Options

My Best Friend.....

CrazeejCrazeej Posts: 8
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I had the great fortune to know an incredible person. A fighter if you will. She had a great love of music and an even greater sense of strength...We were lucky enough to FINALLY see Pearl Jam a couple years ago in Calgary and in Edmonton, Alberta.

We were in Calgary waiting in line to buy tshirts and all that other good stuff, when I heard the people behind me saying they were going through their Canadian money like it was water. So me being the nosey person I am, asked where they were from, and they were from California travelling through Canada following the band.....talk about my dream!

Me and my friend go back to our decision making process, what tshirt to get, should we buy a hoodie too, do we want a poster. We decided we were gonna wait to see what the poster looked like in Edmonton instead. Well the California people over heard us this time, and asked us to buy them a poster and gave us money (their friend couldn't make the concert). So we meet them a couple minutes later and give them their poster and their change back and they ask us where we're sitting. And we laugh and tell them we're in the nose bleeds....and my friends famous words are said "I'm just happy to be here!" And it was true....this was our dream.....our one moment together we both wanted before either of us died. (you know how you say that....before I die....I want to........)

Then these perfect strangers offer us their 7th row tickets....because their friend who didn't make the concert had 1st row tickets. They flat out....handed us two 7th row tickets for free....and went on their way. It was the best night of my life, with the one person who would appreciate more than anyone else I know. As soon as the band started playing and Eddie walked out on the stage and started playing "Oceans" we look at each other and started crying and laughing all at the same time. (Ok I cried, she went through the motions of crying, but could not, since she couldn't produce tears).

Then.....the moment happened for us.....as soon as "Black" started, we grabbed each others hands.......and bawled. This was our moment, this is the moment I will hold onto for the rest of my life. Our favorite song played.....and we are in the 7th row of the concert....hanging onto each other, so happy, we're crying.

On June 28, 2008. My best friends body decided it was done fighting. She had lupus and was diagnosed when she was 18. The doctors told her parents that it would be a miracle if she lived to see 30. She was 33 years old. She was a miracle, and it was at the age of 30 that we got to see Pearl Jam together, and that in itself was another miracle.

So I am sending this out into the void......out to anyone else who has loved and lost someone so awesome and so strong.......and so loving. To anyone else out there who has had the fortune to see Pearl Jam live with their best friend at their side...

I will love you always Daylene....you are with me always and forever in my heart. We still have Calgary and our "moment" together.

Jolene
Underneath this smile lies everything...All my hopes and anger, pride and shame...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    My brother passed February 11, 2007. He needed a liver transplant and was #1 on the donor list but none came in time. This was my first PJ tour without my big brother. There is not a day gone by or a song heard that doesnt remind me of him. I miss him so much. God bless your friend and all our loved ones who have left us. My prayers are with you
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    tommorrow makes 9 years since a close friend passed away

u never get over it...u just learn to live with it

all the best
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    tommorrow makes 9 years since a close friend passed away

u never get over it...u just learn to live with it

all the best

6 years this past march for me

rip to friends loved and lost
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    its the special times like this one that i try and remember every day. even with loved ones that are still here. its the special times like this that makes life worth living, and every day worth fighting for.

love to you all.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    This story touched me real deep. My good friend Joe was just diagnosed with Lupus a few weeks ago. A really really RARE form, and I took him to MSG 1. It was a special night, he enjoyed it so much although he was in pain most of the night.

Im so sorry for your loss, I really am. And I fear to ever hear about this about my friend. We are both 18, and if I lost him I don't know how I would handle it.

Im so so sorry.

- Brian.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    Jolene- Thanks for the post. Maybe it was that I was listening to smile while reading this...or the fact that I just got back from a road trip to see PJ with my best friend...but, It really touched me. I am so lucky to still have my friend...and am truly sorry that yours left so soon. As I stood and sang out the lyrics to leash in Hartford, she put her arm around me as we both screamed "I am right by your side" and a wave of happiness...overcame me. I could relive that one moment a million times over and be truly happy. I am so glad that we made this trip. In March I was diagnosed with MS and it seems that I have been in a mad rush to "do things" because my future is somehow uncertain now. But, It's OK, I'm OK, because as I stood their Friday night...nothing else mattered...except my friend at my side and new memories made. I am not afraid, and I do not feel sorry for myself...I am one of the luckiest people in the world to have found such happiness. This band has put my life in perspective many times over.

Your friend is right by your side as well Jolene. Take care.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. What a wonderful memory to have of her. Although I am sure you have many other wonderful memories to hold on to...

I lost one of my employees (18, to anorexia in 2004), a stepsister and nephew (2001), and my other stepsister (pancreatic cancer in 2004). I think of all of them often and now smile more than I cry.

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,932
    Amazing memories and special friends never truly die; they will always be there to give deeper colour and texture to your life. Sorry for your loss.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    PJ17MKDPJ17MKD Posts: 136
    here where i live, old people say that people are dead if they die twice. The first time is the physical one. And the second time is when the people would be forgotten.
    Cherish the nice and happy moments you spent together with him...Think and talk about your friend with others and pray for his soul - somehow that's the only way you can do to keep him alive in your heart and mind... i am very sorry for your loss...
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    i am sorry for your loss, but very happy that you had those extra years with your friends AND that incredible experience together.

good people, much like good deeds, never go unnoticed or forgotten.
    i. am. mine.
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    that really was a beautiful moment to share...I'm sure you have many more. Stay strong and always remember those times :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I knew that posting something for other PJ fans, you would understand that moment more than anyone else. I try to tell people, but they don't get it....and that's fine, I know I get it.

Brian....I just wanted to say, don't be too scared or live in fear over your friends illness...take every day in stride and live each moment like it's your last. Every moment is special with your friend....now more than ever. I think we all take each day for granted...and when you realize how precious it is, you make each moment count.

Seriously you guys, thank you so much...and I know my friend would thank you too!

Jolene
    Underneath this smile lies everything...All my hopes and anger, pride and shame...
  • Options
    There's nothing better than music and friends.....She'll always be there with you, everytime you belt out a song.....
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Oh wow.. chills my friend, chills...

So happy that you both got to experience pearl jam together.. I am so happy she ended up being a miracle and got to see her favorite song live..

So sorry for your loss.. she will be missed greatly and thank you for sharing both of your stories :)
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    my family and i feel your pain :( my aunt has lupus and both her kidneys failed so she has to use a catheter. she was diagnosed after my cousin was born and they are so poor they cant really afford great medical care.. it breaks my heart whenever i hear something bad happening to her. im so so so sorry for your loss, i truly am :( but i'm really happy that you had such an incredible experience before your friend passed..
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    pjheasds8pjheasds8 Posts: 91
    i am so sorry for your loss, but so glad you have those memories to live off of(i'm sure there are many more). I feel I am in such a same boat. my best friend, who I grew up with, was a flight instructor(pilot). his plane crashed in the same properties of Saratoga(SPAC) in 2000. and PJ had a date there a few months after. I gathered a huge crew of our peer circle for that show as Daniel would have been there(he was as big a fan). Eddie actually had an opening story to a song, which we first thought might be directed to US(then wasn't). But, it was Given to Fly, and I balled my eyes out through out the whole thing.

stay strong, it's so freakin' hard to but time does heal.

d.
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Your story touched me. Life is Precious. Thank you for sharing.
    Peace,
    Tiffany
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    "Given to Fly, and I balled my eyes out through out the whole thing."

You know, I was thinking of that moment too when they sang Given to Fly at both concerts......and when he sings:

He's.. flying
    Whole…
    High.. wide, oh

The entire crowd had their arms in the air wide open.....and the lights flashed on.....and you could see everyone doing it.......it was awesome.....
  • Options
    I feel like I have so much to say.....to everyone who has a friend or a family member who has lupus, because from the little that I know.....lupus is different for each person.

I found out tonight that there will be a memorial for family and close friends in two days.....and then the funeral on Friday. I seem to be having so many emotions I can't seem to pinpoint how I'm feeling. I start a sentance and half way through, I forget what I was saying. My cousin who's been Daylene's best friend since kindergarden isn't doing well right now. She called me tonight and was leaving me a voice message....and she called me Daylene. I know our names are similar.....but it's not the first time she's done in the past couple days.

Daylene's sister picked out her outfit......and to my extreme JOY.......and I know that soudns crazy.......but to my extreme JOY....Daylene's sister picked out her Pearl Jam tshirt we bought in Edmonton. If she had it her way, she's be in her pearl jam tshirt, her pajama pants and a pair of flip flops. That's my Daylene!
  • Options
    wahinewahine Posts: 86
    Thank you for sharing your story. PJ's music always brings about so many emotions for me. I am so glad that you were able to have such a good friendship and be witness to miracles, many people don't recognize the miracle of friendship alone even if it is right in front of them. Weather this storm, and coast through the swells with your memories held tight.
    Peace,
    BJ
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine. I Am Mine
    Til the Lightning Bolt sets you free

Wahine - I'm a Lightning Bolt

9/2/98, 7/1/03, 10/3/05, 5/30/06, 6/17/08, ED-8/16/08, 10/30/09, 5/13/10, 10/29/13, 10/14/14

-RIP Hippiemom -
  • Options
    I totally agree.....so many songs carry so many different feelings and emotions....that what I love about music!
  • Options
    ok....so my friend told me a long time ago, about a lyric from a pearl jam song........i can't remember it at all, which song.....what album....all i have to go with is this:

"i am the sacrifice that lived on"

does anyone know where it came from? HELP!

she always said that if her doctors would let her, she was going to get a tattoo.......now I want it!
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    That is an amazing memory.
    Take care.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Sorry for your loss. Very sweet and touching story, it put a smile:) to my face after reading some terrifying tragedies in the news this evening.

Thank you for sharing. Best Regards.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Crazeej wrote:
    ok....so my friend told me a long time ago, about a lyric from a pearl jam song........i can't remember it at all, which song.....what album....all i have to go with is this:

"i am the sacrifice that lived on"

does anyone know where it came from? HELP!

she always said that if her doctors would let her, she was going to get a tattoo.......now I want it!

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Hope the lyrics below help; probably what you were referring to

Wishlist

I wish I was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    I wish I was a sentimental ornament you hung on the Christmas tree.
    I wish I was the star that went on top.
    I wish I was the evidence, I wish I was the clouds.
    Or 50 million hands upraised and open toward the sky.

I wish I was a sailor with someone who waited for me.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I wish I was a messenger, and all the news was good.
    I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.
    I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on.
    I wish I was the pedal brake that you depended on.
    I wish I was the verb "to trust" and never let you down.
    I wish I was a radio song the one that you turned up.
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    Just said a prayer for you and the family. God Bless.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    PJ17MKD wrote:
    here where i live, old people say that people are dead if they die twice. The first time is the physical one. And the second time is when the people would be forgotten.
    Cherish the nice and happy moments you spent together with him...Think and talk about your friend with others and pray for his soul - somehow that's the only way you can do to keep him alive in your heart and mind... i am very sorry for your loss...

You are the sweetest young man Sasho

so sorry for all the losses discussed here in this thread. Today happens to be the birthday of a friend I lost many, many years ago (1987). He was one of the first things I thought of when I awoke this morning.

He is not forgotten and never will be. What the old people in your country say warms my heart Sasho.

My prayers go out to you Jolene.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,136
    Crazeej wrote:
    I had the great fortune to know an incredible person. A fighter if you will. She had a great love of music and an even greater sense of strength...We were lucky enough to FINALLY see Pearl Jam a couple years ago in Calgary and in Edmonton, Alberta.

We were in Calgary waiting in line to buy tshirts and all that other good stuff, when I heard the people behind me saying they were going through their Canadian money like it was water. So me being the nosey person I am, asked where they were from, and they were from California travelling through Canada following the band.....talk about my dream!

Me and my friend go back to our decision making process, what tshirt to get, should we buy a hoodie too, do we want a poster. We decided we were gonna wait to see what the poster looked like in Edmonton instead. Well the California people over heard us this time, and asked us to buy them a poster and gave us money (their friend couldn't make the concert). So we meet them a couple minutes later and give them their poster and their change back and they ask us where we're sitting. And we laugh and tell them we're in the nose bleeds....and my friends famous words are said "I'm just happy to be here!" And it was true....this was our dream.....our one moment together we both wanted before either of us died. (you know how you say that....before I die....I want to........)

Then these perfect strangers offer us their 7th row tickets....because their friend who didn't make the concert had 1st row tickets. They flat out....handed us two 7th row tickets for free....and went on their way. It was the best night of my life, with the one person who would appreciate more than anyone else I know. As soon as the band started playing and Eddie walked out on the stage and started playing "Oceans" we look at each other and started crying and laughing all at the same time. (Ok I cried, she went through the motions of crying, but could not, since she couldn't produce tears).

Then.....the moment happened for us.....as soon as "Black" started, we grabbed each others hands.......and bawled. This was our moment, this is the moment I will hold onto for the rest of my life. Our favorite song played.....and we are in the 7th row of the concert....hanging onto each other, so happy, we're crying.

On June 28, 2008. My best friends body decided it was done fighting. She had lupus and was diagnosed when she was 18. The doctors told her parents that it would be a miracle if she lived to see 30. She was 33 years old. She was a miracle, and it was at the age of 30 that we got to see Pearl Jam together, and that in itself was another miracle.

So I am sending this out into the void......out to anyone else who has loved and lost someone so awesome and so strong.......and so loving. To anyone else out there who has had the fortune to see Pearl Jam live with their best friend at their side...

I will love you always Daylene....you are with me always and forever in my heart. We still have Calgary and our "moment" together.

Jolene

Nice story, I'm very sorry about your friend but very happy that you were able to share that moment together.

On the bright side, Daylene gets to sit in the front row at every Pearl Jam concert now.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Crazeej wrote:

Jolene
    Damn, you almost made this cold boy cry. I lost a very close friend 10 years ago and there is hardly a day that goes by that I don't think about him and some of the crazy stuff we got into together. Hold on to the memories and hang in there
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    yup it's been a month....and it's the little things that get me.....a song will come on and i'll smile because i think of her.....and then i get really sad....

thank you everyone for your support....it means a lot......and thank you touch for posting wishlist....i got a message from her sister, and it was in fact that one line in wishlist that she liked......which i will get tatooed on my body, how and where is the next decision....any suggestions?