Options

vitalogy LP problem

dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
edited November 2008 in The Porch
howdy all,

all the vinyl threads i've read around here lately have inspired me to share the sad story of my vitalogy LP. i bought it the first day it came out, since vinyl was the only way you could get it on the first day.

i was in like 10th grade or something at the time and when i got it home i was so excited to play it, i tore it open, put it on the turntable...

...and was horrified to find that it skipped like a motherfucker as soon as the vocals on last exist start. man, i was disappointed.

and i still am. every so often i come across it in my record collection, and it's like...well, like someone is poking me in the eye. someone i don't like.

side one skips horribly through last exit, spin the black circle and about halfway through not for you, then plays fine to the end, and side two has the same kind of problem during parts of bugs, satan's bed and better man. i've played it on multiple turntables, which play other records fine, and always the same shit. you can see something weird, like a flaw in the vinyl, in the bad spots that i KNOW isn't just a scratch i made.

so, there it is, my sob story about the first brand new vinyl i ever bought. i guess i should've tried to DO something about it a long time ago...like call the sony customer service number or something...but i never did...so i'm doomed to a life of occasional irritation when i think of or see my vinalogy vinyl...grrrr...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    That really sucks. But if it is still bothering you that much you could buy another one.
    Nathan
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Get revenge on it lol
    Smash it with a sledgehammer!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Get revenge on it lol
    Smash it with a sledgehammer!

Yes, THAT. Good for you it will only run you $35 or so to fetch a new one.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    Your not the only one that happened to. Same thing happened to me when I got mine when it came out. I brought back to the record store and they told me a few other people had problems as well. Must have been a bad batch.

They gave me a new one and it worked fine.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I bought a sealed one in 96 or so from a record store only to find out it had a totally differnt record inside. Had to buy another on a couple years later which is the one I have today. I let the dog chew the shit out of the "other" record.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    . I let the dog chew the shit out of the "other" record.

Hahahaha.

These are going for dirt cheap on ebay these days. Shouldn't be too expensive to replace, since Vitalogy was the most pressed of the PJ vinyls.
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    yeah this is one lp that is everywhere on ebay right now...$11.99 for one a couple days ago....buy it again and get that thing outta your eye....
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • Options
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Adjust the tracking on your turntable?
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    bazzer wrote:
    Adjust the tracking on your turntable?

this made me LOL for real. funny shit.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Sounds like a defective pressing. It happens. I bought a new LP once that wouldn't play at all. You put the needle down and it goes berserk.
  • Options
    yoke wrote:
    Your not the only one that happened to. Same thing happened to me when I got mine when it came out. I brought back to the record store and they told me a few other people had problems as well. Must have been a bad batch.

They gave me a new one and it worked fine.

yeah, years later i figured that was probably what had happened, so thanks for verifying for me.

dunno why i didn't do something back in the day...just a dumb kid, i guess...
  • Options
    jbrowniejbrownie Posts: 135
    Hey, Sorry to hear about your problems w/ your Vitalogy LP. IMO, this is the cheapest (i.e.:thinnest) pressing of all of their albums. Mine plays fine, but has a slight warp that I haven't encountered with later, thicker platter pressings. No biggie; my needle can surf with the best of them. So long as the disc isn't scraping the turntable itself, I don't care so much about warpage as I used to.

Anyway, did you see, on the back cover of the Vitalogy booklet, this inscription?: "This album was manufactured to meet critical quality standards. If you believe the album has a manufacturing defect, please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-257-3880."

I make no guarantees this will still work (as this album was pressed roughly 14 years ago, and PJ is no longer with Epic/Sony/BMG/Whoever they are now), BUT this worked for me when I had problems with VS. I may have had to mail back my damaged copy, but they sent me a nice new copy, so it all washed out. I don't remember how they sent it (1st class USPS, I think), but it plays like a dream still, no warpage or chipped cover edges.

So it's worth a shot? EDIT: NO, IT'S NOT! Sorry my friend, calling the Phone # says the service is no longer operational & to try your original point of purchase, so sorry to get your hopes up. My bad, and Good luck.
  • Options
    jbrownie wrote:
    EDIT: NO, IT'S NOT! Sorry my friend, calling the Phone # says the service is no longer operational & to try your original point of purchase, so sorry to get your hopes up. My bad, and Good luck.

well, thanks for checking anyway...better than my lazy ass...
  • Options
    I actually had major problems with Riot Act. I bought three copies from three different places and all of them are warped. Then the LP started to become expensive so I just gave up.
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I bought a sealed one in 96 or so from a record store only to find out it had a totally differnt record inside.

I let the dog chew the shit out of the "other" record.

Out of curiousity, did you go back and complain? I would have....Usually the record store types are pretty understanding, since it sounds like you bought it used. Also do you remember what the "other" record was?

Funny...
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    (Ok) wrote:
    Out of curiousity, did you go back and complain? I would have....Usually the record store types are pretty understanding, since it sounds like you bought it used. Also do you remember what the "other" record was?

Funny...

yeah, i went back to complain but they didn't have any other vitalogy vinyls in stock. so he said since i had opened it, he would give me a store credit. i agreed cause i always shop there. i got another one soon after at another store and all was good. the other record was a techno vinyl which the name escapes me. I was so pissed i let my dog chew holes in it and i threw it away soon after. bad memories.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,