Options

World Wide Suicide

guitar_daveyguitar_davey Posts: 111
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Interesting that Pearl Jam's biggest latter-day "hit" has been omitted from the first three shows of this year. I wonder if ten years from we'll be calling for it to be played again after so long?

Seems it would still be timely and relevant given the fact it's an election year...

Hmm....

DP
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    guitar_daveyguitar_davey Posts: 111
    BeerBaron wrote:
    i'm surprised at that too. pleasantly surprised though. I think it is one of the worst songs on Avocado.

To each their own--I thought it was the most kick-ass song on the record. :-) Really awesome lyrics and great energy...the live versions were kinda hit and miss in comparison however.

DP
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Interesting that Pearl Jam's biggest latter-day "hit" has been omitted from the first three shows of this year. I wonder if ten years from we'll be calling for it to be played again after so long?

Seems it would still be timely and relevant given the fact it's an election year...

Hmm....

DP

I'm surprised by that too. I had a feeling after the 2006 tour that WWS was going to become an every night song like Do the Evolution. I hope they play it at one of the shows I go to
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    That song requires a lot of work and energy from Eddie, so I wouldn't be surprised if he put it to rest.
  • Options
    i really like wws, but wouldnt mind if they gave it a break this tour
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    the lead single from the last album, always gets a rest on the following tour. it will be back later, a la save you.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    it will be played soon
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I hate to say it....

Ed can't pull it off live. It seems to sound like shit.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    I'm very suprised this song still has not been played. Even in DC.
    Interesting. Not complaining, its just interesting.
    Maybe the badn doesn't think its appropriate anyumore????
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    To each their own--I thought it was the most kick-ass song on the record. :-) Really awesome lyrics and great energy...the live versions were kinda hit and miss in comparison however.

DP
    Banana Banana Banana Banana
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    ArtMarsArtMars Posts: 109
    BeerBaron wrote:
    i'm surprised at that too. pleasantly surprised though. I think it is one of the worst songs on Avocado.

Nah...the worst is Big Wave! The only song I don't like from Avocado! And I think Severed Hand has become the favorite of the band from that album....and I couldn't have chose a better song myself. That, or Inside Job!
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    ArtMars wrote:
    Nah...the worst is Big Wave! The only song I don't like from Avocado! And I think Severed Hand has become the favorite of the band from that album....and I couldn't have chose a better song myself. That, or Inside Job!
    I didn't like Big Wave until I watched Surf's Up with my kids.....now i dig it
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917

DP

I like the song as well ... Hoping it shows up at some point.
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Me too..I kind of like it. Maybe not every show, but every now and then.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I agree ... Not nightly, but here and there.

Maybe I am a little weird and/or too obsessed with the band, but I like nearly all their songs. People specifically requesting that they NOT play something is annoying. Diversity is good.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I wish this had become the Avocado every night song, as opposed to Severed Hand. I just think this song is extremely song, especially in comparison to that one. However, Severed Hand is the one getting by far the most play this year from that album.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    digster wrote:
    I wish this had become the Avocado every night song, as opposed to Severed Hand. I just think this song is extremely song, especially in comparison to that one. However, Severed Hand is the one getting by far the most play this year from that album.

Severed Hand is better than WWS. That is a scientifically proven fact. However, I wouldn't boo and throw things if they decided to play WWS more than zero times this tour.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Severed Hand is better than WWS. That is a scientifically proven fact. However, I wouldn't boo and throw things if they decided to play WWS more than zero times this tour.

Although I enjoyed Severed Hand when the album first came out, it's had absolutely no staying power with me. Personally, I think it's a pretty weak song, especially when compared to WWS, which is more emotional, lyrically powerful, and as an added bonus it's extremely catchy. Probably not an opinion I share with many on the board, but I'd want to see many songs on Avocado before Severed Hand.
  • Options
    In itself, I believe it to be a great song. However, live it does seem to be lacking. There is simply not enough aggression given to the chorus. It is lackluster.
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    digster wrote:
    Although I enjoyed Severed Hand when the album first came out, it's had absolutely no staying power with me. Personally, I think it's a pretty weak song, especially when compared to WWS, which is more emotional, lyrically powerful, and as an added bonus it's extremely catchy. Probably not an opinion I share with many on the board, but I'd want to see many songs on Avocado before Severed Hand.
    I agree, though I do love the frantic, staccato quality of Severed Hand. Marker and comeback would be nice more often.
    I'm probably going to get shot for this, but if any song needs a rest...
    It's Even Flow. I love it, but it appears on almost every boot I have.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I agree ... Not nightly, but here and there.

Maybe I am a little weird and/or too obsessed with the band, but I like nearly all their songs. People specifically requesting that they NOT play something is annoying. Diversity is good.
    definitely!!
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Although I enjoyed Severed Hand when the album first came out, it's had absolutely no staying power with me. Personally, I think it's a pretty weak song.

It definitely is. The main riff is boneheaded and the middle 8 sucks.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270

Hmm....

DP

wicked song!should play it
    danny d
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    WWS is a great song but it really doesnt work live, the guitars and vocals during the chorus sound really weak nothing like the album version