Options

Why isn't Stone celebrated more?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Mike's a great guitarist, lets face it. There is no doubt. And ed is as well.

But its odd how Stone never gets praise. He never will end up on a top 100 guitarists list, and certainly wont be on anyones top 10 guitarists list.

Why?

It seems like Mike gets the solos, and maybe thats why. If stone was doing all the solo's would he be as highly praised as Ed and Mike?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327

But its odd how Stone never gets praise. He never will end up on a top 100 guitarists list, and certainly wont be on anyones top 10 guitarists list.

Why?

It seems like Mike gets the solos, and maybe thats why. If stone was doing all the solo's would he be as highly praised as Ed and Mike?

Mike gets most of the solo's because he's the lead guitarist.

Stone owns it though and I think he's praised for his accomplishments within the band.

Stone is just kinda goofy and silly imo, but I <3 him.
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    'Cause he turns his back to the crowd and doesn't interact that much with his audience .. He ignores, so he gets ignored (in general)
    Just me
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731

Why?

Mike isn't that praised either. They actually kind of take away from each other as far as critical "acclaim" goes. When there's only one guitarist playing (i.e. Zeppelin, Van Halen), he of course stands out. but when there's two, they kinda cancel each other out and go a little unnoticed. unless the lead guy is really, really awesome.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    Zanne wrote:
    'Cause he turns his back to the crowd and doesn't interact that much with his audience .. He ignores, so he gets ignored (in general)

I agree with that and I've seen him mess up a lot too. I think Mike is much better and his interaction with the crowd is great. I'd rather watch any member more than Stone. It's not that I dislike him, its just that I want a little more from him.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    he does face inward to the band, and that does tend to suck after having 10c seats on his side for the last 10 years. but stone is stone, he is a legend. and how often are we left asking ourselves, "what would stone do..."

he will be appreciated with time, he knows this. he knows he's beyond great, just look at the body of work
    Zanne wrote:
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I love watching Stone. The "Merton Hanks", The "Duck Walk", plus when I love it when he Jams with Jeff.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

Why?

hi,

stone definitely gets praise amongst us in the musicians forum.

when it comes to mike and stone, i don't consider one 'better' than the other. they have completely different styles. mikes personality shines out more, so perhaps that is why he is more loudly applauded? Mike is incredibly animated and rocks out all over the place and plays with just awesome energy.

stone is easily one of the greatest riff writers ever. technically, he is much more sound than mike. he doesn't do the flashy stuff like playing behind his head and bouncing all over the place, but he is just so damn creative.

the solos are absolutely crowd pleasers. no doubt about it. for me though, if i had to choose what i most appreciate between a riff of the song or a solo, i'd chose the riff and the actual structure and musicality of the song without a doubt. Saying that though, i have also been at shows where mikes solo's have moved me to tears. he has the most amazing ability to connect with you and feel the music though his playing.

not everyone sees it like me though, and it all just comes down to personal opinion.

I love them both, but i agree that publically, stone does not get the recognition he deserves. The other thing to keep in mind, are some of those 'top 100 lists' are just pure wank. written by people that have no clue.

top 100 list or not, riffmeister gossard is the man. one of the best riff writers ever.
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    The 4 Armed Monster. Mike and Stone.It is a perfect blend.That is way they are the greatest ever.The Master McCready with his awesome jaw dropping solos and the Riff miester Stone.Stone is Stone I dig it.He used to be more hyper.But he is getting older.Stone is just chill.Get used to it.STONE IS THE MAN!!!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012