Options

is pearl jam for the humorless

IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
edited May 2008 in The Porch
is it only for the gloomy and morose??

i have often been told that pearl jam isnt for the jovial, is for people who dont like parties and dance music, those who are introverted etc.

is it true. what do you think??
I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
Come step inside my tears
Swim the magic ocean,
I've been crying all these years
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Says who???? :confused:
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    I'm NEVER gloomy or morose. Though I do hate dance music.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    i´m introverted, so partilly yes! but i met so many extroverted people at the shows so i would say pretty well mixed.
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Anyone whose ever been to a show will know this is not true. PJ fans are lots of fun, and couldn't possibly be pigeonholed into such a narrow characterization.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Anyone whose ever been to a show will know this is not true. PJ fans are lots of fun, and couldn't possibly be pigeonholed into such a narrow characterization.
    that may be true and i'm sure it is, but are pearl jam fans a bit more of the serious type than the mainstream crowd, are they not a bit less frivolous than teenyboppers and back street boys.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    that may be true and i'm sure it is, but are pearl jam fans a bit more of the serious type than the mainstream crowd, are they not a bit less frivolous than teenyboppers and back street boys.

of course, but in no way is it a poor reflection on us, just the idiots we're being compared to
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    i think that pearl jam are for people who like good music and that mean they hate dance music so yeah on that front you're right but I had met so many big personalities when I have been to the shows.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    I think that every individual tends to believe that he/she is special and that same features (plus some ideal representations of him/her) are then reflected upon groups or interests that he/she has or is part of.

So yes you may believe that we have a great taste of music and that we are something special because so is Pearl Jam, but I guarantee you that Britney Spears' fans think the same of themselves.

I think the truth is that if you point out some characteristic of every single Pearl Jam fan and put it on a scale you pretty much get the average image that isn't much different than that of any other fan group. For example extremely introverted people on one side and extremely extroverted on the other but majority somewhere in between. It might be that Pearl Jam attracts more people of some kind then other bands do but that is only a very small differentiation and not specific.

I hope my point came across as I wanted. :) And don't get me wrong..I am pretty special haha :D
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    tell them to listen to "Dirty Frank"
    2000: DC / 2002: Letterman 2 / 2003: Raleigh, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Philly, State College, Camden 1, Camden 2, DC, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hershey, Holmdel, Bridgeschool 1, Bridgeschool 2 / 2004: Reading / 2005: Philly / 2006: Camden 1, DC / 2008: Palm Beach,Camden 1,Camden 2,DC,MSG 1,MSG 2,Boston 2 / 2009: (EV) Philly 2, (EV) Baltimore 2, San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2, Philly 3, Philly 4 / 2010: Boston, Newark, MSG 1, MSG 2 / 2011: (EV) Philly
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    someone needs to show that guy the videos of (take your pick):
    Wombats, Munich-to-Katowice bus, Munich Oktoberfest, Lollapalooza parties, either of the Dublin St Paddy day weekends, the Norwegian weekend... and most of those didn't even involve a PJ gig/tour, just the fans! :D

only thing possibly tru in the op is the dance music part..and then again, put a few pints in us and nobody cares what they dance to :p
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    PJ is "thinking persons music", so yeah, we don't run around giggling and snapping our gum. so what?
  • Options
    PJ is "thinking persons music", so yeah, we don't run around giggling and snapping our gum. so what?
    so it makes us seem uncool, unforthcoming, less frivolous, aloof etc.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    well, i like to party and get home with the downies......but i love my PJ for my "me time"

if i have people round mine they want to party to dance or pop, or maybe even cheesy light rock/something everyone knows... like Scorpions,Journey or AC/DC, LZ....but i put on PJ and they all give out about the depressing heavy music.......pffft :)

there are lots of bands' fans that you could describe in the same way

Radiohead
    EITS
    Mogwai
    Pumpkins
    AIC
    SG
    NIN
    Tool
    Nirvana

similar stereotypes?
  • Options
    so it makes us seem uncool, unforthcoming, less frivolous, aloof etc.

"aloof"... :) ...if i had a penny...
  • Options
    Unless everyone's familiar with the music, you can see how PJ wouldn't exactly be prime "party" music - let's face it, when you're dancing, drunk and naked, you don't necessarily pick up on the wonderful nuances of the music. But take a look at people at your next PJ show - we knows how to boogie.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    A wise man once said:

Those who listen to sad music are happy. Those who listen to happy music are sad.
  • Options
    A wise man once said:

Those who listen to sad music are happy. Those who listen to happy music are sad.
    ah that explains it.

is it a Chinese proverb??

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    thats a bunch of bull....

If those people ever saw us at a show, they would see how we get down!
    Pearl Jam is for smart people not the antisocial :D
  • Options
    violetpsychevioletpsyche Posts: 122
    I think this has a lot to do with how far people feel they connect with the music and how seriously they take it. There seem to be a large number of Pearl Jam fans who feel a very strong emotional connection in this way, as the band seem naturally to attract that level of personal attachment. However, this could be said about plenty of other bands too.

I agree with the "it's not exactly something you put on at parties" sentiment. I do feel somewhat personally affronted by insults to the worth of the band, so I would avoid confrontations with people on the subject in order never to be considered "humourless". So, perhaps there is something in this afterall.....;)
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    is it only for the gloomy and morose??

i have often been told that pearl jam isnt for the jovial, is for people who dont like parties and dance music, those who are introverted etc.

is it true. what do you think??
    Ask the people who attended Milan 06 that, eh? Holy cow, that crowd put PJ to shame, in a good way.

Sometimes depending on the content of the song I may get in a bad mood as it may put me in touch with something similar in my life that wasn't so good. However, then there are the concerts, and songs like Given to Fly and Dirty Frank, and Severed Hand, and Corduroy, and other songs that are incredible live. Boston '06 #1 was probably the most joyous event I've attended in years. In fact, I can't think of others that hold a candle to it.

If someone plays rearviewmirror over and over and over, . . . eh, that person may get in a bad mood if the lyrics are the focus, and there is more than understanding someone else's story at stake.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    A wise man once said:

and how do you figure that?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    and how do you figure that?

eg a person who might not be enjoying themselves could want to listen to a happy song to cheer themselves up? etc
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Have you not noticed that most people are pretty humorless, regardless of the music they listen to?
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    I prefer to be considered joyless. Humorless just scratches the surface.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Fuck you for asking!!!

Just kidding. I'd say the typical Pearl Jam is more aware, more enlightened (how elitist this sounds) than the typical, say Fergie fan. But just go to a Pearl Jam concert and you'll see a bunch of people that can still have a good time.
  • Options
    Soybeans wrote:
    ok joyless then.

is pearl jam for the joyless or the less joyful ??

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    lance_graylance_gray Posts: 166
    Schoki wrote:
    i´m introverted, so partilly yes! but i met so many extroverted people at the shows so i would say pretty well mixed.

Agreed.
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • Options
    Soybeans wrote:

I prefer to think of myself as hanging on in quiet desperation

• Options
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I prefer to think of myself as hanging on in quiet desperation
    i am guessing that you are english

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834