Options

Riot Act is like wine...

ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
edited June 2008 in The Porch
It just gets better with age. I didn't really dig it at first. But it is slowly getting ready to take the crown from Yield on my album hierarchy. I found the cd after it had been missing for about a year and it is so FUCKING AWESOME! Best of all, the live versions sound fantastic as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    :)

love Riot Act

I felt that way about Binaural, had it forever before I opened it, listened to it after msg 03
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Ya, Two Buck Chuck
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    agreed; great songs
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    reznors edgereznors edge Posts: 136
    I was listening to it last night and thought it was quite good. I think it's biggest fault is that it's just not a great, memorable life altering album. Just a collection of nice songs that sound like PJ B-sides. Nothing really stands out for me besides Thumbing My Way and LBC. I hate Bush as much as anybody, but they try too hard and fail on Bushleaguer. Kind of silly really.

I wish they would have found a way to fit Down, Undone and Other Side. It would improved it.
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    It just gets better with age. I didn't really dig it at first. But it is slowly getting ready to take the crown from Yield on my album hierarchy. I found the cd after it had been missing for about a year and it is so FUCKING AWESOME! Best of all, the live versions sound fantastic as well.

welcome to the club.

what took you so long?
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    I wish they would have found a way to fit Down, Undone and Other Side. It would improved it.

Eddie always says that Down should have made the album, but I think Undone has a better claim.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

really?
    I love Riot Act but I think it will take SOME album to knock Yield out of my # 1 spot :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Eddie always says that Down should have made the album, but I think Undone has a better claim.

agreed.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    I know I'm in the minority here, but it had the REVERSE effect on me! I was VERY into Riot Act when it first came out, and slowly, I just lost the passion for it. I think the main reason for this (IMHO) is while a few of the songs are fantastic live, the rest just don't translate well in a live setting for me. I always like to hear that people get off on it though.

Oddly, I didn't really luike Binaural too much at first. Once I saw the songs live however, it changed my perception of the album. Listening to it through headphones while enjoing a little 420 didn't hurt either. LOL. I
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    I was listening to it last night and thought it was quite good. I think it's biggest fault is that it's just not a great, memorable life altering album. Just a collection of nice songs that sound like PJ B-sides. Nothing really stands out for me besides Thumbing My Way and LBC. I hate Bush as much as anybody, but they try too hard and fail on Bushleaguer. Kind of silly really.

My thoughts exactly...

Below would have been a "Great" album, not just an "Good" album:
    Btw, I am talking about Pearl Jam standards not just your ordinary album standards. So a "Good" PJ album is still great by all means...

Can't Keep
    Save You
    LBC
    Cropduster
    Ghost
    I Am Mine
    Thumbing My Way
    You Are
    Down
    Green Disease
    Otherside
    1/2 Full
    Undone
    All Or None
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Boones Farm???
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Riot Act is a great album. Awesome to see Green Disease getting a lot of love this tour.
  • Options
    huffaluffahuffaluffa Posts: 38
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Ya, Two Buck Chuck

Haha. My mom and aunt love that shit. They go through it like it's beer.
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    yeah...too much and you'll throw up

I kid, I kid.....I like Riot Act

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    I didn't really dig it at first. But it is slowly getting ready to take the crown from Yield on my album hierarchy.

BLASPHOMY!!! :mad:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    BLASPHOMY!!! :mad:

agree
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    Double agreed to the 4th power. But, i really like can't keep and you are - both solid songs
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    really?
    I love Riot Act but I think it will take SOME album to knock Yield out of my # 1 spot :)

I said slowly, so maybe by the time humans evolve back into fish. :)
  • Options
    I know I'm in the minority here, but it had the REVERSE effect on me! I was VERY into Riot Act when it first came out, and slowly, I just lost the passion for it. I think the main reason for this (IMHO) is while a few of the songs are fantastic live, the rest just don't translate well in a live setting for me. I always like to hear that people get off on it though.

Oddly, I didn't really luike Binaural too much at first. Once I saw the songs live however, it changed my perception of the album. Listening to it through headphones while enjoing a little 420 didn't hurt either. LOL. I

Avocado had the same effect on me, still like it, it just dosent make the normal rotation. Same with Ten, dig the album, but I have heard it to much and I think that it is the most OVERRATED Pearl Jam Album. Understand I still think it is a classic and I do love alot of the songs, and when I say overrated I mean by Pearl Jam standards, I just wouldn't run out and replace it immediately if it was ever lost or stolen.
    I would wait at least 30 minutes.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,917
    To me, Ghost is a song where they rely on their talent and get by. Like a smart kid not trying and gets a C+ where a little effort could have generated an A+. Even the solo was stolen from SOLAT.

Whereas, on the other hand, Save you is probably their 2nd best song behind In my tree. The album is polarized in that way. Save you, I am mine, You are are so fine. Others could have been great.

I heard that the producer kept takes which the band thought were rehearsal takes, and then kept it at that. I think someone boasted about doing that. I think that's the wrong approach. It results in a half-assed product. Yet, songs like You are, are polished and sound fantastic. I remember Mike saying he lost sleep thinking about how to do You are. That shows the effort. Great song!

I would loved for them to have spent more time on Can't Keep, LBC, Ghost.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Riot Act rocks top to bottom..love just about every song on there with the exception of MAAAYBBE LBC but even that I like so ;)
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    To me, Ghost is a song where they rely on their talent and get by. Like a smart kid not trying and gets a C+ where a little effort could have generated an A+. Even the solo was stolen from SOLAT.

Whereas, on the other hand, Save you is probably their 2nd best song behind In my tree. The album is polarized in that way. Save you, I am mine, You are are so fine. Others could have been great.

I heard that the producer kept takes which the band thought were rehearsal takes, and then kept it at that. I think someone boasted about doing that. I think that's the wrong approach. It results in a half-assed product. Yet, songs like You are, are polished and sound fantastic. I remember Mike saying he lost sleep thinking about how to do You are. That shows the effort. Great song!

I would loved for them to have spent more time on Can't Keep, LBC, Ghost.

Apparently Riot Act was largely recorded live, "off the floor", whereas Avocado wound up getting polished over the course of multiple takes. Honestly, I don't think Riot Act suffered for it, at all.