or look like grunge. Hair metal and grunge couldnt have been more different, in style, in sound, in lyrics, in ethics. and i think its quite clear the next nirvana, will sound nothing like Nirvana.

The 90's, early 90's were such a magnificent time, but i think its silly to suggest since 1994, nothing exciting music wise has appeared.
  • Options
    quimby20 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I have to disagree, they sold out three consecutive nights at the UIC Pavillion. The National opened and they were great.

With a capacity of 7k, in one one of the biggest cities in the world and a pretty well known support act. I'm talkin 20-30k.
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Never again. STP didn't take the stage until after 10:30 on a Sunday night. Fuck 'em. Never again.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I think he's right. It's very hard to pick out a defined "movement" now when you've got the indie guys on one side, the cock-rock "alternative" revival on the radio on another, the hip hop and mainstream pop kiddies in between. It's a jumble of sounds versus one defining culture.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    I think he's right. It's very hard to pick out a defined "movement" now when you've got the indie guys on one side, the cock-rock "alternative" revival on the radio on another, the hip hop and mainstream pop kiddies in between. It's a jumble of sounds versus one defining culture.

your comment that today on one side weve got the indie guys(and girls), on the other the cockrock alternative. and in between the kiddiepop and hip hop .. its all a jumble of sounds versus one defining culture is ludicrous. grunge was not the only music around back then. sure it was a punch in the face that reverberated for years but dont make out like it was the only thing around. music has always been a jumble of sounds. it just depends where the medias focus is as to what we see as dominant. for the most part its about what can we sell to the sheep...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say