Options

No Love for Pearl Jam in Seattle......AGAIN!!!

edited July 2008 in The Porch
model role model
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
    I like Nirvana and Hendrix rules, but no PJ???
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Miles Davis over Eddie Vedder in Illinois? Ok, I'll allow that one. :p
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    mattcoz wrote:
    Miles Davis over Eddie Vedder in Illinois? Ok, I'll allow that one. :p

I might go with EV.
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Yeah, I saw that paper last Thursday. Picked it up on my lunch break, checked out the Washington picks, then threw it in the next trash can. Not very environmentally friendly of me, but what the fuck.

I liked Nirvana enough back in the day, but seriously, has anyone listened to any of their records in the last 10 years? They haven't aged well. But it's easier for any critic to look cool by picking them instead of the band that actually somehow kept their shit together and became the greatest live band in rock history.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that paper last Thursday. Picked it up on my lunch break, checked out the Washington picks, then threw it in the next trash can. Not very environmentally friendly of me, but what the fuck.

I liked Nirvana enough back in the day, but seriously, has anyone listened to any of their records in the last 10 years? They haven't aged well. But it's easier for any critic to look cool by picking them instead of the band that actually somehow kept their shit together and became the greatest live band in rock history.

I think Cobain passing did make them more of a legendary band, but I think PJ really is underrated in the mainstream as they don't get recognition like U2, Springsteen, The Police, etc. and yet I think due to longevity they should be on the top echelon of rock bands at this point. Some may say they've got ways to go but I've got them up there with all the "classic" rock bands at this point.
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    we'll se at SUB POP 20 CONCERT
  • Options
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    we'll se at SUB POP 20 CONCERT

I read a book about SuB Pop years ago...I think it was called Loser (that's a true story...true title). Good background info on Seattle and Sub Pop.
  • Options
    I read a book about SuB Pop years ago...I think it was called Loser (that's a true story...true title). Good background info on Seattle and Sub Pop.

Good book from what I remember. No Aerosmith in Boston?
    model role model
  • Options
    well if it's any consolation, they're going nuts on the DMB message board over Neptunes taking Virginia.
  • Options
    emeraldkityemeraldkity Posts: 370
    well I know this is a joke the Beach boys instead of CSNY in CA? :rolleyes:

right
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options

right

Had to think for a second. Thought CSNY was a new television crime drama.
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325

right

You need to listen to Pet Sounds, my friend.

Besides, the Y of CSNY is from Canada, and the N is from England.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    Had to think for a second. Thought CSNY was a new television crime drama.

or metallica
  • Options
    jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    how the Neptunes beat Dave Matthews Band in VA is beyond me.
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    I think Cobain passing did make them more of a legendary band, but I think PJ really is underrated in the mainstream as they don't get recognition like U2, Springsteen, The Police, etc. and yet I think due to longevity they should be on the top echelon of rock bands at this point. Some may say they've got ways to go but I've got them up there with all the "classic" rock bands at this point.

U2 and Springsteen have had hits throughout their career. Pearl Jam has not had a bona fide hit with the mass audience since Last Kiss, and you'd have to go back to I Got Id before that. WWS was a hit for about 4 weeks then dissappeared completely, and that was just on the modern rock charts. There really isn't a reason for the media to give them attention that U2/Springsteen have received.

On XM, I probably hear 3 times as many different Nirvana songs than PJ. Unfortunate.
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    U2 and Springsteen have had hits throughout their career. Pearl Jam has not had a bona fide hit with the mass audience since Last Kiss, and you'd have to go back to I Got Id before that. WWS was a hit for about 4 weeks then dissappeared completely, and that was just on the modern rock charts. There really isn't a reason for the media to give them attention that U2/Springsteen have received.

On XM, I probably hear 3 times as many different Nirvana songs than PJ. Unfortunate.

PJ get's a lot of credit and radio time on my local radio station, and the station usually blows. When it comes down to it I think a lot of people now know how special Pearl Jam really is. Springsteen and U2.. yea they put out tons of hits over a few DECADES... Pearl Jam has been one of, if not the best live band over a few DECADES.

Cobain on the other hand, shot himself in the head. I don't care how legendary some people think that made Nirvana... they are gone, and have been for over half of my lifetime. Nirvana COULD HAVE BEEN a great band...but they never made it. RIP Kurt.
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

I listened to In Utero yesterday. It friggin rocked.

As to it not aging well that's an opinion not a fact my friend.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    WTF?!?! No SRV for Texas!!!
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    emeraldkityemeraldkity Posts: 370

I was drug to see the Beach boys twice! :P
    I almost went into a diabetic coma

I realize where Neil is from- (and that they often performed with out him,) but CSNY is generally considered to be leaders in the California sound
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options

I was drug to see the Beach boys twice! :P
    I almost went into a diabetic coma

I realize where Neil is from- (and that they often performed with out him,) but CSNY is generally considered to be leaders in the California sound

Eagles are cool too.
    model role model
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    How do you apologize to Sleater Kinney and not even recognize Pearl Jam???
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    I think they got it with Georgia's picks.. REM and Ray Charles :)