Options

After This Tour I Am Sold - Matt Cameron is the Best Drummer for PJ

coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I have been going to shows since 1995 and have had an affinity and bias towards Jack Irons. That being said, after seeing the band five times on this tour I have switched allegiances to Matt Cameron. He was UNBELIEVABLE on this tour. He did not overdue it, and he kept the tempo down on many songs that I felt were too fast on the last tour. The band, for that matter, sounded awesome as well. I was happy to see the tempo was more true to the album versions - sped up a little, but not so much that they sounded like they were trying to get through as many songs as possible.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    coach pj wrote:
    I have been going to shows since 1995 and have had an affinity and bias towards Jack Irons. That being said, after seeing the band five times on this tour I have switched allegiances to Matt Cameron. He was UNBELIEVABLE on this tour. He did not overdue it, and he kept the tempo down on many songs that I felt were too fast on the last tour. The band, for that matter, sounded awesome as well. I was happy to see the tempo was more true to the album versions - sped up a little, but not so much that they sounded like they were trying to get through as many songs as possible.
    What I loved at the shows I saw was that he wasn't a bullshit flashy drummer - he was just totally solid all the way through. He may not have the power of some drummers like Jack, but damn - he's always on.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    benjs wrote:
    What I loved at the shows I saw was that he wasn't a bullshit flashy drummer - he was just totally solid all the way through. He may not have the power of some drummers like Jack, but damn - he's always on.

I agree. The one complaint, although small, was that on past tours he overdid it a little on the fills. That is what I liked about Jack - no BS, he just pounded the drums really hard. On this tour that is exactly how Matt played, and it made a huge difference.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    benjs wrote:

Matt has the power when he wants to use it.........ie some of the shows from 98/2000
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Seeing them for the first time in 1998...Matt was/is the reason I finally decided to start playing the drums. Matt, you're the man!
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    this seems like it was his best tour as he's finally learned the correct tempo of the Vitalogy and No Code songs
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I've always said Matt was their best drummer because of his detailed contribution and longevity.

But Jack is still my favorite b/c of No Code and Yield.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Listening to some to you talk about drummers has been one of the most entertaining aspects of coming to this pit over the years.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    EBowie wrote:
    Matt, you're the man!

I had to laugh reading that line..

I had front row for Boston 2 (brag, brag) and when the band took their place on stage, I made eye contact with Matt..

I kept yelling "Matt, you're the man!", he laughed and yelled back "No, YOU'RE THE MAN!"

laughed my ass off..

How cool is this band?!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    locked wrote:
    I had to laugh reading that line..

I had front row for Boston 2 (brag, brag) and when the band took their place on stage, I made eye contact with Matt..

I kept yelling "Matt, you're the man!", he laughed and yelled back "No, YOU'RE THE MAN!"

laughed my ass off..

How cool is this band?!

HA! That's awesome ...

And I agree with the view that Matt is unquestionably the best drummer in the history of Pearl Jam. I was convinced of this back in 2003, and if anything, he's raised the bar since then.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Listening to some to you talk about drummers has been one of the most entertaining aspects of coming to this pit over the years.
    yes it has

and I don't know why, but I have to read every thread about it too....