Options

Jeff talks about new PJ album in Billboard interview

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited September 2008 in The Porch
This was taken from the last part of Jeff's interview about "Tone."

"Meanwhile, later this fall, Pearl Jam will reconvene to continue work on its ninth studio album with producer Brendan O'Brien.

"We have five or six almost finished instrumental beds, and maybe 15 other things from which we could definitely get three or four songs out of," Ament says. "Hopefully sometime this winter we will knock a record out. The goal is to know the songs front to back before we actually record them, which we haven't always done."

Ament is particularly excited to work again with O'Brien, whose last production credit on a Pearl Jam album was 1998's "Yield." "He's a great musician and we trust him, which is really important when you have a group of people with totally different opinion on whether a song is good or not," he says."
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 715
    cool.. i like how theyre goin about this know the songs before recording method. being a drummer and being in a band myself, you usually play better when you know the song completely. which always make for a better recorded performace.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    B o´B getting involved again, is nothing but goood news
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,485
    Hmmm... that last part about people disagreeing on whether or not a song is good is an interesting comment.

I wonder if Jeff is implying that he's not happy with some of the stuff they've put out recently.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    googoo Posts: 226
    On2Legs wrote:

I wonder if Jeff is implying that he's not happy with some of the stuff they've put out recently.

so what if he's not? ha ha.... I know I'm not!
  • Options
    On2Legs wrote:
    Hmmm... that last part about people disagreeing on whether or not a song is good is an interesting comment.

Seems like a legitimate concern any member would have. I would guess having a respected, objective opinion from an accomplished producer like BOB helps make the decision making less one-sided.

Wasn't the music for Of The Earth written by Jeff for the last album? I could be wrong.
  • Options
    bigbadbill wrote:
    This was taken from the last part of Jeff's interview about "Tone."

"Meanwhile, later this fall, Pearl Jam will reconvene to continue work on its ninth studio album with producer Brendan O'Brien.

"We have five or six almost finished instrumental beds, and maybe 15 other things from which we could definitely get three or four songs out of," Ament says. "Hopefully sometime this winter we will knock a record out. The goal is to know the songs front to back before we actually record them, which we haven't always done."

Ament is particularly excited to work again with O'Brien, whose last production credit on a Pearl Jam album was 1998's "Yield." "He's a great musician and we trust him, which is really important when you have a group of people with totally different opinion on whether a song is good or not," he says."

great news!
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    On2Legs wrote:

hmm indeed...
    maybe back in the day when Ed added the delusional "Bugs" to Vitalogy. I bet they disagreed over Riot Act big time b/c that album is half of what it could of been.

Jeff once said he contemplated quiting the band b/c Stone thought "Brother" was shit and did not want it on TEN.

Being a musician myself i know how hard it is to leave you ego at the door. The hardest part i find is bringing a song to the table you've been writing for months only to have the other guys dismiss it or tear it apart.
    It's not easy
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    What I really need to know is, who the hell thought Sad and Fatal weren't good enough for Binaural??
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    Noonie wrote:
    What I really need to know is, who the hell thought Sad and Fatal weren't good enough for Binaural??

ed. felt they had the potential to be... you know... enjoyed by people. so he sunk them.

i love that people thought they'd have an album by the end of this year. this band hasnt taken less than 3 years between albums for 10 years. we'll be lucky to get it next summer.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:
    ed. felt they had the potential to be... you know... enjoyed by people. so he sunk them.

...lol, probably.
    catch22 wrote:
    i love that people thought they'd have an album by the end of this year. this band hasnt taken less than 3 years between albums for 10 years. we'll be lucky to get it next summer.
    And to think they used to want to make an album a year...
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    catch22 wrote:

Sounds like the people love them on the boots I listen to. I wonder how many of ed's songs have been tanked by the rest of the band. I think they should let Matt Cameron write more. You Are is a kickass song and on of my faves off of RA.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,