Options

Karma's a bitch!

edited June 2008 in The Porch
So... When I came back from the Hawaii shows and the Ames book came out I decided to retire from the poster thing. I am pleased with my collection; I have a poster from just about every show I've attended, and I figured the Ames book was a great culmination of the posters I have collected to date.

I even managed to curb the urge to get the excellent print at the DC show (my first gig for '08). But then I did some calculating and came to realize the MSG2 show would be my 50th show. My buddy encouraged me to commemorate the event with "one last poster." I had gotten a poster for him the night before (and the system in place for night 1 was great), so I figured I could easily get myself one for night 2.

Well... Anyone who was there last night knows that the methods for selling posters varied drastically from night 1 to night 2. Long story, short... night 2 was an epic disaster. Why they changed the system from the night before, I'll never know.

Anyway... I managed to get a poster, but not without compromising my own poster-getting-principles. This, therefore, is both my public apology and my story of how karma comes back at ya: After pushing through the wristband corral (ridiculous...like trying to get to the front row back in the day) I found myself at the mass of people pushing and shoving their way to the front of the merch booth on the right. I got almost to the front when they announced they were sold out. So I booked it over to the other booth and weaseled my way to the front. Not proud of it, but I was within reach at the other booth. But, like they say, karma's a bitch. I got my wristband of shame and enjoyed my show. Picked up the poster at the end, no problems (I even found a plastic cup wrapper to keep it in). Went to a couple of bars and managed not to bend the poster or harm it in any way....

Then I left it in the F'ing cab I took home.

Like I said... Karma's a bitch.

So now I'm officially retired from posters. And I apologize if my cutting in line prevented anyone from getting their posters.

I just hope whoever ends up with my wayward poster appreciates it... It would have had some sentimental value.
First show: 3 November 1993 (San Diego)...

Most recent show: 12 July 2008 (VH1 Rock Honours)...

Next show: Let's get a tour together...

Ten Club... you make me smile.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Methinks an NYC cabbie just got himself an eBay account ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I hope the next person to get in the cab took it and knew what a score it was and kept it. The last thing I'd want is for the poster to be resold after my unscrupulous methods for obtaining it.

• Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    if you have the receipt for your cab ride, then you can try to track down the cabby.

Real sorry about your mishap.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    This poster stuff is crazy and out of control ... Power to those interested in it, but to me it sounds like more trouble than its worth. I'll stick to downloading boots.
  • Options
    vduboise wrote:
    if you have the receipt for your cab ride, then you can try to track down the cabby.

Real sorry about your mishap.

Thanks. Yah... I submitted a lost item thingy on the TLC website, but I'm not holding my breath...

It's my penance.

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    This poster stuff is crazy and out of control ... Power to those interested in it, but to me it sounds like more trouble than its worth. I'll stick to downloading boots.

You're not joking.

Night two at MSG went to pick up my 10C tickets at 2:30. Got in the same line I was in the night before. After about 10 minutes of standing in a static line, I see dudes coming out of the box office with their tickets.

"What's this line for?" they ask me.
    "Fan club tickets," I say.

"We just came from the box office. You can just walk right up."
    "Then what the fuck is this line for?" I say.

Turns out, people were lined up to get in. To get posters. At 2:30.

Fuck. That.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    Man, I thought this was gonna be a thread about this video, which is probably the single best example of instant karma ever caught on video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nz054aIL-xY
  • Options
    You're not joking.

Night two at MSG went to pick up my 10C tickets at 2:30. Got in the same line I was in the night before. After about 10 minutes of standing in a static line, I see dudes coming out of the box office with their tickets.

"What's this line for?" they ask me.
    "Fan club tickets," I say.

"We just came from the box office. You can just walk right up."
    "Then what the fuck is this line for?" I say.

Turns out, people were lined up to get in. To get posters. At 2:30.

Fuck. That.

Maybe one day there'll be an option to get a poster when you buy your 10 Club ticket. Then it will arrive nicely at your home after the show.

Others can dream... I'm retired.

• Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Firecloud wrote:
    Man, I thought this was gonna be a thread about this video, which is probably the single best example of instant karma ever caught on video:

I am sooo going to show this to my 7-year old as a huge warning. :P

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Firecloud wrote:

Now that is really f**ed up! Things always come back to you. whether good or bad.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Aw man, that video is fucked RIGHT up ...
    Its wrong to laugh, isn't it?
    :)
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    How About Reverse Karma---bad Shit Then Good Shit

Like You Stub Your Toe But Find A Qtr While Scream And Holla!!!!!!!

Amrak
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    Maybe one day there'll be an option to get a poster when you buy your 10 Club ticket. Then it will arrive nicely at your home after the show.

Others can dream... I'm retired.
    That would be far too sensible...we can always hope.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    holy shit....
    i like sound...
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    50th show? holy shiz.. you lucky shit :P