Options

eddie quit smoking??

love boat bobielove boat bobie Posts: 32
edited November 2008 in The Porch
i read on here a while back eddie had been cleaning his system out and hasnt smoked in a few days as part of the clean living. anybody know if he stayed off the smokes. i hope so, he isnt getting any younger and i want another 18 years out of pearl jam!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,612
    i read on here a while back eddie had been cleaning his system out and hasnt smoked in a few days as part of the clean living. anybody know if he stayed off the smokes. i hope so, he isnt getting any younger and i want another 18 years out of pearl jam!!

when eV joined the KOL on stage in Seattle a few weeks back, he shared a smoke,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Ed probably quits like most smokers. Once a week each year. :rolleyes: :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I think he stopped just part as the cleanse he was doing.

I quit smoking almost 2 1/2 months ago, I've quit before for a long time and then fallen back into smoking so hopefully this time around I won't.
    Quitting smoking is the hardest thing to do, i used to smoke pot and quit on July 2007 and I never looked back never bothered me, i miss it sometimes but I dont crave it like I do my cigarrettes :(
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    Mrs. Vedder is right. Quitting smoking pot was easy as hell, cigarettes on the other hand . . . is very difficult.

It can be done though. My mother just celebrated 15 years of being smoke free. She is 77 years old and there is no doubt in my mind had she not quit she would no longer be with us.
  • Options
    Mrs. Vedder is right. Quitting smoking pot was easy as hell, cigarettes on the other hand . . . is very difficult.

It can be done though. My mother just celebrated 15 years of being smoke free. She is 77 years old and there is no doubt in my mind had she not quit she would no longer be with us.

Yeah it can definitely be done. I try to think of my parents, when we moved back here from Peru they no longer had the brand that they used to smoke down there and they took that opportunity to stop smoking and that was 13 years ago...

I hope that when I'm 45 I can also say "I haven't smoke in 15 years" :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    I quit smoking when they were $.65 a pack.
    ;)
    Too much to pay for something that negatively effects your ability to taste and smell.

Of course, I believe that was before the tobacco companies added more drugs to cigarettes to make them even more addictive.

I applaud everyone who tries, even if they try over and over again.

Don't give up.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    When I quit smoking cigerettes, I got WAAAAAAY better at smoking pot.

There's no point to that sentance, but just thought I'd throw it out thur.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    I just turned down a smoke from a buddy. It was not easy. Immediately when I turned it down this thread popped up. Cool. Made me feel good. I've got 5 days under my belt. Gotta keep it up. I slip up on weekends when drinking.

Uggh.

I hate cigs.....and want one bad.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    he really quit ?

i hear he was absolutely smoking like a chimney-

onstage--

all throughout his solo performance in Newark,....
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    TipJammer wrote:
    I hate cigs.....and want one bad.

+1....sucks dude
    "The customer...is always...an ASSHOLE"

"The world fascinates me."

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you"

• Options
    I don't think he'll ever quit.

Bummer but I think he's a lifer. He's doing or did a cleanse. Who knows how long his nonsmokingness lasted. Not long as he was puffin it up at KOL.

I hope he's still on cleanse. It always feels so good to clean up your act.

Go Ed Go.

: )
  • Options
    I have already been to PJ shows where the cig thing was very much frowned upon. Its pretty typically the case in California. But...its good. We all need to quit that shit. So dumb....SO DUMB.

Can they please outlaw cigs and legalize weed?

Cigs = Litter

Cigs = Death

Cigs = Stinky

Cigs = Offensive

Cigs = Cancer

Cigs = Less Chicks

Cigs = Anti-athleticism

No Cigs = Life

No Cigs = No Death

No Cigs = Fresh Air

No Cigs = More girls

No Cigs = Less sickness

No Cigs = Health

LETS DO IT. QUIT!!!!!!
  • Options
    i was sitting here wanting one real bad. thats why i started this thread.
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    He needs to quit smoking to help his health and get his vocals back to strength.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    We quit the day we got back in the United States from the Vienna show in 2006. That was 9/27/06. I figure we have saved over $4,000.00 at a pack a day.
    Persistence is the key to quitting. Just keep on trying.
    Would be nice to see EV quit.
    I'm sure his kids will bug him about smoking when they get older.
    Hold On
  • Options
    Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
    I need a smoke
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    It's amazing how Ed's voice has actually gotten better over the years yet he has been smoking since the start of the band. Not that I'm condoning it or anything. I think it's gross.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    It's amazing how Ed's voice has actually gotten better over the years yet he has been smoking since the start of the band. Not that I'm condoning it or anything. I think it's gross.
    Listen to WWS, then SOLAT.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
    His voice has gotten much worse over the years, it almost sounds like he's in pain at times when he sings. He sounded terrible on Avacado, a noticable difference from Riot Act. But that's when happens when you sing aggressively for 20 years, I'm not blaming the cigs.
  • Options
    Anybody who wants to quit come over to the AET Thread and check out the "The Stop Smoking Cigarette Thread" :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Anybody who wants to quit come over to the AET Thread and check out the "The Stop Smoking Cigarette Thread" :D

Hint hint...*cough* Eddie...
    "The customer...is always...an ASSHOLE"

"The world fascinates me."

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you"

• Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 596

I read an interview in which he said he started after Kurt Cobain died.

Strangely enough, his voice took a turn downward after the '94 tour...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,271

never to late to give up!
    danny d
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    TipJammer wrote:
    I have already been to PJ shows where the cig thing was very much frowned upon. Its pretty typically the case in California. But...its good. We all need to quit that shit. So dumb....SO DUMB.

Can they please outlaw cigs and legalize weed?

Cigs = Litter

Cigs = Death

Cigs = Stinky

Cigs = Offensive

Cigs = Cancer

Cigs = Less Chicks

Cigs = Anti-athleticism

No Cigs = Life

No Cigs = No Death

No Cigs = Fresh Air

No Cigs = More girls

No Cigs = Less sickness

No Cigs = Health

LETS DO IT. QUIT!!!!!!

So are u telling me if i quit smoking, i get to live forever? NICE!
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    when did ed start having cigarettes?
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    the smokes may have helped change his voice but i think ed just got to carried away on the screaming in the 93\94 era. too much strain on the vocals. he made it sound so easy until the 95 tour and he strained the whole time. seems he has learned to adapt to the change. still sounds great to me!!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Totally utterly and completely hypothetical, but if Eddie walked up to you and said, "I'm willing to give up cigarettes if you would give up . . . " what would you have to give up that is equal to Eddie's giving up cigarettes?

Mine would be coffee as I was drinking coffee for around the same amount of time that Eddie was smoking. Another would be store bought sweets. That would actually be much harder.

And you?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    why can't they just put vitamins in them so i can move on with my life :D