Holy Grails - Spreading the love even further?

PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
edited February 2011 in Lost Dogs
I know that I may get destroyed on the board for this post but I wanted to hear people's opinions about the holy grail gifts.

Before I ask my question, I want to make two points:

1. I think these Holy Grail gifts are incredible and I have tried to contribute to all of them. I think the generosity on this board is amazing and it is always cool to read about the recipient's reaction when they get their most-wanted PJ item.

2. The point of my question is not to criticize the organizers of these holy grail collections. I know that it is a lot of work to locate the item, collect funds from people and get the item safely into the hands to the recipient. I am just trying to start a discussion.

My question is this:

Is there a way to spread the love from these holy grails even further? I feel like sometimes. we are going overboard on the holy grail gifts, sending people their holy grail as well as a bunch of other PJ stuff. Or buying people a number of different items for their holy grail. Isn't someone's "Holy Grail" the ONE PJ item that they have always wanted?
I would just rather see 50 people receive their holy grails than have 10 people get their holy grail and some other cool stuff too.
Maybe the organizer has extra funds to spend or if they are just trying to surprise the recipient with something that they were not expecting. If there are leftover funds, maybe we can figure out a way to carry the $ for the next recipient.

Just wanted to see what people thought.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I get what your saying and I actually think that might be a cool idea but what I think is cooler is the fact that someone gets their Holy Grail and something else they didn't expect. For Example, when we got Andrew those extra items he went crazy over them! When I got his reaction it was priceless!!! I think if the extra things are within reasonable price then go for it! :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    I understand what your saying but it's really up to the organiser of it guess. I do think that's a nice idea though.I really liked Matt's (mfc's) idea of giving any left over money to Wishlist Foundation or some other charity. Just thought that was a good idea. (Forgive me Matt if it wasn't you, I have a memory like a sieve but I'm pretty sure it was you)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I get what your saying and I actually think that might be a cool idea but what I think is cooler is the fact that someone gets their Holy Grail and something else they didn't expect. For Example, when we got Andrew those extra items he went crazy over them! When I got his reaction it was priceless!!! I think if the extra things are within reasonable price then go for it! :D

I agree that it was very cool to read about Andrew's reaction. Like I said before, I think the Holy Grail gifts are awesome. I would just rather see more people get their holy grails than just a few people. Based on the 14 page thread about everyone's Holy Grail, it seem like there are a lot of people to get to.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    Loulou wrote:
    I understand what your saying but it's really up to the organiser of it guess. I do think that's a nice idea though.I really liked Matt's (mfc's) idea of giving any left over money to Wishlist Foundation or some other charity. Just thought that was a good idea. (Forgive me Matt if it wasn't you, I have a memory like a sieve but I'm pretty sure it was you)

I love the idea of giving the extra funds to charity.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Love the idea of donating to charity. Making rules on the "holy grail" deal is a tricky tightrope though. When we did mfc2006's grail, I didn't have leftover funds.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Loulou wrote:

yup--that was me. we had just enough to cover the cost, but i'm making a donation anyway on behalf of all of those that contributed. but that's just me---every organizer is different. i was just happy that i pulled it off! haha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    I think that it would be a good idea to make a fund but who would manage it? and I think it should be up to the receiver and the organizer what to do with extra donation money if any. If the receiver has a specific charity that they want to give to, maybe they can do that. Or possibly they could have extra go to another Grail in the receivers name. Just a couple ideas.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Love the idea of donating to charity. Making rules on the "holy grail" deal is a tricky tightrope though. When we did mfc2006's grail, I didn't have leftover funds.
    I agree - the norm is that we usually do not have any money leftover. Usually the people putting it together are putting in extra at the end to buy the item.

Plus, sometimes people only give because they may know the person - would it be fair to use someone's donation for someone else's holy grail? I like what we did (and sort of still doing because it's not 100% complete yet) for elwayvedder's holy grail. The extra amount is going towards his charity - Yellow Ribbon. I think whoever the holy grail is for should be able to choose what charity the extra funds go towards. To me, and I'm pretty sure that I can speak on Dave's behalf, the donation going towards Yellow Ribbon means SO much more than him getting his holy grail
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    EZ1221C wrote:
    I think that it would be a good idea to make a fund but who would manage it? and I think it should be up to the receiver and the organizer what to do with extra donation money if any. If the receiver has a specific charity that they want to give to, maybe they can do that. Or possibly they could have extra go to another Grail in the receivers name. Just a couple ideas.
    beat me to it :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    i'm just all for giving. count me in.

edit: and for the record, i did give a chunk at the end for Chris' grail. but i had pm'd some folks saying that any leftover $ would be going to Wishlist. when it was all said & done, i decided to do that myself. to each, their own.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • after the outrageous shipping cost for the Ten Super Deluxe from US to Oz, I was lucky to still have the shirt on my back! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014