Options

Too Old to Rock and Roll?

Touchofgray16Touchofgray16 Posts: 639
edited June 2008 in The Porch
So, tomorrow is my 50th birthday and I'm still loving PJ as much as I did when I was in my mid-thirties. I know there are others older than me...I saw you this past week at MSG. Made me feel good knowing I wasn't the only one.
"Tweet"

"Chirp"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Happy Birthday! and keep on rocking - no reason to stop at any age.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    Hope you have a happy birthday! Good to see that PJ has a large cross-section of fans out there :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Keep on rockin' in the rest home ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    No such thing. How can you be too old to love music?
    I'm 37, at every Pearl Jam show, I swear, every show, next to me is an older fan. And I'm so glad.
    Don't ever stop doing what you love.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    There are others......I will be 50 in November. MSG had lots of people our age.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    In My DreamsIn My Dreams Posts: 299
    Hey, Happy Birthday! Every year is a mile stone, be proud, enjoy!

I never understood the attitudes of people that seem to think that once a person reaches a certain age, their taste in music should change. WTF? What kind of music should "older" people like? I emphasized "older" because this started when I was 30.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Hey, Happy Birthday! Every year is a mile stone, be proud, enjoy!

I never understood the attitudes of people that seem to think that once a person reaches a certain age, their taste in music should change. WTF? What kind of music should "older" people like? I emphasized "older" because this started when I was 30.

I don't tell my friends anymore that I go to concerts b/c two of them have told me that concerts are for kids.

And Happy Birthday to the original poster! I'm not young anymore either. What are we supposed to listen to, Barbara Streisand? The only problem I had recently is that I get tired when I dance. Then, if we take a break and sit at the pearl jam concert, it gets reported on this message board. Also, a man sitting by my husband told him that my husband was the real fan, that I wasn't, after I sat down once!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    iluvcats wrote:
    I don't tell my friends anymore that I go to concerts b/c two of them have told me that concerts are for kids.

And Happy Birthday to the original poster! I'm not young anymore either. What are we supposed to listen to, Barbara Streisand? The only problem I had recently is that I get tired when I dance. Then, if we take a break and sit at the pearl jam concert, it gets reported on this message board. Also, a man sitting by my husband told him that my husband was the real fan, that I wasn't, after I sat down once!
    I have programmed myself to sit right up until the first song and then not again until the encore breaks. As soon as Ed grabs his book, I sit.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    So, tomorrow is my 50th birthday and I'm still loving PJ as much as I did when I was in my mid-thirties. I know there are others older than me...I saw you this past week at MSG. Made me feel good knowing I wasn't the only one.

No worries. Happy Birthday and keep rocking to the band we love! You'd be doing a disservice to yourself by not.
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,132
    Age is just a number, not a state of mind.

Unless of course, you're a pedophile, haha....
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    I have programmed myself to sit right up until the first song and then not again until the encore breaks. As soon as Ed grabs his book, I sit.

Classic.
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Happy Birthday.....just in from Hartford....rocked out and had a blast....I have 18 months until my 50th! I'm not quiting until Pearl Jam does!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Maybe they'll start kicking you guys some AARP prices for tickets soon. Throw in a free dinner buffet at 4 pm or some shit after you drive to the show with your turn signal on the entire way.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    culot4 wrote:
    Maybe they'll start kicking you guys some AARP prices for tickets soon. Throw in a free dinner buffet at 4 pm or some shit after you drive to the show with your turn signal on the entire way.

Hahaha. I'll take that senior citizen discount on the ticket!
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    And happy birthday Touchofgray16!
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:

Ha !!! I already gave up on driving, so you don't have to worry about me on the road.
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    Touchofgray16 has rocked for a long, long time,
    Now it's time for him to pass the torch.
    He has songs of wilderbeasts and angels,
    He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It's time to pass the torch,
    You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.
    We're takin' you to a home,
    But we will sing a song about you.

And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of.
    You'll tell us secrets that you've learned. Woah!
    Your sauce will mix with ours,
    And we'll make a good goulash baby.
    Touchofgray16, time to go!
    You must give your cape and scepter to me.
    And a smaller one for KG.
    Go! Go! Touchofgray16! Touchofgray16!
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    In My DreamsIn My Dreams Posts: 299
    iluvcats wrote:
    The only problem I had recently is that I get tired when I dance. Then, if we take a break and sit at the pearl jam concert, it gets reported on this message board. Also, a man sitting by my husband told him that my husband was the real fan, that I wasn't, after I sat down once!
    Again, WTF? Geez, in high school I would sit down if I got tired. What's it to anyone else? I'm fairly short and if I cannot see the band through all the tall people in front of me, then I might as well take a break during the slower songs.

iluvcats, you and I need box seats! ;) With champagne! :D
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    Happy Birthday!
    Im 29, i saw age ranges from 6-65 at MSG and the whole time thinkin
    'this is such a beautiful thing"
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Hey man - I'm 44, and last night through the miracle of good karma I scored fanclub seats with a couple of the finest gentlemen I've met on the road ... and they had a good few years on me ;)

An inspiration, they were :)

Happy Bday!
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I hope PJ will play when I will be 50...
    Happy Birthday - don't think about Your age - think, many people were just born - they don't even know what is music:)
    So, U are lucky:)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    shut up!!!!you aren't old !:) enjoy your day !!happy birthday!!
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Again, WTF? Geez, in high school I would sit down if I got tired. What's it to anyone else? I'm fairly short and if I cannot see the band through all the tall people in front of me, then I might as well take a break during the slower songs.

iluvcats, you and I need box seats! ;) With champagne! :D

HEY NOW, that's an idea.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761

Happy Birthday!
    Im 44 and have been going to concerts since 77 -- I think many fans in our age range appreciate PJ because we have been going to shows long enough to know the real thing when we see it!
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    too young to die.

;)
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    Rust never sleeps.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    you're only as old as you feel!!

rock till ya drop!!
  • Options
    The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    Keep on rockin' in the rest home ...

CLASSIC!
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    It will take a rocking chair to a whole new meaning
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Screw that!! You're never too old! Ever been to a Neil Young show? Or CSNY? Seriously those shows attract a much older fan base. We'll all get there. 15 years from now when I'm in my 50s I doubt I'll be passing up PJ tickets.

If I ever stop seeing them live, it will be more due to the fact that I can't deal with the bullshit that goes on in and around the venues- ticket problems, not being able to tailgate despite my being well over 21, all of that- than my actual age.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."