Options

Lighting/Lasers at PJ Shows

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited May 2008 in The Porch
ok, well i've always wondered about something.
see, i saw stp the other night, and they had all these certain lighting and video arrangements behind the stage while playing. however, they are playing the same setlist every night, so everything is all worked out and ready to go. this made me think, pj changes their setlists vastly EVERY NIGHT. and as we hear in IIC, sometimes the setlists aren't even finished until like 10 minutes before showtime. also take into account encores. bands with the same set every night have the same encore tunes. pj's every night is always different. HOW THE HELL DO THE LIGHT PEOPLE DO IT!? even small things like when the lights flash to the beat of the song or something. every pj song has something. how do they work that shit out? seriously?
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    i wondered if there was a way to connect the lighting to the drums for exams, like if cymbals are hit then a certain light does something.
  • Options
    kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    If it's like any modern-day lighting system, it's all done with computers. They program the changes in for each song before they tour, and then when the song comes up, they basically hit "play" and it runs. Of course, there's a person there for those unexpected things and long/different endings though. Also, I'm sure their lighting guy has been with them for a long time, so he knows what he's doing.
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    I think it's just a matter of the lighting guys knowing the catalogue as well as the guys do. But, not every song is lit the same way every time. There is a lot of "improv" that goes on in that area.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    they do some hard work. that must be an awesome job though.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    I BrisK I wrote:
    i wondered if there was a way to connect the lighting to the drums for exams, like if cymbals are hit then a certain light does something.

pretty sure you are talking about "triggers".

Imagine trying to do lights for Phish. Not only is the setlist different every show, but the songs are usually very different each time they are played. And Phish had one of the best "light shows" EVER. Kuroda is the GOD of lights.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    the only thing close to this by pearl jam is the wishlist disco ball.

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    radiohead has one of the most elaborate light shows ive ever seen while also mixing up their setlists ALOT... so theres no reason PJ shouldnt be able to do MORE with their lighting while still keeping the same variety... i think id like to see that... as much as i appreciate their straightforward approach...

i think the lighting is figured out for basically every potential song before the tour even starts... seems like it would have to be... theres so many elements to lighting every song
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Nah - I don't need a lot of fancy lights. Last tour they did some lasers on You Are and Severed Hand - but it felt weird and out of place at a PJ show to me.
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    Nah - I don't need a lot of fancy lights. Last tour they did some lasers on You Are and Severed Hand - but it felt weird and out of place at a PJ show to me.

The green lasers were the weirdest thing i've ever encounted at a PJ show.
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    tool has a killer light show.
    their green lasers were about 10 feet wide.

of course, Phish and Floyd are great.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the only thing close to this by pearl jam is the wishlist disco ball.

:)

yes...the wishlist mirrorball and the crotch lasers are the two best lighting features i've seen in a pj show.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Speaking of lasers, I think PJ should bring them to Bonnaroo. They might not want to use them for the entire tour since some fans here seem to be distracted by them, but I think the general non-PJ-fanatic part of the crowd at Roo would enjoy them as part of the light show. Honestly, I liked them for some songs.
  • Options
    jubilairesjljubilairesjl Posts: 497
    alot, if not all of the lights have a xlr connection so that the sound and lights can be synchronized and then you can control what you want the lights to do....other than that I would expect that the lighting technician just wings it because if you have something programmed then that can change very quickly and it can be a pain...so doing it as it happens is probably the more likely course but of course everyone is different
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    Want a light show... Go see Nine Inch Nails...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    as far as visuals , light shows, and the rock and roll spectacle,

oine would have to at the very least mention U2 .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I wouldn't care if PJ never changed the lights. I just want to hear the music.
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    I really dislike what they're doing with lights lately... it adds cheesy distraction to what used to be their calling card: hard-fought passion on a bare-bones stage.

Simple, spare colors behind the band used to be so nice to see as they burned into different moods. No distractions from the impact of the music itself; just a pure connection. Look at Touring Band, for just one example.

Nowadays that laser/sweeping strobe/ flashing crap at every turn seems like just a chit on the path of becoming a derivative/routine band. Sort of like Avocado I suppose. Immagine, I shudder as I watch thee.
  • Options
    i think some of you have it wrong.
    lights and lasers can add to the mood and effect of the music.
    the green lasers during inside job were fucking AMAZING in my opinion.
    made the song all the more drifty.
    then your crazy flashing lights and all that good stuff adds to the fast momentum of heavier tunes. i dig the light stuff, and i would LOVE to see them green lasers again.
  • Options
    celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    Lights and video screens add to overall concert experience...but if it meant the cost of tickets would increase I'd say, no thanks.

I'm good with what we got.
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    corduroid wrote:
    I really dislike what they're doing with lights lately... it adds cheesy distraction to what used to be their calling card: hard-fought passion on a bare-bones stage.

Ok, I have a task for you. For your next PJ concert eat some shrooms and then see what you think of those lasers! ;)
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
    4Powers20 wrote:
    pretty sure you are talking about "triggers".

dude......
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    well on some songs the lighting is still pretty much nothing but a coloured background anyway, so not that much has changed

others like Go had mental flashes and strobes and it worked brilliantly for that song. Inside Job, Black, Severed Hand had lighting that really stood out for the way it fit the mood of the songs on last tour imo.....

But most the songs had really simple lighting. there was the waves background instead of a blank screen, but the lighting itself wasnt anything overly distracting.

anyone here ever seen DJ YODA? thats a distracting VA show. you just end up watching all the videos while you're dancing - great fun, but hugely distracting from the music!
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Ok, I have a task for you. For your next PJ concert eat some shrooms and then see what you think of those lasers! ;)
    lol ... 6/30 baby! Looking forward to the trip :D
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    then your crazy flashing lights and all that good stuff adds to the fast momentum of heavier tunes. i dig the light stuff, and i would LOVE to see them green lasers again.

I agree about the lasers on inside job...that was pretty cool and went along perfect with the song. I like the huge plain spotlights during the Hallelujah part of DTE as well
    as long as they don't add pyro and explosions, and eddie riding around the arena on a huge inflatable microphone, I am alright with it.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    exactly. radiohead's lights really help add to the mood of the song, I love em.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    On the 06 tour, they had very cool green lights (lasers? I don't know) during Severed Hand, and I liked them, but plenty of people on here complained. I guess it can go overboard, but if its done in an interesting way and not excessively it can add to the experience.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    nocodelover22nocodelover22 Posts: 108
    corduroid wrote:
    lol ... 6/30 baby! Looking forward to the trip :D

Bring some extra for us lowly Canadians to buy...we have to cross the god damn border, so our "recreational" fun will have to be left at home
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    I loved the lights during Inside Job too, I love how Ed told everyone to light up right before too, awesome show
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.