Options

Ticketing Rant

mrmojorisincamrmojorisinca Posts: 173
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I sent this letter to the fanclub and wanted to share with the board becuase I feel like I need to share..

First off I want to thank you for all the effort you put into getting us fan club members tickets to shows..You guys all truly rock..

now for my rant…

Not sure what you can do with this information but just in case you didn’t know I wanted to let you and the Band know about the practices of ticket scalping sites such as

http://www.ticketsnow.com/Concert_Tickets/Eddie_Vedder_Tickets.html?CAT=Event&FDT=7/8/2008%2012:00:00%20AM&TDT=1/8/2010%2012:00:00%20AM&MAID=0&NodeKey=03140c7a73f44fa9a84774c6b4b72514&SearchPath=1

and

http://www.ticketstub.com/search.php?q=vedder

The big piss off with this is that TicketNow is owed my Ticketmaster, so if you weren’t lucky enough to get tickets the conventional way you are given the option to go to TicketNow and buy tickets at a premium. To add insult to ingury Ticketnow and sites just like it are selling tickets to shows (Including EV) that have not even gone on sale for fan club members let alone general public. Surly there has to be something wrong with this? Again I’m not sure you can do anything but feel that I needed to share this with you..

Peace and much love
Paul
Aka mrmojorisinca
FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I understand your frustrations, but I will be the first to admit that I had no other choice but to go through Ticketsnow for MSG II. I'm not particularly proud of it, but it was either that or just sit home.
  • Options
    I know we don't have a choice in using ticketmaster...trust me I know..my mastercard proves that :)
    but them selling tickets to a show that isn't on sale yet just isn't right..
    what that means is scalping sites have tickets to shows before they go on sale and that is wrong...and it needs to stop and I don't know how to do it but I had to share...it's the least I can do...maybe the more people know something can change..people have the power :)
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    many of those ticket brokers probably own "season tickets" to every venue where the option is available.

from what I have read, the 10C/Pearl Jam have to fight just to get what they get us now. its probably only going to get worse as promoters push the envelope to make every extra penny.

it sucks, but thats the system. take some action beyond posting on a message board where youre preaching to the choir. but we're lucky to get what we do through the 10C. are they perfect? no. but you cant fault them for things that are beyond their control.

PJ can demand that no season tickets be allowed for their theater/amphitheater shows, but the venue will wave goodbye and they'll be playing in a field somewhere, fighting for permits and having to charge more to move a makeshift stage every night.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    That's pathetic. Not your post, but how easily scalpers can grab tickets. The sad thing is it doesn't look like the day will come soon enough for the gov't, industrury to solve this problem. I think one day either supply and demand, the gov't, or the industry will solve outrageous ticketmaster charges and scalpers, but I don't expect it to come too soon.

In all honestly I don't think us fans can make enough noise to change this, and until we find a way it's gonna keep happening.

One thing bands have done to help cut down on scalpers is to raise ticket prices, but that doesn't really help fans as we still pay more.

The way I look at it is it's supply and demand. Unless fans get to a point where they refuse to pay high ticket prices scalpers will be everywhere. Until scalpers get to a pint where they can't make a penny from scalping they wil be everywhere.

Send all the emails you want, make lots of noise, and I wish you the best, but I don't think scalping is going away anytime soon.
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    I don't know how to change it. I mean, $8 for a beer, $40 for parking? When did this become okay?!

STOP BUYING THE $8 BEER!
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    edited October 2020

unfortunately its not going to change unless fans stop paying and artists band together
    its only an issue for small percentage of the fans and artists, the rest could care less and don't mind getting gouged by tm and the scalpers
    they're also trying to make up in concert revenue, what they've lost in cd sales
    Post edited by Sea on
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    lowlight10 wrote:
    STOP BUYING THE $8 BEER!

I second that.
  • Options
    i'm in no way taking a swipe at tenclub..they fuc_ing rock with what they get us...
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    I got it!
    Guys, this is gonna blow your minds...

Why don't we all become scalpers so we can get blocks of tickets???
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Deebs41 wrote:
    I got it!
    Guys, this is gonna blow your minds...

Why don't we all become scalpers so we can get blocks of tickets???

I actually thought of getting me one of those nifty ticket broker software things, swiping all tix then reselling to 10c at face. I also just generally get a weird sense of accomplishment when I get good seats to shows, plays, etc... so I figured I could potentially also help others out in the process. But I was worried I'd become greedy and become one of those hateful ticket brokers.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The reason why scalpers exist is because of the buyers. No buyers means no profits which leads to no scalpers.
    Which is never gonna happen.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I sent this letter to the fanclub and wanted to share with the board becuase I feel like I need to share..

First off I want to thank you for all the effort you put into getting us fan club members tickets to shows..You guys all truly rock..

now for my rant…

Not sure what you can do with this information but just in case you didn’t know I wanted to let you and the Band know about the practices of ticket scalping sites such as

http://www.ticketsnow.com/Concert_Tickets/Eddie_Vedder_Tickets.html?CAT=Event&FDT=7/8/2008%2012:00:00%20AM&TDT=1/8/2010%2012:00:00%20AM&MAID=0&NodeKey=03140c7a73f44fa9a84774c6b4b72514&SearchPath=1

and

http://www.ticketstub.com/search.php?q=vedder

The big piss off with this is that TicketNow is owed my Ticketmaster, so if you weren’t lucky enough to get tickets the conventional way you are given the option to go to TicketNow and buy tickets at a premium. To add insult to ingury Ticketnow and sites just like it are selling tickets to shows (Including EV) that have not even gone on sale for fan club members let alone general public. Surly there has to be something wrong with this? Again I’m not sure you can do anything but feel that I needed to share this with you..

Peace and much love
    Paul
    Aka mrmojorisinca

Why are you sending this to the fanclub???

I mean vent on, that is what the board is for (even though some people get pissed off and see it as old news blah blah blah).

However, this kind of stuff should be sent to your senator or congress rep or even newspapers and media. Those are the only types that have the power to do anything (if they truly wanted to).
  • Options
    answer to the stupid BEER DILEMMA...

get wasted before a show. The buzz will typically last until the beginning of the second encore. heheh
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, 03, Montreal 03, Toronto 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 (x2), Berkeley (EV), Toronto (EV)
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Pearl Jam does what they can to stop scalping and stuff, so any other complaints tend to get ridiculous.