Options

Here's to hoping...

zootownzootown Posts: 666
edited May 2008 in The Porch
That there is NOT any more shows this year. Let's weed out the folks that are fair-weather fans--I for one don't want to see PJ get any bigger. If they don't tour again until Spring of 09, then Im thinking it could translate to easier times getting tix, more intense crowds and smaller venues. Having watched the Dead get WAY TOO BIG! in the late 80's and early 90's, I hope PJ never ends up on the same trajectory.
I hold the pain, release me!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    Although I don't agree with your wish I doubt it would happen anyway, as far as PJ ending up on the same trajectory as the dead. Young kids don't listen or even know who PJ is at this point. I work in a high school and if I mention PJ i get blank stares and "who??". my little brother is in high school however and he loves them and comes to shows with me. so then again, who knows
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    All it takes for Pearl Jam to become popular among young people again is for them to be played and talked up on MTV.
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    More Pearl Jam shows the better- even if I'm broke.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    It's actually the college crowd that ruined the Dead. The drunken frat boys. I feel Pearl Jam could end up that way. I've seen and heard examples myself at shows. Hope they stay successful on a smaller scale. Is that bad? Sorry.....
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    All it takes for Pearl Jam to become popular among young people again is for them to be played and talked up on MTV.

When? They don't even play music anymore do they?
  • Options
    thecorythecory Posts: 290
    It's actually the college crowd that ruined the Dead. The drunken frat boys. I feel Pearl Jam could end up that way.

wasn't the original pj fan base drunken frat boys?
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    There are a lot of people these days who are into "underground" music but Pearl Jam doesn't really fall under that category anymore so even those people don't hear about them. Their following these days seems to be just a continuation of the mammoth following they amassed back when they were a prominent underground grunge band. What I'm basically trying to say that it's not just because they aren't played on MTV. There are many anti-MTV people who just don't hear about them for whatever reason.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    thecory wrote:
    wasn't the original pj fan base drunken frat boys?

I don't believe so, I think it was angry young folk...like myself for example! I am not so angry anymore. Ok maybe a little.
  • Options
    SilverSeedSilverSeed Posts: 336
    Here's to hoping you get run over by a truck. I want a west coast tour dammit!

Seriously though, how could limiting this tour to the east coast solve ANY fairweather fans issues? Fairweather fans are only going to go to local shows... I don't see how a full blown tour attracts more. Also, the west is their home. If anything, they'll have more "real" fans here then back there. You guys on the other coast sure think pretty highly of yourselves...

Edit: Just saw the OP is in Montana... Now I'm thoroughly confused as to your thought process...
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    nbakyfannbakyfan Posts: 231
    pjpitt89 wrote:
    I work in a high school and if I mention PJ i get blank stares and "who??".
    I'm in high school and they're almost half my iPod. I've gotten a few on my friends into them =D. And there's a couple people who will mention them if you ask them who their favorite bands are.
    06/24/06: Cincy
    06/18/08: Columbia
    08/23/09 & 08/24/2009: Chicago
    05/06/2010: Columus
    05/07/2010: Indy
    05/20/2010 & 05/21/2010: NYC
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    nbakyfan wrote:
    I'm in high school and they're almost half my iPod. I've gotten a few on my friends into them =D. And there's a couple people who will mention them if you ask them who their favorite bands are.

Do you and your friends think of PJ as a classic rock band? Just wondering, thanks.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    Since when are there fair weather music fans? That is such a stupid notion. I know people who go see Pearl Jam every time they come to Camden/Philly. They are casual fans who don't necessarily still buy their albums but they enjoy going to see them. Fair weather fans are sports fans who only give a shit when their team is winning and they jump ship when the team is losing. How does that apply to music?
  • Options
    SilverSeed wrote:
    Here's to hoping you get run over by a truck. I want a west coast tour dammit!

Seriously though, how could limiting this tour to the east coast solve ANY fairweather fans issues? Fairweather fans are only going to go to local shows... I don't see how a full blown tour attracts more. Also, the west is their home. If anything, they'll have more "real" fans here then back there. You guys on the other coast sure think pretty highly of yourselves...

Edit: Just saw the OP is in Montana... Now I'm thoroughly confused as to your thought process...

Believe me, I would love a Missoula show or a Gorge stand, and I remind Jeff everytime I see him :)...but I sometimes feel that incessant touring has a way of marginalizing a band (ala the Dead) and I dont want to have that happen to PJ. Quality over quantity....and Im sorry, but when I see folks on the board who have the means to travel all over the country to see them and are always in the first 10 rows of every show, and predict the setlists, and breakdown every show to the point of what Eddie says and wears and farts, well, it reminds me of the Dead at the end of their career, and it kinda freaks me out! I cant help but think of the how Eddie must feel like Jerry sometimes about his cult following, and it bums me out man! I suspect Ill get laid into for this, but I had to vent.....
  • Options
    Since when are there fair weather music fans? That is such a stupid notion. I know people who go see Pearl Jam every time they come to Camden/Philly. They are casual fans who don't necessarily still buy their albums but they enjoy going to see them. Fair weather fans are sports fans who only give a shit when their team is winning and they jump ship when the team is losing. How does that apply to music?

I dont feel its stupid at all. When I say "fair weather" I mean folks who are only content when PJ plays all over the country every year and they can build their whole year around going to shows. I have seen PJ every time they have played the Gorge or Missoula, but I am not going to travel all over the West every time they tour, even if I had the money to do so. I mean, how much bitching has there been on this board that PJ is not playing more shows this year...it's interesting to note that I have not seen said bitching from people with really high post counts--they know that PJ will come to their neck of the woods eventually and they are patient. "Fair weather fans" are the ones who care more about how many shows they have seen on the last tour or if Eddie looked at them during a song than the actual music.....
  • Options
    SilverSeedSilverSeed Posts: 336
    zootown wrote:
    Believe me, I would love a Missoula show or a Gorge stand, and I remind Jeff everytime I see him :)...but I sometimes feel that incessant touring has a way of marginalizing a band (ala the Dead) and I dont want to have that happen to PJ. Quality over quantity....and Im sorry, but when I see folks on the board who have the means to travel all over the country to see them and are always in the first 10 rows of every show, and predict the setlists, and breakdown every show to the point of what Eddie says and wears and farts, well, it reminds me of the Dead at the end of their career, and it kinda freaks me out! I cant help but think of the how Eddie must feel like Jerry sometimes about his cult following, and it bums me out man! I suspect Ill get laid into for this, but I had to vent.....

Ahh I hear you. And I actually don't hope you get run over...

Sounds like you're angry with the uber serious 'jammers'. Fairweather fans don't follow a band around or have any idea what a setlist might consist of. The freaks here scare me too... Sounds like the only issue here is what type of fan you don't care for.
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    nbakyfannbakyfan Posts: 231
    Do you and your friends think of PJ as a classic rock band? Just wondering, thanks.
    No, not at all. As long as they keep recording albums and holding on to the same members I personally won't think of them as classic rock.
    06/24/06: Cincy
    06/18/08: Columbia
    08/23/09 & 08/24/2009: Chicago
    05/06/2010: Columus
    05/07/2010: Indy
    05/20/2010 & 05/21/2010: NYC
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    That there is NOT any more shows this year. Let's weed out the folks that are fair-weather fans--I for one don't want to see PJ get any bigger. If they don't tour again until Spring of 09, then Im thinking it could translate to easier times getting tix, more intense crowds and smaller venues. Having watched the Dead get WAY TOO BIG! in the late 80's and early 90's, I hope PJ never ends up on the same trajectory.
    I need to be around when they pass out the kool aid at night on here, these ideas get more whacked by the day.

Man I know the drugs arent this good in jersey.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    I think the more shows they play, the better. Personally I got into Pearl Jam in what I believe is a really organic, pretty standard way. A friend of mine knew all the hits plus a few off the cuff ones (Dirty Frank, Green Disease) and was always telling me to give them a listen. So I downloaded State of Love and Trust and was very intrigued. The next day I went out and bought Riot Act at Wal-Mart(trust me, I feel fucking filthy but I was 14 and very ignorant). That was 4, almost 5 years ago and I've been a devoted follower ever since.

My point being, any exposure can lead to pure exposure I guess. You CAN jump on the Jam-wagon(that's awful I know lol) in other ways than watching MTV.

anyway, just my two cents
  • Options
    I need to be around when they pass out the kool aid at night on here, these ideas get more whacked by the day.

Man I know the drugs arent this good in jersey.

You know it, we grow the best kool aid in the country out here! :)
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I'm hoping they play as many shows as possible. I love hitting the road and attending as many shows as many places as possible. For me , the last 8 years, I began roadtripping in 2000, has been the time of my life. The whole experience of travelling the world ( 5 continents so far) ,meeting very dedicated fans with whom I'm now friend or acquaintance , and seeing a different show , with different experience and highlights, 4 to 5 nights a week is more than I could've ever dreamed. GIVE ME MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    zeroenvyzeroenvy Posts: 40

My point being, any exposure can lead to pure exposure I guess. You CAN jump on the Jam-wagon(that's awful I know lol) in other ways than watching MTV.

I agree 100%.

As for shows, there will always be the person that went just to hear evenflow.
    6/27/08!
  • Options
    Blind3 wrote:
    I'm hoping they play as many shows as possible. I love hitting the road and attending as many shows as many places as possible. For me , the last 8 years, I began roadtripping in 2000, has been the time of my life. The whole experience of travelling the world ( 5 continents so far) ,meeting very dedicated fans with whom I'm now friend or acquaintance , and seeing a different show , with different experience and highlights, 4 to 5 nights a week is more than I could've ever dreamed. GIVE ME MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you are not offended...but how do you manage to do this? Endless supply of disposal income? I mean, anyone who could travel the world, seeing their favorite band "4 or 5 times a week" for EIGHT years--no shit its the best time of your life! Do you realize how spoiled you sound???
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    zootown wrote:
    I hope you are not offended...but how do you manage to do this? Endless supply of disposal income? I mean, anyone who could travel the world, seeing their favorite band "4 or 5 times a week" for EIGHT years--no shit its the best time of your life! Do you realize how spoiled you sound???
    the band isn't touring 12 months a year..
    I've been taking 1 month off to do the touring for the last 3 years and plan on continuing to do so for many more :)

It's mostly a choice: I temp so don't have to worry about holiday time (plenty of other reasons too, I've always temped, suits me better).
    I don't have a car, cycle to work, don't spend money on designer clothes, don't eat at the restaurant every week..lots of things like that. most are not even sacrifices, I just don't care about them.

I am lucky of course, I have a personal situation where I can make that choice, some people can't, particularly with families (well, they have a different kind of luck :))
    But plenty could, they just have different priorities..
  • Options
    zeroenvyzeroenvy Posts: 40
    After a whole week's worth of show's and travel expenses, what is the damage? (personal, if you dont want to answer its fine)
    6/27/08!
  • Options
    zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    nbakyfan wrote:
    I'm in high school and they're almost half my iPod.
    Same here, Pearl Jam dominates most of my iPod and its all I really listen to going between classes. The way I see it, those who would like Pearl Jam, will discover them in time, whether it be from a friend, or elsewhere, thats what I did, I found a love for Pearl Jam through a series of Youtube videos, of other bands live, and it eventually led to PJ. But I cant complain, I'm loving it, and I have some friends into it to.
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    Good or you! No one should ever tell you how to live your life or spend your money. Whatever gives you joy!!!!
    Pegasus wrote:
    the band isn't touring 12 months a year..
    I've been taking 1 month off to do the touring for the last 3 years and plan on continuing to do so for many more :)

It's mostly a choice: I temp so don't have to worry about holiday time (plenty of other reasons too, I've always temped, suits me better).
    I don't have a car, cycle to work, don't spend money on designer clothes, don't eat at the restaurant every week..lots of things like that. most are not even sacrifices, I just don't care about them.

I am lucky of course, I have a personal situation where I can make that choice, some people can't, particularly with families (well, they have a different kind of luck :))
    But plenty could, they just have different priorities..
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    What possible good may come from Pearl Jam only playing a few shows?

Think of how many people might be deprived of that joy and adrenaline rush.

The more shows, the better for all.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    The only reason I'll go along with this is that I, admittedly very selfishly, want Mansfield 2 to be the tour closer.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.