Options

Ben Harper butchers RITFW at Lolla

pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I know a lot of people on this board like Ben Harper, and I have nothing against his music, but I was listening to RITFW from Lollapalooza today, and my God he butchers the shit out of it. I was there and really didn't notice it, but it came on my IPOD today and it was like someone scraping their fingernails on a chalkboard.

I shall bend over now so those who don't agree and want to be hostile towards me can have their way with my bunghole....but I AM a heterosexual, so PLEASE be gentle.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    I went to the Justice Tour show last month here in Chicago at which Ben Harper played and at the end he did RITFW which Tom and some others and Ben fucked it up then as well. He was trying to read the lyrics of the a piece of paper on the floor and kept messing up.......

BTW I am a huge Ben fan :)
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I like Ben's music but dont think hes that great when he does PJ stuff.
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    I saw Ben Harper, 1st night lolla when Eddie came out and sang Masters of War, but let Ben End the song; I won't say he butchered it because obviously the only reason I was there was to see Eddie; but to finally get to see him play THAT SONG LIVE, it was kinda of like sex with a guy who just can't satisfy you. I'm sure you know what I mean.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    I just posted this in another thread today, the Education w/ Ben Harper one.

personally im not the biggest fan and i think his style doesnt fit with eddies and he butchers the songs they do together.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    BeerBaron wrote:
    At least for once he gave Indifference the night off =)
    ditto
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899

I feel exactly this way, Patrick. I like Ben Harper on his own material.. and it blows my mind that when he joins PJ on stage, inevitably, he sounds like pure shit and as a result, the whole thing becomes shit.

It's a very strange phenomenon.
    Just me
  • Options
    Fury ThreeFury Three Posts: 32
    I don't think his voice complements Ed's at all, and that probably has something to do with it.
  • Options
    Corin Tucker REALLY compliments Eds voice.
    I am sad they are no longer together and if they were opening my 5 shows this time i would really be excited if thats possible.

Long live the Kinney. I miss them.
  • Options
    I am sad they are no longer together and if they were opening my 5 shows this time i would really be excited if thats possible.

oh man shes even worse then Harper !!!!!

like im not a sleater kinney fan but i understand their appeal but she is so bad with eddie except in Hard Sun.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    The best. Only band I have ever seen that is as good as pearl jam. Without the catalog PJ brings to the table. I could never get enough Sleater.
    I am indifferent on Ben. If it makes Ed happy to sing with him then Its OK. But Corin please fly her in for my shows Ed. She could sing on every song and I would be happy.
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545

Not to be a nit-picky ass, but RITFW is not a PJ song... they just cover it...
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    NakedClown wrote:
    Not to be a nit-picky ass, but RITFW is not a PJ song... they just cover it...

And not to be a smart ass back to you. But wow I never knew that. ;)
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I don't like the fact that the guy doesn't have the decency to learn the lyrics to the songs he's gonna perform. During No More he was clearly reading from a piece of paper. During Indifference at MSG 03 he can't remember the first line! You see him step back and go "Uhh, what's the first line?" over his shoulder to Ed who then says, "I will light a match this morning, yeah." Watch the DVD, you'll see it. I think he may do that another time during the same song, can't remember now. But the point is, learn the song! Whenever Ed performs with another band he ALWAYS knows the song perfectly! Be professional about it.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Whenever Ed performs with another band he ALWAYS knows the song perfectly! Be professional about it.

Uhhh...not really. I've seen Ed fuck up more than his share of cover songs.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Uhhh...not really. I've seen Ed fuck up more than his share of cover songs.

Ed fuck up? No way !!! He would never do that , he's a professional !!!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    haaha ed does fuck up

for me it wasn't RITFW, it was NO more he fucked up at lolla.

he was strait up BAD on that one. my buddy claims that masters of war (I wasnt there for it) at lolla was the highlight of the festival, but honestly through the videos and MP3s i've heard, he does butcher it.

i really do not like ben harper with any music but his own. he is very talented and is great performing his music, but his covers just arn't any good IMO
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011

I'd rather see KOL
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    LukinFan wrote:
    I'd rather see KOL
    I second that statement. :)
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I don't like the fact that the guy doesn't have the decency to learn the lyrics to the songs he's gonna perform. During No More he was clearly reading from a piece of paper. During Indifference at MSG 03 he can't remember the first line! You see him step back and go "Uhh, what's the first line?" over his shoulder to Ed who then says, "I will light a match this morning, yeah." Watch the DVD, you'll see it. I think he may do that another time during the same song, can't remember now. But the point is, learn the song! Whenever Ed performs with another band he ALWAYS knows the song perfectly! Be professional about it.

i spotted this in the DVD too. to his defense, he could have been caught off guard and eddie had him come up stage spur of the moment.

it's funny how we pick on ben for not knowing the lyrics, when ed after 15 years still does not know the lyrics to evenflow.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    irieinindy wrote:
    I saw Ben Harper, 1st night lolla when Eddie came out and sang Masters of War, but let Ben End the song; I won't say he butchered it because obviously the only reason I was there was to see Eddie; but to finally get to see him play THAT SONG LIVE, it was kinda of like sex with a guy who just can't satisfy you. I'm sure you know what I mean.
    I thought Ben OWNED that version.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Hey eddie fucked up indifference at Wembley and Katowice last year so don't have ago at Ben!! Eddie wrote the damn thing :D
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Not really a huge Ben Harper fan ... but you guys don't think his contributions to LATG are pretty fucking amazing?

I love his voice and think he sounds great with ed. At least on this particular DVD
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447

I agree in Hard Sun. I also think Jim James voice clashes really well with Eddie in It Maks No Difference.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Not really a huge Ben Harper fan ... but you guys don't think his contributions to LATG are pretty fucking amazing?

Every time I hear Indifference now, I hear his voice. I've been permanently scarred.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Every time I hear Indifference now, I hear his voice. I've been permanently scarred.
    AGREED!!!!!!!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    MattyJoe wrote:

Scarred? I think he sounds awesome in that version.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do