Options

The Highline and the Renegade Cabaret

brokenarrowbrokenarrow Posts: 478
edited July 2011 in The Art Wall
The Highline (elevated train tracks) in NY have been turned into a garden. It opened on June 9th. I hadn't heard about it until a friend told me, she went and took a bunch of photos. It's a really cool idea and I think it will work.

Here is a little story which is due to the public gardens, the Highline is right next to a bunch of old apartments, with neighbors!
Check it out then watch the audio slide show. I think you guys will like this story also.
(Thought this was a good place on the forum to post this since it's art, at least to me it is anyway) ;)
I miss the city.

story
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/25/garde ... ret&st=cse

audio slide show
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009 ... index.html

Highline story
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... ens&st=cse

slides
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/0 ... index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    awesome!
    i remember reading about the plans for this ages ago...never saw anything else. thnks for the post.

and this:

MS. HEFFLEY, now a freelance multimedia consultant, moved to New York from Denver 31 years ago, eager to photograph Manhattan’s punk scene. She chose her apartment (rent, $360, now $841) because it was a place where she could make a lot of noise.

:shock:
    yowzers....lucky, lucky! :D

btw - absolutely it is art. it is urban design/renewal....and architecture/landscape.....absolutely art.

thanks for sharing!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    awesome!
    i remember reading about the plans for this ages ago...never saw anything else. thnks for the post.

and this:

MS. HEFFLEY, now a freelance multimedia consultant, moved to New York from Denver 31 years ago, eager to photograph Manhattan’s punk scene. She chose her apartment (rent, $360, now $841) because it was a place where she could make a lot of noise.

:shock:
    yowzers....lucky, lucky! :D

btw - absolutely it is art. it is urban design/renewal....and architecture/landscape.....absolutely art.

thanks for sharing!

Exactly how I feel, I love reading about renewal projects. I can't wait to take a walk on the highline now. This story just really moved me, I love the Chinese lanterns they hang on the fire escape, there is such a good feeling there.

Her story is interesting too, photographing the punk scene beginning in 1978, interesting. I would love to see her work especially since us kids began being a part of the punk scene in 1979 in NY. Wonder if she has any old pics of Max's KC... :ugeek: :)
  • Options
    well, finally made it to check out the highline, WELL worth it!
    went with mauichick from the board here, had a great time.
    plan on hitting it up again in about 2 weeks with mr. dream.
    i took some pics, i'll have to load em up on photobucket and then i'll share. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Man was supposed to go back to the high line with hubby over his vacation. We had other priorities first, one being going out to the vineyards and wine tastings ;) .....and now the weather is not being cooperative. :evil: See if we can make it tomorrow....and stage 2 is open now too!....otherwise have to wait until. A later date. Bummer. I've yet to upload my April pics, mea culpa, but I'll get to it!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    finally uploaded my pics from april...hereya go:

underhotel.jpg

treestracks.jpg

tracks.jpg

theparkrestaurant.jpg

redbudblooms.jpg

redtulips.jpg

peek.jpg

higlineview.jpg

highlineglass.jpg

grasses.jpg

escape.jpg

daffstracks.jpg

convergence.jpg

contort.jpg

bluebox.jpg

artview.jpg

up.jpg

looking forward to returning, hopefully before summer ends....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    So wonderful that you put up shots!!!!
    I'm glad you finally made it over there. I haven't been yet but still plan on checking it out. Love the way the plants are growing in the train track flower beds. So cool Dreams!!!