Options

How is Ted Leo & the Pharmacists?

Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
edited June 2008 in The Porch
What's the music like? Are they horrible?
2005: Borgata 2, Philly
2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
2012: Made in America
2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
2015: Global Citizens
2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lilreds9121lilreds9121 Posts: 128
    they are not horrible, but i enjoyed MMJ a whole lot better
    "Somebody throw up a gun so I can shoot you all......Fuckers". Eddie
  • Options
    ted leo horrible?

if you see them and think ted leo is horrible then i have to question your sanity.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    these guys put 100% on out there,

alltho i wasnt familiar with any of the songs, i heard alot of different band sounds in their music and they really poured it all out
    YThe drummer was excellent and really played thunderous. Someone shouyld tell him to shave that beard tho- unless of course he wants to look amish .
    I enjoyed their performancxe.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,613
    My favorite opening band yet.

Very high energy.

Go in and check them out.

edit: and like Bathgate said, you can hear so many different influences in there, it makes a whole new listening experience picking them out.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,367
    They aren't bad.... they aren't what I was looking for in an opening band though. I warmed up to the second night, so give 'em a chance.
  • Options
    i was crushed when i heard columbia got KOL instead of ted leo. i've seen ted three or four times before and the man is an amazing performer. he does leave it all out there. i'd like to hear him do something with pearl jam.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    KOL were better
  • Options
    I was a big big fan of Ted Leo/Rx up until the last album, couldn't really get into it. Seen 'em live a bunch of times -- very energetic. Give Hearts Of Oak a listen.
    Birmingham, AL 03SEP98
    Atlanta, GA 07AUG00
    Washington, DC 30MAY06
    Lollapalooza 05AUG07
    EV San Diego, CA 15/16APR08
    *** Washington, DC 22JUN08 -- Ready to win the lottery! ***
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i heard about 3 of their songs from amazon to see and i must say....they sound like complete garbage. They sound like pop/rock shit, the singers voice is terrible.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    so by your metric, if i hadn't heard vitalogy and decided to check it out on amazon and chose bugs, pry to, and heyfoxymophandlemama...
    Birmingham, AL 03SEP98
    Atlanta, GA 07AUG00
    Washington, DC 30MAY06
    Lollapalooza 05AUG07
    EV San Diego, CA 15/16APR08
    *** Washington, DC 22JUN08 -- Ready to win the lottery! ***
  • Options
    They give a lot of effort out there, i just didnt care for their music

Kings of Leon in Virginia Beach absolutely rocked the fuckin place, my favorite opener yet
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    ted leo is outstanding:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaQq7NL-qUg

plus read his blog/news posts on his website.

http://tedleo.com/news_archives.php?news_item_id=303&offset=0
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    i heard about 3 of their songs from amazon to see and i must say....they sound like complete garbage. They sound like pop/rock shit, the singers voice is terrible.

Wow. They are definitely not garbage.
    Amazon? At least check them out on youtube? Jesus.
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    They seem like a decent band, certainly not mainstream - pretty interesting stuff. :)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327

quite the opposite actually.
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    KOL were better

KOL is a better band.
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    bovy_j wrote:
    Wow. They are definitely not garbage.
    Amazon? At least check them out on youtube? Jesus.

Just did. Definitely not as bad as what I heard on amazon. But definitely not anything special. They sound like every other band to me.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    not really my type, but not bad.
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    What's the music like? Are they horrible?

They are a great band, but an amphitheater 1/4 of the way full of bored, anxious pearl jam fans is not their ideal venue.
  • Options
    KOL is a better band.

Maybe in an alternate universe where everything is the opposite. Not in this one, though. ;)
  • Options
    Just did. Definitely not as bad as what I heard on amazon. But definitely not anything special. They sound like every other band to me.

What other bands do they sound like to you?
  • Options
    KOL is a better band.

yes. if you like hookless plodding songs with no dynamic.
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    I've only heard Ted Leo once or twice before, but I'm looking forward to their performance tomorrow night.

I have to admit, I'd much rather see Kings of Leon, though. They were AMAZING in Virginia Beach.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    eyesnoeyeseyesnoeyes Posts: 50
    I saw Ted Leo open for Death Cab about a year ago and had no idea what to expect - I was very pleasantly surprised - I thought they were great, so I'm really looking forward to checking them out again at MSG...
    'She runs through my veins like a long, black river and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm...' R. Adams.
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Really good ... worth getting to your seats to catch them.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I tried to get into these guys but I could not do it.
    I did find MMJ b/c of PJ. Awesome
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    What other bands do they sound like to you?

from the little I've seen on You Tube ... they sound like no other band on earth.

I mean that in a ambivalent sort of way, but I don't know how you could call them pop. Unless you were talking about that tongue-in-cheek cover of the Kelly Clarkson song that I actually thought was pretty good.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    Like most PJ shows I've been to, the audience was respectful of the band, but didn't really give it up for them either. Mostly empty seats. I thought the band was tight and had a ton of energy. Certainly not a bunch of "shoe gazers". It can be tough to appreciate a band when you aren't familiar with the material, but something tells me that Ted Leo and the Pharmacists would really kick-ass in a club or theatre without seats. Not sure that the ampitheatre worked for their style.

Certainly worth checking out at least once.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    ted leo horrible?

if you see them and think ted leo is horrible then i have to question your sanity.

I completely agree. You can listen to a bunch of their songs on lastfm....

http://www.last.fm/music/Ted+Leo+and+The+Pharmacists/Shake+the+Sheets

Take any of those songs and multiply the energy exponentially and you have Ted Leo live. He's a pretty smart and funny dude as well, so the banter is often quality.

The last time I saw them was in Asheville a couple years ago. Unfortunately some twat was messed up on something and was being a real dick in the crowd. When it looks like it's about to get physical Ted stops and hops off stage to try and calm this guy down. He even tried giving the guy a tambourine to play along with. While it unfortunately didn't work you're not going to see many performers even try something like that.

I think he felt bad for us in the crowd though as he ended the show with 'Treble in Trouble' which was incredible.