Options

Do some PJ songs take away from the overall experience?

TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I had a chance to listen to both Vitalogy and Yield straight through today, and a question came to mind...do the random PJ songs that act as interludes add to the listening experience or take away from it?

Overall Vitalogy is a really solid 10-song album, with 4 random songs (Pry To, Bugs, Aye Davanita, Hey Foxymophandlemama That's Me) where the band seems to be messing around.

Yield is somewhat similar with its own random songs (Red Dot, Push Me Pull Me).

Obviously, these albums wouldn't be the same without these songs. But would they be better without them? Imagine if the band took away the 4 random songs from Vitalogy and added 4 b-sides that are actual songs?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I find they take away from the listening experience, but artistically (Some) of them make a statement that fits the album IMO.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    i dunno i really like the random songs, though i could do without bugs :p for me its more that they add to the overall experience that is pearl jam. i like that they can have fun and make whatever kind of music they want. i like that they can be "freaks" and make weird songs like red dot and foxy mop. i just hope they dont get like tool and have like 90 "songs" on their album that's just 1 second nothingness cuz thats just annoying.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I wouldn't put Push Me, Pull Me in that category... if you're gonna do that, you might as well throw in Arc, I'm Open and Bushleaguer.
  • Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    I wouldn't put Push Me, Pull Me in that category... if you're gonna do that, you might as well throw in Arc, I'm Open and Bushleaguer.

Yeah I was gonna put "I'm Open" in that category, but didn't out of fear of getting slammed by people on this board due to how many people love the song and how well it was received on Eddie's recent solo tour. It is in the same vein, though.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Personally, I prefer the albums with those "fillers".
    I can't imagine listening to vitalogy without listening to bugs, etc...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528
    they add to the experience. each album flows in great yet interesting ways...and each album is different. leave them as is for me.
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528
    how could anyone pass on bugs?!!? i love that song! its great loud and singly along! ahhahahahaa
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    triangleman12triangleman12 Posts: 193
    As for the few "filler" songs, on the cd's mentioned . . . that's what the "skip" button is for. I couldn't listen to Bugs, Red Dot, Heyfoxymop on repeat, but I love to hear them every now and then. Heyfoxy came up on my iPod shuffle the other day, I think it's the first time I actually listened to the song with headphones, WOW! It left me with an eery feeling. Musically it's lacking, but artistically it's great! Like the the poster who mentioned singing along with Bugs . . . as long as the "filler" songs make us feel something, I say bring them on. :)
  • Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    I think they let the other songs hsine even brighter without being bad songs.
    Love Bugs Heyfoxy... and Aye Davanita!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    Obviously, these albums wouldn't be the same without these songs. But would they be better without them? Imagine if the band took away the 4 random songs from Vitalogy and added 4 b-sides that are actual songs?

go replace Revolution 9 with Hey Jude while you're at it
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Julien wrote:
    Personally, I prefer the albums with those "fillers".
    I can't imagine listening to vitalogy without listening to bugs, etc...
    Exactly! Gotta have those tracks. All killer, no filler. :cool:
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    I love the tracks personally. :)
    What the fuck is this world?