JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
edited March 2011 in The Porch
Sad here
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Any song on Binaural.

Yep, 'Sad' is a great song but it was left off Binaural for a reason. It belongs where it is. It'd lose its magic if it had been on Binaural.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    Any song on Binaural.

Yep, 'Sad' is a great song but it was left off Binaural for a reason. It belongs where it is. It'd lose its magic if it had been on Binaural.

Totally agree
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    edited March 2011
    Sleight of Hand!
    Post edited by Jeremys Spoken on
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,522
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I also agree with boyo79.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Binaural > Sad any second of the year.
  • Options

That is a killer version
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Brisk. wrote:
    He speaks the gospel
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    boyo79 wrote:
    Yep, 'Sad' is a great song but it was left off Binaural for a reason. It belongs where it is.

I totally disagree. 'God's Dice' and 'Evacuation' are B-sides at best whereas 'Sad' or 'Fatal' could be another band's best song.

You say that it was left of Binarual for a reason. True. But do you know the reason? If you think that it's because it "didn't fit" on Binarual, I'd argue that you're wrong. I think it was left of specifically so it can be an "newly released" song on Lost Dogs. Right? Notice how Binarual was the first PJ record where the singles didn't have unreleased B-sides? They hoarded them for Lost Dogs...which is fine by me because I loved hearing "new" songs when I bought Lost Dogs.

This kinda shows that Lost Dogs was years in the making. And I'd also argue that these reissues were planned for years as well. Why was an instrumental of 'Brother' on Lost Dogs? So the version with vocals can be released with the Ten reissue. 'Crazy Mary' was conspicuously absent from Lost Dogs. Why? So now it can be filler on the Vs/Vitalogy reissue. The most glaring omission from Lost Dogs was 'Leatherman'. Why was it omitted? So it can eventually be on the Yield reissue along with this 'Leatherman 2' song that Ed has mentioned.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    boyo79 wrote:
    Yep, 'Sad' is a great song but it was left off Binaural for a reason. It belongs where it is.

I totally disagree. 'God's Dice' and 'Evacuation' are B-sides at best whereas 'Sad' or 'Fatal' could be another band's best song.

You say that it was left of Binarual for a reason. True. But do you know the reason? If you think that it's because it "didn't fit" on Binarual, I'd argue that you're wrong. I think it was left of specifically so it can be an "newly released" song on Lost Dogs. Right? Notice how Binarual was the first PJ record where the singles didn't have unreleased B-sides? They hoarded them for Lost Dogs...which is fine by me because I loved hearing "new" songs when I bought Lost Dogs.

This kinda shows that Lost Dogs was years in the making. And I'd also argue that these reissues were planned for years as well. Why was an instrumental of 'Brother' on Lost Dogs? So the version with vocals can be released with the Ten reissue. 'Crazy Mary' was conspicuously absent from Lost Dogs. Why? So now it can be filler on the Vs/Vitalogy reissue. The most glaring omission from Lost Dogs was 'Leatherman'. Why was it omitted? So it can eventually be on the Yield reissue along with this 'Leatherman 2' song that Ed has mentioned.
    And Out of My Mind was recorded in Area 54 with these guys...
    Star-Wars-Cantina-Band.jpgNow that's a conspiracy theory...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    blasphemy
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    boyo79 wrote:

You say that it was left of Binarual for a reason. True. But do you know the reason? If you think that it's because it "didn't fit" on Binarual, I'd argue that you're wrong.

I'm pretty certain that I didn't say it didn't fit on Binaural. I actually said its a great song. The band left it off the record not me. I'd hazard a guess they felt the songs that made it on Binaural were better than 'Sad'. Its irrelevant anyway, its not on the album. If it'd made the album and say 'Thin Air' never made it, we'd only be saying "Thin Air should have made it".

I like Binaural as it is, I wouldn't change it and I totally disagree on your viewpoint that 'Gods Dice' and 'Evacuation' are B-side at best. 'God's Dice' is so under-rated in my humble opinion.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

+ 1000

Let me just say that video is without a doubt one of my favorite Pearl Jam moments of all time.

It is otherworldly in it's feeling. Brilliant.

And I love sad, but NAIS is tops, and probably Fatal is a close second, with Sad in the top 5, and perhaps the top three from those sessions for me.
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:

Agreed.

haha, while this may all be true. At the end of the day, pJ has more songs than you shake a stick at....so, I guess I don't see a difference where these songs re-surface. If they put every B-side/single/etc on Lost Dogs...we would have 4 CD set instead of 2.

Plus, aren't these guys beyond money at this point. Aren't they doing this for fun? I mean...i know you can never have too much cash...but, they have to be beyond loaded...??? amirite?
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842

So much better than the version from Lo10L.. thanks for the vid..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:

And Out of My Mind was recorded in Area 54 with these guys...
    Star-Wars-Cantina-Band.jpgNow that's a conspiracy theory...

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Two words. Light Years
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Two words. Light Years

2 more words...

....fuck yeah!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Two words. Light Years

2 more words...

....fuck yeah!

:D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,772
    I think Sad was/is a great fit for Binaural. I pair it with Light Years and I think it makes Light Years even better.

As far as Sad vs. Binaural, I would take Of The Girl; otherwise Sad is 2nd.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    When Lost Dogs came out I tried to make my own version of "Binaural" and it ended up being like a 70 minute album. Which is fine by me, but here is the tracklisting I went with:
    1. Breakerfall
    2. God's Dice
    3. In the Moonlight
    4. Sad
    5. Nothing As It Seems
    6. Evacuation
    7. Hitchhiker
    8. Thin Air
    9. Grievance
    10. Education
    11. Of the Girl
    12. Rival
    13. Insignificance
    14. Light Years
    15. Sleight of Hand
    16. Soon Forget
    17. Fatal
    18. Parting Ways
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    RVM1978 wrote:
    When Lost Dogs came out I tried to make my own version of "Binaural" and it ended up being like a 70 minute album. Which is fine by me, but here is the tracklisting I went with:
    1. Breakerfall
    2. God's Dice
    3. In the Moonlight
    4. Sad
    5. Nothing As It Seems
    6. Evacuation
    7. Hitchhiker
    8. Thin Air
    9. Grievance
    10. Education
    11. Of the Girl
    12. Rival
    13. Insignificance
    14. Light Years
    15. Sleight of Hand
    16. Soon Forget
    17. Fatal
    18. Parting Ways
    Great Setlist!
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Two words. Light Years

2 more words...

....fuck yeah!
    I am all for this one. I like Sad, but c'mon, Light Years KICKS ASS.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,275
    insignificance!
    danny d
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:

Brisk, can you fill me in on the video in your avatar?
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Two words. Light Years

2 more words...

....fuck yeah!

100% Agree!!!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    boyo79 wrote:

Oh i totally agree with this.

I'd say the only songs i might like more then sad are All or None & Sleight of Hand otherwise i'm taking sad over every other song on there.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,772

No way. Sad beat up Light Years and took its lunch money. :o:lol:;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    the lyrics to light years are some of ed's best.
  • Options

No way. Sad beat up Light Years and took its lunch money. :o:lol:;)
    LOL