Options

Have you ever been drivin to tears?

LaFoursLaFours Posts: 42
edited May 2008 in The Porch
sorry for that bit of cheese...

So I don't know what initially spurned this topic but, a friend of mine said to me earlier that a colleague of his being a huge Bruce fan, cried at his first Springsteen show(a solo show). I may have cried over certain Bruce solo shows, but for very different reasons....
My reaction at first was disbelief, I know I've video of people weep at shows, but it's always like a Michael Jackson type concert years back.
I don't understand it, having that kind of reaction to a person...as Mick sang it's only rock and roll. I get having a deep connection to music, but to that point it's a bit much.
Then this friend said that many times he has cried listening to a tune on the radio, while watching Into the Wild hearing Ed's voice. He's also reading 5 against 1 and I guess there were accounts of people in the first ten rows crying.
I find it verging on disturbing when I hear someone has an emotional breakdown over a performer/performance. Even when that person is taken from the world(I don't mean to sound callus), I didn't cry for Kurt, I was a huge Nirvana fan, and like alot of kids I was 13 at the time, I felt that musical connection, but that never delved into such an emotional connection that I cried when he died, I was surly saddened that he was gone, leaving behind a young daughter, not getting to see what greatness he would have made in the ensuing years.
So am I the one that's nuts, or is this a common reaction?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    mm..I cried at Lisbon 2 06 during MMJ.. of boredom! (seriously, I did! and that was only the 2nd time I had to bear them!..6 more to go :()

and at PJ Athens 06, because it was the last show of the tour and everyone was going home and I didn't know when I'd be seeing them again (both fans and band)...turned out it was only for less than a year but I didn't know it at the time ;)
    Smile is the song that got me started there: "I miss you already"..oops, here I go..

and yes, I do feel a bit silly about it :o
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    RehabDoll wrote:

So I don't know what initially spurned this topic but, a friend of mine said to me earlier that a colleague of his being a huge Bruce fan, cried at his first Springsteen show(a solo show). I may have cried over certain Bruce solo shows, but for very different reasons....
    My reaction at first was disbelief, I know I've video of people weep at shows, but it's always like a Michael Jackson type concert years back.
    I don't understand it, having that kind of reaction to a person...as Mick sang it's only rock and roll. I get having a deep connection to music, but to that point it's a bit much.
    Then this friend said that many times he has cried listening to a tune on the radio, while watching Into the Wild hearing Ed's voice. He's also reading 5 against 1 and I guess there were accounts of people in the first ten rows crying.
    I find it verging on disturbing when I hear someone has an emotional breakdown over a performer/performance. Even when that person is taken from the world(I don't mean to sound callus), I didn't cry for Kurt, I was a huge Nirvana fan, and like alot of kids I was 13 at the time, I felt that musical connection, but that never delved into such an emotional connection that I cried when he died, I was surly saddened that he was gone, leaving behind a young daughter, not getting to see what greatness he would have made in the ensuing years.

I cry when I feel overwhelmed sometimes. I could be overwhelmed by beauty or emotion, but sometimes I can't help crying.

I wouldn't call it an "emotional breakdown" though! :p:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    RehabDoll wrote:

I cried when PJ started the show in SP. I can understand, i waited for 15 years...Two months after this, i cried again when U2 started their show...But i´m not paremeter, i´m cry-baby...i cry with music, book, poetry, movie, persons..
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
    this board usually makes me weep.
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    When they ban me here I cry.
    WAHHHHHH
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    Alive in seattle night 2 2000 is the most emotional. no tears but mikey gave me the its ok sign.
    VA beach 2000 long road and daughter very emitonal
    there was a bat or something that was coming up and down to the song.

Daughter seattle 2000 Ed almost killed jeff wih the mic stand. Thats the most emotional I've ever aseen him.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,548
    have been driven to tears 3 times, Cleveland and Buffalo/03 and Montreal/05 when "Driven To Tears" was played ;)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Ok I'm going to be the brave one in this thread and admit that YES I've had a song make me cry during a show before, and not just at a Pearl Jam show. I don't cry all the way through a show...there are just a few songs that I have a strong emotional respose to because they remind me of either the loss of someone I loved very much or events in my life that a certain song played a big part in helping me cope with.
    Its not unusual for people to be so moved by a song that it evokes an emotional response. I mean people cry at opera's...why not at a rock show if the song has a special meaning for someone. I don't think its weird or disturbing at all.

For me when it gets disturbing is at like a boy band show were a person is crying from start to finish because their favourite artist is in the same room as them. (ie. see old Beatle clips, Elvis clips, Backstreet Boys, NKOTB from back in the day, etc). I have NEVER EVER cried over an artist themself...only over songs that have a special meaning for me. If you think thats creepy or weird, I really don't care.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i've actually cried at a lot of shows. sometimes it's just being in the moment, hearing a special song by a special artist... i don't know. sometimes songs bring up memories that are emotional for me, and it just overwhelms me at a show.
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Play Release from State College '03 and not well up a little...I dare ya.
  • Options
    Speaking of Release at state college

Thats me yelling stone at the beginning.

Great show best ever been to. Not a tear jerker. Was a party night.
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Hard to be crying in State College...true that. I heard the boot long before I visited.

However, when I did visit I went to the G-man and got shitty then to some other bar, but got tossed before I even got in.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    Gmoney wrote:

This drove me to tears too...great. i wish was there indeed
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'll tell you "Black" has made me tear up especially the 2nd time I saw it live back in 03. Seeing all the couples looking at each other with love in their eyes hand in hand and swaying back and forth as Ed is belting out the words with such intense emotional. From a single point of view it really made me feel jealous but yet I was in awe with what I was seeing around me. Lighters were raised and the whole crowd was doing the "do do do" part of the song at the end. Ed even tagged a "hold on" improv (not sure if it was a pre lost dogs lyric) at the end of the song but he just was like "hold on to, "Hold on to, Hold on" as Boom was playing the piano outro and Mike finishing the solo. Ed Just sounded so emotional, not sure if he was tipsy, but what a powerful vocal delivery.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Pegasus wrote:
    mm..I cried at Lisbon 2 06 during MMJ.. of boredom!
    hahaha you really dont like them? That is funny! :D All i ever hear is how awesome that band is! :eek:

on topic-
    my first time crying at a pearl jam show was the gorge 05 when they played Hard to Imagine. I was moved for a number of reasons.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    Inside Job is a clincher for me. I can hardly handle it. WATERWORKS!!!!!!!!!

I have no shame. I cried at numerous movies. I cried at Finding Neverland for crying out loud (pun INTENDED)

Crying is a release for me just as dancing or singing is. I don't mind it at all and I embrace the musical connection to my tears and my feelings. I like it to be honest.

I look like a moron I am sure, but I close my eyes and sing to the sky when I am am deeply moved in song. I also laugh during the song breaks if a band or artist has really hit me. I give a chuckle and a "FUCK" sometimes. It is just my body reacting to the stimuli that I like.
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    bunch of pussies the lot of you

I never cry at shows. I get the chills and that's it.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    lokiloki Posts: 40
    I took and ex to Hershey and ironicly she broke down during Driven to Tears. I tried to console her but she pushed away. The next day I met my current wife so I am happy that happened.
    6/14/98, 9/4/00, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 7/6/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 8/16/08, 8/17/08
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    i didn't think that i'd cry at a show...but now I've done it three times. first time I heard footsteps, i cried for numerous reasons...then at the EV solo shows i cried during Society-twice! at Santa Barbara it was just beautiful and i love that song. in LA night 1, i don't know what happened, but i heard the first few notes and just cried...something about that song just hits me.

usually i get so happy to hear whatever song that I just laugh!!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln