Options

Liam Finn - Hobit Strikes Toronto

mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
edited May 2008 in The Porch
Was at the gig last night at the El Mocambo - Liam was amazing...played what he called his first ever "all acoustic" set - seems his equipment and most importantly his drum kit didn't make the trip. The lack of the kit had me worried, but Liam pulled it off. Liam seemed to be having a great time and played over an hour. Said it was the most fun he'd had on his tour and he'd see us soon (I know he was asked about future shows in T.O. supporting EV - which is why I am posting on the Porch = and he coyly said "you never know, we'll see you soon") - all and all, I missed the drums, but Liam played tight - nice to hear some of the stuff rearranged for the acoustic too. He busted out Old Man mid set after EJ was confused as to whether she was in Toronto or Ontario and Liam correctly pointed out she was in both, he then quoted Neil Young's verse in Helpless ("there is a town in North Ontario") at which point he seemed to break into Old Man as an audible. Nice to see him in a such an intimate venue - only about 100 people there and room to move around. A few jammers were in the house (easily identified by their stickman ink :)...here's to seeing him again opening for EV solo shows on the east coast! Peace
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    thanks for posting that :)

i didn't even know about this show or i would have checked him out.

OMG I didn't either...I probably woulda gone too.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Royals55Royals55 Posts: 38
    Excellent show
    2005 Thunder Bay,Toronto
    2006 Toronto X 2
    2006 Cleveland, Cincinnati
    2006 Arnhem, Barcelona
    2007 The Vic,Lolla, Chicago
    2008 Bonnaroo,MSG1,MSG2 ,Hartford, Mansfield1
    EV Vancouverx2
  • Options
    Royals17Royals17 Posts: 91
    Liam put on an excellent show last night. Saw him in Vancouver open for Ed and was instantly a fan. I got to El Mocambo early with some friends and while we were waiting we were able to see Liam and EJ walk through the front door. We immediately went up to them and started talking and asked if they were coming back supporting Ed and Liam said yes, while asking if it was common knowledge. We said no, so then he said well in that case we would definitely do it if we were asked(with a big smile). I also asked if he had been playing Old Man because I knew he had covered it before, and he said maybe tonight, but he didn't think he had played it on this tour so we'll see. Well, we were lucky enough to get it and it was amazing. Like I said great show. Oh and I also got them to sign my Sniper program.
    98: Barrie
    00: Nawlins, Saratoga, Tor, Det, Phx
    01: Bridge
    03: Raleigh, Char, Buf, Det x2, Tor, Mont
    05: T-Bay, Kit, Lon, Ham, Tor
    06: Tor x2, Clev, Cin, Arnhem, Honolulu x2
    07: Vic, Lolla, Tor(EV) Body of War
    08: Van(EV) x2, Hart, Bos x2, Tor(EV) x2
    09: Tor
    10: Jazz Fest, Clev, Buf
    11: Det(EV), Tor x2, Ham
    12: FLL(EV)
    13: Pit, Buf, Cal
    14: Det, Den
    15: NYC
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,548
    mjb wrote:
    Was at the gig last night at the El Mocambo (a shithold indeed) - but Liam was amazing...played what he called his first ever "all acoustic" set - seems his equipment and most importantly his drum kit didn't make the trip. The lack of the kit had me worried, but Liam pulled it off. Liam seemed to be having a great time and played over an hour. Said it was the most fun he'd had on his tour and he'd see us soon (I know he was asked about future shows in T.O. supporting EV - which is why I am posting on the Porch = and he coyly said "you never know, we'll see you soon") - all and all, I missed the drums, but Liam played tight - nice to hear some of the stuff rearranged for the acoustic too. He busted out Old Man mid set after EJ was confused as to whether she was in Toronto or Ontario and Liam correctly pointed out she was in both, he then quoted Neil Young's verse in Helpless ("there is a town in North Ontario") at which point he seemed to break into Old Man as an audible. Nice to see him in a such an intimate venue - only about 100 people there and room to move around. A few jammers were in the house (easily identified by their stickman ink :)...here's to seeing him again opening for EV solo shows on the east coast! Peace

i'm convinced that Liam's drum-kit (and his snare drum in Vancouver) is cursed! LOL a really grounded and terrific musician and very approachable guy, i can tell you Liam has confirmed the eV East Coast dates, among other things :)

p.s. the El Mocambo a "shithold indeed"?! i have to disagree, as the "recent" reno work has really brought back some of the appeal and having seen the recent QOTSA gig at the venue as well i enjoyed my surroundings,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Royals17 wrote:
    Liam put on an excellent show last night. Saw him in Vancouver open for Ed and was instantly a fan. I got to El Mocambo early with some friends and while we were waiting we were able to see Liam and EJ walk through the front door. We immediately went up to them and started talking and asked if they were coming back supporting Ed and Liam said yes, while asking if it was common knowledge. We said no, so then he said well in that case we would definitely do it if we were asked(with a big smile). I also asked if he had been playing Old Man because I knew he had covered it before, and he said maybe tonight, but he didn't think he had played it on this tour so we'll see. Well, we were lucky enough to get it and it was amazing. Like I said great show. Oh and I also got them to sign my Sniper program.

Good idea....I was hoping he'd be selling cds to sign like he did in LA - but he mentioned he didn't bring them over the border to avoid paying taxes...Sniper would have been a good call.
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i'm convinced that Liam's drum-kit (and his snare drum in Vancouver) are cursed! LOL a really grounded and terrific musician and very approachable guy, i can tell you Liam has confirmed the eV East Coast dates, among other things :)

p.s. the El Mocambo a "shithold indeed"?! i have to disagree, as the "recent" reno work has really brought back some of the appeal and having seen the recent QOTSA gig at the venue as well i enjoyed my surroundings,...

Fair enuf - I edited my post...it was fine...just a mess an overly intoxicated dude made in bathroom left me a little skeeved out. Also not fantastic when you can hear the music from the show on the 2nd floor.
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i'm convinced that Liam's drum-kit (and his snare drum in Vancouver) are cursed! LOL a really grounded and terrific musician and very approachable guy, i can tell you Liam has confirmed the eV East Coast dates, among other things :)

Aww shit! When did QOTSA play there???? GOODDAMN I woulda loved to have seen them there!
    Fuck you guys gotta start telling us about these shows ahead of time in the other music section haha (don't flame me...I'm just kidding).
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    Fair enuf - I edited my post...it was fine...just a mess an overly intoxicated dude made in bathroom left me a little skeeved out. Also not fantastic when you can hear the music from the show on the 2nd floor.

all good, to each his own. sketchy venues aren't for everyone, but sometimes you have to appreciate the sketchiness for what it's worth hehe

did you get a chance to speak to Liam's tour manager? certain venues have been mentioned/discussed and the itinerary is with Liam's people :D
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    100 Pacer wrote:
    all good, to each his own. sketchy venues aren't for everyone, but sometimes you have to appreciate the sketchiness for what it's worth hehe

did you get a chance to speak to Liam's tour manager? certain venues have been mentioned/discussed and the itinerary is with Liam's people :D
    more info please ;)

In Chicago I didn't even see anyone that looked like Liam's tour manager... I wish I saw that!
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    more info please ;)

In Chicago I didn't even see anyone that looked like Liam's tour manager... I wish I saw that!

i wasn't shown the actual itinerary, as i said it was merely discussed, so even if i had dates to share could i do so in good conscious? what it the dates were changed? ;) cities and venues aren't likely to change so i will say if you thought it was difficult to obtain 10C tix for the eV West Coast dates (mind you, i secured the 10C Vancouver tix rather easily, knock on wood) then you have another thing coming altogether when the 10C pre-sale starts for the eV East Coast dates and i'm already nervous for the concerts i'd like to see :)

• Options
    Aww shit! When did QOTSA play there???? GOODDAMN I woulda loved to have seen them there!
    Fuck you guys gotta start telling us about these shows ahead of time in the other music section haha (don't flame me...I'm just kidding).

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=285140 ;) tried to get us all there together...sorry you missed it.
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=285140 ;) tried to get us all there together...sorry you missed it.

Ahh shit! I was at the cure show the night that was posted, then a friend of mine had her first child the next day so I wasn't on the board much at that time...my own fault. Thank you for trying. I gotta make sure to check there more often.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I was an instant fan after seeing him open for Ed's west coast tour. Bought his cd and love it. I'll go see him anywhere close for sure. So glad to hear he's getting some notice as he's awesome. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    I was an instant fan after seeing him open for Ed's west coast tour. Bought his cd and love it. I'll go see him anywhere close for sure. So glad to hear he's getting some notice as he's awesome. :)

likewise, i found the experience of seeing both Liam and Ed the same night all the more rewarding. if Ed had simply played the show on his own, as thrilling and enjoyable as it would have been, the evening would have lacked the umph that Liam provided to kick-start the festivities,...

• Options
    Royals17Royals17 Posts: 91
    100 Pacer wrote:
    likewise, i found the experience of seeing both Liam and Ed the same night all the more rewarding. if Ed had simply played the show on his own, as thrilling and enjoyable as it would have been, the evening would have lacked the umph that Liam provided to kick-start the festivities,...
    Well said, I agree.
    98: Barrie
    00: Nawlins, Saratoga, Tor, Det, Phx
    01: Bridge
    03: Raleigh, Char, Buf, Det x2, Tor, Mont
    05: T-Bay, Kit, Lon, Ham, Tor
    06: Tor x2, Clev, Cin, Arnhem, Honolulu x2
    07: Vic, Lolla, Tor(EV) Body of War
    08: Van(EV) x2, Hart, Bos x2, Tor(EV) x2
    09: Tor
    10: Jazz Fest, Clev, Buf
    11: Det(EV), Tor x2, Ham
    12: FLL(EV)
    13: Pit, Buf, Cal
    14: Det, Den
    15: NYC
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    $10

money well spent
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    The show was awesome. Unfortunately there weren't many people at the Elmo that night; maybe a hundred or so people tops.

Despite the lack of equipment (Thank Canada Customs for dropping the ball on that one) I think we got a pretty unique acoustic performance.. No disapointments there because Liam and EJ were in top form and adapted the set nicely to the acoustic performance.

There were some PJ fans there to lend their support; mostly well behaved except for the guy who kept shouting out for them to play Society?? which I thought was a really lame ass thing to do. EJ kinda laughed it off stating that "I don't think I could even attempt to try that voice".

My Buddy Ryan and I got to meet Liam and EJ. They were incredibly nice and down to earth. They took some pictures with us and shot the shit at the bar for a little while after the show. I bought both Liam and EJ a beer, and both gave me a big hug :)

EJ said that they were happy to be on tour with Eddie and that he was a really cool guy. She said that they've been getting alot Pearl Jam fans out to the shows since that tour, and that they were very greatful to have their attention. Liam mentioned that they "might be back to Toronto with Eddie sometime in September" which was great to hear. Liam stated that they were "Really Nervous" playing Letterman and that the Sullivan theatre was: "Bloody Cold". Apparently Letterman likes it cold, and thats why the theatre is as cold as it is.

I definately urge anyone who has a chance to go see Liam and EJ play. They are both very talented and I feel lucky to have seen them play and meet them as well.
  • Options
    Nice summary - the Society guy was beside me - EJ said "don't think I could sing that low" - I did find myself secretly hoping Liam would play Throw Your Arms Around Me even though I knew he wouldn't.
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    The show was awesome. Unfortunately there weren't many people at the Elmo that night; maybe a hundred or so people tops.

Despite the lack of equipment (Thank Canada Customs for dropping the ball on that one) I think we got a pretty unique acoustic performance.. No disapointments there because Liam and EJ were in top form and adapted the set nicely to the acoustic performance.

There were some PJ fans there to lend their support; mostly well behaved except for the guy who kept shouting out for them to play Society?? which I thought was a really lame ass thing to do. EJ kinda laughed it off stating that "I don't think I could even attempt to try that voice".

My Buddy Ryan and I got to meet Liam and EJ. They were incredibly nice and down to earth. They took some pictures with us and shot the shit at the bar for a little while after the show. I bought both Liam and EJ a beer, and both gave me a big hug :)

EJ said that they were happy to be on tour with Eddie and that he was a really cool guy. She said that they've been getting alot Pearl Jam fans out to the shows since that tour, and that they were very greatful to have their attention. Liam mentioned that they "might be back to Toronto with Eddie sometime in September" which was great to hear. Liam stated that they were "Really Nervous" playing Letterman and that the Sullivan theatre was: "Bloody Cold". Apparently Letterman likes it cold, and thats why the theatre is as cold as it is.

I definately urge anyone who has a chance to go see Liam and EJ play. They are both very talented and I feel lucky to have seen them play and meet them as well.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Liam mentioned that they "might be back to Toronto with Eddie sometime in September" which was great to hear.

2 nights. Massey Hall. 10C pre-sale clusterfuck. already nervous,.. :D

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    2 nights. Massey Hall. 10C pre-sale clusterfuck. already nervous,.. :D

I knew you'd crack...now spill the dates :)
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Are you hoping for 2 nights or do you have some inside info? :)

"it's an inside job today,..." ;)

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    2 nights...possibly...maybe...a good chance with Eddie Vedder....at Massey Hall in September...is what I think I heard. I was kind of drunk at time on The Demon Canadian Club Whiskey...so there is a good chance that I may have been Hallucinating or possibly even in some way misunderstood Liam's exact words. Either way...I'm keeping the the fingers crossed that what I thought I heard was true.