Options

Boy won't wrestle with girl...forfeits match

eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This high school kid defaulted his match against a female opponent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highscho ... id=6131909
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    He knew he was going to lose.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Girls cheat. It was the smart thing to do.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    champ_display_image.jpg?1272919863
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    He was trying to avoid these ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUtvZhDNavDMbEe5eDMnx0g-ln7xA8V41pGL47qGB2pM2hFttJnA
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    she didn't make state by wrestling other girls only.... :roll:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    That's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation if there ever was one. It's unfortunate he was put in that kind of situation. No one wants to put the lumber on the girl kicker when a field goal attempt has a bad snap, but it happens and it's a shame that situations like that aren't avoided altogether. Especially since the declaration of title IX, I think there are enough sports that girls can play girl sports and boys can play boy sports. I suppose I'm going to be up against a mob of opposition, but that's how I feel about it.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Options
    If there's one sport out there i'd like to see become Bi-Gender? it's Baseball!!! Hardly any psychical contact and i've scene video of some girls out there that can hit and pitch.
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:
    she didn't make state by wrestling other girls only.... :roll:

I already said she cheated... :D

• Options
    Big Drop wrote:
    That's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation if there ever was one. It's unfortunate he was put in that kind of situation. No one wants to put the lumber on the girl kicker when a field goal attempt has a bad snap, but it happens and it's a shame that situations like that aren't avoided altogether. Especially since the declaration of title IX, I think there are enough sports that girls can play girl sports and boys can play boy sports. I suppose I'm going to be up against a mob of opposition, but that's how I feel about it.

are you saying that there should be no co-ed sports or are you saying that girls should only play hopscotch and jump rope??
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    Big Drop wrote:

i agree with you. girls shouldn't be wrestling against boys. it's ridiculous. and title IX is now having the opposite effect of it's intended purpose and is harming men sports because of it. it should be overturned.
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

are you saying that there should be no co-ed sports or are you saying that girls should only play hopscotch and jump rope??

at the high school level i don't think their shoud be coed varsity sports, intra-murals fine, but not varsity sports.
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

i like when girls jump up and down :thumbup:
  • Options
    i think some-most- sports should be and can be co-ed

but IMO wrestling would be difficult if it was co-ed
    seems one of the worst sports to pick co-ed, specifically at that level and stuff
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Big Drop wrote:

:?

no one is forcing her to wrestle...she wants to compete with the boys and knows the consequences

it's not her fault that an overwhelming percentage of males are still neanderthals
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I may have tried wrestling in H.S. if girls were allowed! The thought of squirming around on a sweaty mat with another male while dressed in a leotard was not at all appealing for me.

Plus, you were not allowed to hit people with folding chairs and deliver flying elbows from atop a ladder. And they called it wrestling .... :roll:
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

There's a reason that once we're past the age of 10 sports become gender segregated. It has always boggled me how girls are still allowed to participate in men's sports even after the age of gender segregation. All I'm saying is if this kid went in and rag-dolled this girl, he would have been remembered for the rest of the tourny as the kid who beat the girl to qualify for finals. If he would have lost, he never would have heard the end of it on that end as well. It said in the article that California, Texas, and Hawaii set up all girl wrestling tournaments, which is the way it should be. When my men's volleyball program was cut in high school, I wasn't allowed to just jump into the women's program, and I don't feel it should be allowed the other way around either.

Due to title IX, schools must provide equal or more women's sports to men's sports. If women play men's sports as well, don't you think title IX is kind of useless?
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

no one is forcing her to wrestle...she wants to compete with the boys and knows the consequences

it's not her fault that an overwhelming percentage of males are still neanderthals

yes but they are forcing a boy to wrestle a girl. you can't say it's ok to force a boy to wrestle her. she shouldn't be playing a sport for guys.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I understand that she knows the consequences but that doesn't mean that any male wrestler that breaks her collarbone wouldn't feel bad about it. Not all men are neanderthals and to simply suggest that is just as sexist as if you were to say something stereotypical yet untrue about a woman.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

yes but they are forcing a boy to wrestle a girl. you can't say it's ok to force a boy to wrestle her. she shouldn't be playing a sport for guys.

it's a sport for guys? how does having a penis make one better at a headlock?...she's an opponent...if his male ego is fragile to rick losing to a girl i guess it was a good thing he quit
  • Options
    Big Drop wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I understand that she knows the consequences but that doesn't mean that any male wrestler that breaks her collarbone wouldn't feel bad about it. Not all men are neanderthals and to simply suggest that is just as sexist as if you were to say something stereotypical yet untrue about a woman.

soa guy breaks a guys collarbone and it's ok? and i didn't say all now did i
  • Options
    It should come down to ability and playing at the highest level possible for an individual and not gender. She may go on to become an MMA fighter one day and those ladies would wipe the floor with 99% of us men.

• Options
    norm wrote:
    it's a sport for guys? how does having a penis make one better at a headlock?...she's an opponent...if his male ego is fragile to rick losing to a girl i guess it was a good thing he quit

I really don't like taking sides on these boards because there aren't very many people on the PJ boards I don't respect, but right now you're just stirring the pot. He didn't back down because of a frail ego, he backed out because he was uncomfortable with that situation. How many leads-in-the-high-school-musical has backed down because they found out there was an on stage kiss and they weren't comfortable with it, male or female? It's a situation that some of us do not want to be a part of, and it's a situation that, in this instance, should have been avoided. We're not trying to downplay this girl's accomplishments by any means and I think my previous arguments will support that.
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    It should come down to ability and playing at the highest level possible for an individual and not gender. She may go on to become an MMA fighter one day and those ladies would wipe the floor with 99% of us men.

so should i have been allowed to chose to play girls basketball in high school where i would have averaged about 30 points a game and been all-state instead of being a scrub on a lousy boys team?

and i'm guessing the rules for this girl regarding the uniform were probably changed so she didn't have to wear the same thing as the boys.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

so should i have been allowed to chose to play girls basketball in high school where i would have averaged about 30 points a game and been all-state instead of being a scrub on a lousy boys team?

Would that have been competing at your highest level? Read what I said. We should encourage those who show aptitude to compete at the highest level available.

• Options
    I just think it's crazy to the standard that high school men are held to. It's crazy for these kids who are at an age where they're trying so hard to figure out who the hell they are, that there's an understanding that they must be as masculine as possible and stand up to all opponents of their masculinity. Here's a kid that did the very un-masculine thing of backing out of this match. So it's being said that an "overwhelming majority of men are neanderthals," but then goes on to bash his "frail ego?"

You can't have it both ways, and whatever way you choose, I'll still say the system was wrong for putting him in this situation.
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Would that have been competing at your highest level? Read what I said. We should encourage those who show aptitude to compete at the highest level available.

I agree with this, and in this case, just like California, Texas, and Hawaii, a girls tournament should have been available to this girl. It's self-proclaimed in the article that wrestling in Iowa is very very big.
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

sure averaging 30 points a game and being all-state against girls is better than averaging 4 points a game on a lousy boys team FOR ME isn't it? by your definition then a girl could play for a boys team but a boy couldn't play for a girls team? that is pure reverse sexism.

clearly there is nothing that is going to change any of our minds, you either think it's ok or not. i think it's utterly ridiculous that a high school level a girl is competing against a boy in a physical hands-on sport.
  • Options
    the article did not state who her other opponents were for the matches she wrestled at. Is this the first time someone refused to wrestle her? She was matched up to him probably because there were no other females for her to wrestle or he was the best opponent for her.

I'm with norm here, she knows the concequences and risks, let her wrestle. I knew lots of guys on the wrestling team, and one guy would tell me how he broke a guys collar bone, or dislocate a shoulder. I know it's more of a technical and physical sport, but if some dude had one leg, would that keep you from wrestling him because you didn't want to be in a match with someone with a 'disadvantage'?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Big Drop wrote:
    I just think it's crazy to the standard that high school men are held to. It's crazy for these kids who are at an age where they're trying so hard to figure out who the hell they are, that there's an understanding that they must be as masculine as possible and stand up to all opponents of their masculinity. Here's a kid that did the very un-masculine thing of backing out of this match. So it's being said that an "overwhelming majority of men are neanderthals," but then goes on to bash his "frail ego?"

You can't have it both ways, and whatever way you choose, I'll still say the system was wrong for putting him in this situation.

agree and if you read the story the boy clearly states that 'wresting is a violent sport' and he doesn't think it is appropriate for a boy to go against a girl. i think taking a stand that violence against a girl can only be seen as a good thing.
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:
    the article did not state who her other opponents were for the matches she wrestled at. Is this the first time someone refused to wrestle her? She was matched up to him probably because there were no other females for her to wrestle or he was the best opponent for her.

I'm with norm here, she knows the concequences and risks, let her wrestle. I knew lots of guys on the wrestling team, and one guy would tell me how he broke a guys collar bone, or dislocate a shoulder. I know it's more of a technical and physical sport, but if some dude had one leg, would that keep you from wrestling him because you didn't want to be in a match with someone with a 'disadvantage'?

so you and Norm are advocating violence against a high school girl - or at least in the words of the boy you wouldn't wrestle. he clearly stated that wrestling is a 'violent' sport and it is not appropriate for a boy to act in that manner towards a girl.