Options

Poster Tube Questions

nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I know I've seen this here before, but darned if I can remember the answers.

So...

Can I bring poster tubes to shows in case I buy a poster?

What size should I get?

Thanks for any help.
EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    nukeboot wrote:

So...

What size should I get?

Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't do that. Instead, bring a tall kitchen plastic bag and a few rubber bands with you. Get the poster, roll it within the bag, and wrap a few rubber bands around it. Everything fits in your pocket with ease, and no hassles from security.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    nukeboot wrote:

So...

What size should I get?

Thanks for any help.

The answer is...its a crapshoot - sometimes yeah, sometimes no...sometimes the venue's policy isn't properly enforced by security. You bring one, be prepared to be hassled. Keep in mind it SHOULDN'T be a problem, but from personal experience 50% of the time, it is. That said, on the EV solo tour, I didn't travel with a tube and no one appeared to get any grief from security.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,615
    nukeboot wrote:

So...

What size should I get?

Thanks for any help.

PJ's security informs venue security NOT to allow any poster tubes inside venues,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    PJ's security informs venue security NOT to allow any poster tubes inside venues,...

Now that's interesting. Someone must have smuggled in bottle rockets...

Might have to go the plastic bag route.
  • Options
    I've always done the plastic bag deal. Have recieved some weird looks, but that's about it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    I've always done the plastic bag deal. Have recieved some weird looks, but that's about it.

I rocked the bag in Santa B and people thought I was a pretty big nerd...the chick sitting two or three seats to my right had her poster on the ground rolled - the dude beside us got up to go piss or something and totally crushed her poster. I gotta say, she looked down in disgust and then just kept on jamming. I would have been bummed all night. Some people have their priorities in order. The bag wouldn't have protected against a drunk men's size 11.
  • Options
    wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
    nukeboot wrote:

So...

What size should I get?

Thanks for any help.

go to home depot and get pvc tube and fill it with d batteries and they should let you in with that
  • Options
    nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    100 Pacer wrote:

proof? tubes were allowed at the ev berkeley show. (i know, i brought and emailed the venue before i went). Also at the 2006 Milwaukee show, the merch people were selling tubes.
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,615
    nimsu8 wrote:
    proof? tubes were allowed at the ev berkeley show. (i know, i brought and emailed the venue before i went). Also at the 2006 Milwaukee show, the merch people were selling tubes.

i brought a poster tube inside the venue for each of the eV Vancouver concerts as an exception was made for the eV tour; however, that exception will likely not carry over to the upcoming PJ tour, the "proof" being the policy used for the last several tours was that tubes weren't allowed inside venues,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    nimsu8 wrote:

Sweet, never saw them selling tubes in any of the shows I attended, but Sweet.
    Advice- Call the venue ahead of time. And when you get there give the tube to a hot girl and get in the line for a pervert looking fucker, should be no thang!
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Just don't put up a fight at the door if they say no. Toss it, and move on. If anyone holds up my line and gets in my way of even buying a poster, they will not live to see the opening act. :)
    I went w/the bag and rubberbands last time around, and it worked perfectly fine. I've actually been saving Sunday newspaper bags for a few weeks so that I have for my group and whomever else wants. They're good b/c they're long and narrow.
    Some venues will even have a merch booth outside, so you can buy it and put it in your car before doors even open.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    Just don't put up a fight at the door if they say no. Toss it, and move on. If anyone holds up my line and gets in my way of even buying a poster, they will not live to see the opening act. :)

I will demand to see their supervisor if they don't let me in with it. I will call the ACLU on my cell phone to get them to file a court injunction if that doesn't work. All this after I handcuff myself to the turnstile and eat the key.

Are you going to the MSG shows? If so, which gate will you be entering?

:D
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    I have tons of empty poster tubes from 10C poster sales/other poster sales. I will bring a few with me on the trip. If a venue says "NO", I can just toss it in the trash. No loss. I like the bag/rubber band solution as well. Maybe bring both just in case the tube is a no go, then fall back on bag thing.

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    I have tons of empty poster tubes from 10C poster sales/other poster sales. I will bring a few with me on the trip.

What size tubes are you bringing?
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    nukeboot wrote:
    I will demand to see their supervisor if they don't let me in with it. I will call the ACLU on my cell phone to get them to file a court injunction if that doesn't work. All this after I handcuff myself to the turnstile and eat the key.

Are you going to the MSG shows? If so, which gate will you be entering?

:D
    ;) Cute.
    No, but really...someone at East Rutherford totally screwed over myself and my whole line b/c they fought with security for a good few minutes while everyone else filed in around the building to go buy their posters. That, added to the crooked vendors at that particular venue, equaled an unhappy group of people.
    And no, I can't make it to MSG this year. So torment whomever you'd like (except for wickedmonkeyz and his crew). :)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    13PJ13 wrote:
    ;) Cute.
    No, but really...someone at East Rutherford totally screwed over myself and my whole line b/c they fought with security for a good few minutes while everyone else filed in around the building to go buy their posters. That, added to the crooked vendors at that particular venue, equaled an unhappy group of people.
    And no, I can't make it to MSG this year. So torment whomever you'd like (except for wickedmonkeyz and his crew). :)

Yes - exactly the point...in Santa Barbara they decided at the last min that the line I was in was for GIRL ONLY (WTF?), after some protest, they allowed me to stay but I was stuck behind the purse patrol and ended up way back at merch even though I waited 2 hrs in line and should have been 3rd through the door. The moral of the story is...please try and make things easier on those behind you.
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    The moral of the story is...please try and make things easier on those behind you.

So I guess I shouldn't wear my Car Bomb Driver t-shirt to the shows...

I promise not to delay the line - I want a poster.