Options

Re-Release of TEN...Is this why 10C asked us our favorite live versions of Ten songs?

blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
edited November 2008 in The Porch
Wasn't there a "sticky" in the last few months, asking the members of the Pit to name their favorite live versions of "Ten" songs from the 2008 tour? Could this have anything to do with the rumored second disk on the re-release of "Ten"? Anybody else know what I'm evern talking about? LOL! Just throwing out a guess to see if it sticks. Thoughts?
Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yeah i remember something like that. not exactly sure what it was. good thinking though. i believe your on to something.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    i hope not, but i fear yes. not that i don't hope we get a new version of TEN, but i just don't want live versions of stuff from '08 when there are tons of amazing shows from '91-'92 that could be included on the bonus disc instead...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    NewJPage wrote:
    i hope not, but i fear yes. not that i don't hope we get a new version of TEN, but i just don't want live versions of stuff from '08 when there are tons of amazing shows from '91-'92 that could be included on the bonus disc instead...
    Rumor has it its a 2 CD set.. My guess is a Ten remix plus a Ten live CD.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    I'm kind of hoping we get some B-sides/Alternate Takes/Demo Versions rather than just a bonus disc of the 08 performances of TEN.

A bonus DVD on the making of TEN would pretty pretty cool as well.

Whatever...I'll buy it regardless
  • Options
    Anyone else getting sick of rehashing old stuff? Isnt anything sacred anymore? Ten was a great album, please don't touch it. Please don't re-release. Make new music or release new before heard outtakes if any exist.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    I love the album and all...I mean come on...It's Fucking TEN!!

But...I do agree that the production of the album is uber-slick and sounds kind of dated.

I loved the Brendon O'Brien Re-Mixes from Rearviewmirror especially Even Flow; It gave it a the "rawness" that was lacking from the original.

If the Re-Release of TEN follows along those lines...I'll be really pleased.

Later
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I love the album and all...I mean come on...It's Fucking TEN!!

But...I do agree that the production of the album is uber-slick and sounds kind of dated.

I loved the Brendon O'Brien Re-Mixes from Rearviewmirror especially Even Flow; It gave it a the "rawness" that was lacking from the original.

If the Re-Release of TEN follows along those lines...I'll be really pleased.

Later

The Even Flow on the greatest hits wasn't a remix. It was a re-recording from 1992 with Dave A on drums, and it's the version of the song heard in the music video.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    The Even Flow on the greatest hits wasn't a remix. It was a re-recording from 1992 with Dave A on drums, and it's the version of the song heard in the music video.
    Yep, the remixes were of Once, Alive, and Black. Not Jeremy though, curiously,
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    Anyone else getting sick of rehashing old stuff? Isnt anything sacred anymore? Ten was a great album, please don't touch it. Please don't re-release. Make new music or release new before heard outtakes if any exist.
    No. The mix on Ten is horrible. It's too quiet, flat and over-produced. Just listen to the remixes from Rearviewmirror. Now those you can blast!
  • Options
    No. The mix on Ten is horrible. It's too quiet, flat and over-produced. Just listen to the remixes from Rearviewmirror. Now those you can blast!
    Well you've got a point that it's over-produced and flat, but two things:
    - It's a good thing it's quiet. We all know what happened to Metallica's Death Magnetic. If you want more volume, turn up the knob ;)

- O'Brien's remixes are very good, but lack of some of the 'magic' of Ten.
    In the original mix of Once Ed yells "Oh, try and mimic" straight into my face and then whispers into my ear "what's insane".
    This thing really gives me the creeps :]
    And it's gone in the remix :(
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Something tells me no matter what they do or what is included with the re-release of Ten, there's going to be a lot of unhappy people.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    If they redid Ten, which Jeff said he wished they could I believe in the Spin 10 year anniv article, I hope they did it right. I remember Jeff saying they would've done it harder and faster. I hope they recorded it with the old guitar tones too, not the modern muffled ones that make songs like SOLAT sound like clunkers.
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    I bloody well hope not...

If live versions of the Ten songs are being planned to go on the reissue, it'll be a complete joke if they use anything but recordings from the Ten tour.

I hope it was just for an article in the next Deep, the "Ten" issue. Y'know, giving a list of the best performances as a way to drum up sales for the 2008 boots.
  • Options
    Kilar Ezan wrote:
    Well you've got a point that it's over-produced and flat, but two things:
    - It's a good thing it's quiet. We all know what happened to Metallica's Death Magnetic. If you want more volume, turn up the knob ;)

- O'Brien's remixes are very good, but lack of some of the 'magic' of Ten.
    In the original mix of Once Ed yells "Oh, try and mimic" straight into my face and then whispers into my ear "what's insane".
    This thing really gives me the creeps :]
    And it's gone in the remix :(

Fuckin' A right, buddy.

The original is not "too quiet" - it has DYNAMICS. You want it louder? Turn up your goddamn volume knob.

I'm really looking forward to this reissue but I'm already preparing myself for the fact that the audio will be completely ruined in the mastering - just like the greatest hits and the S/T album.

I'm holding a slight hope that the remastering will be a little more forgiving on the triple-LP set but I'm half-expecting they'll just master that straight from the same digital master as the CD's - what a waste...

I think Brendan O'Brien's done some great production work with the band but I'm not a fan of his remixes on the Greatest Hits set either. I have no issue with the original mixes, sure there's a bit of reverb on there but I don't think it's excessive. I miss a lot of the delays and cool stuff going in with Ed's voice, I think Brendan took the "take the reverb off" instruction way too far when remixing those tracks - I especially miss the delay trail in Once after "where do I stand? [stand...stand...]". It just sounds wrong without it.

A reverb-less Garden would be horrible...
  • Options
    Why mess with a good thing like "Ten" ? I know they aren't doing it for the money though you know this remix will sell like kcufing crazy. They were never comfortable with how successful that album was and now they are going to go ahead screw it all up just to re-write history. The only thing that sucks about Ten is the cover art. Now if they change that with the remix I might be game.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    kcufing

I like the switcheroo.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Why mess with a good thing like "Ten" ? I know they aren't doing it for the money though you know this remix will sell like kcufing crazy. They were never comfortable with how successful that album was and now they are going to go ahead screw it all up just to re-write history. The only thing that sucks about Ten is the cover art. Now if they change that with the remix I might be game.

Just curious, why do you think this will sell that well? I think it'll do fine within its immediate fanbase, but I'd be shocked if it outsold any of their previous albums (including Lost Dogs & RVM). I just don't think there would be that much of a craving for the re-release of the album.

Now, that being said, I'd be interested in what's included in it. I'd love to actually get a DVD with maybe some archived footage of the band and maybe some explanation of the songs, etc...
  • Options
    TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    You can't hear the guitar solo on "Alive" on the remixes...

No more argument against them needed.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    If sound is the complaint, I have noticed my early-90s CDs all seem quieter than newer ones. I don't know if it's the way they are recorded now or if the old ones are fading away over time, but it may not be the mix to blame.
  • Options
    KurtK26 wrote:
    If sound is the complaint, I have noticed my early-90s CDs all seem quieter than newer ones. I don't know if it's the way they are recorded now or if the old ones are fading away over time, but it may not be the mix to blame.

The fact that they're quieter is actually a GOOD THING. That's the way they should sound.

Almost all CD's are mastered so loud today that they've lost all dynamics, here's a link to give you more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

It's by far the biggest problem ever faced by the music industry to me. It's just appalling.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    spencer wrote:
    The fact that they're quieter is actually a GOOD THING. That's the way they should sound.

Almost all CD's are mastered so loud today that they've lost all dynamics, here's a link to give you more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

It's by far the biggest problem ever faced by the music industry to me. It's just appalling.
    Just because they are "quiet" doesn't mean they have more dynamics. Potentially, yes, but not necessarily so.
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    Just because they are "quiet" doesn't mean they have more dynamics. Potentially, yes, but not necessarily so.

True, but I'd wager there's a MUCH larger chance of that being the case.

You can pretty much place a safe bet than any major label rock record from 1991 is going to have better fidelity sound with greater dynamics than one in 2008.
  • Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 231
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I'm kind of hoping we get some B-sides/Alternate Takes/Demo Versions rather than just a bonus disc of the 08 performances of TEN.

A bonus DVD on the making of TEN would pretty pretty cool as well.

Whatever...I'll buy it regardless

anything less than that would be lame....

please NO 2008 LIVE RECORDINGS on this set!!!
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014