Options

old school ticket-buying experiences

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Yes youngfolk, as recently as the 1990s, dedicated rock fans would pack up their folding chairs and sleeping bags and spend the night on the sidewalk outside of Filenes. If one were lucky, this would allow the procurement of a "wrist band" so that 2 days later, he could arrive back at the same sidewalk at 5am instead of 5pm the night before, and piss off everyone who had been there since 5pm the night before as he was royally entitled to cut them in line. Then at 10 am, when the magical doors to Filenes opened, our dedicated rock fan would join the stampede to the back of the 3rd floor children's and intimate apparel department, where a tortoise-like employee would be chit-chatting with coworkers while slightly quicker tortoise-like employees in other locations were booting up the ticket machines and dedicated rock fan considered strangling tortoise-like employee.

then dedicated rock fan would walk home in snow, uphill both ways, with no shoes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Yes youngfolk, as recently as the 1990s, dedicated rock fans would pack up their folding chairs and sleeping bags and spend the night on the sidewalk outside of Filenes. If one were lucky, this would allow the procurement of a "wrist band" so that 2 days later, he could arrive back at the same sidewalk at 5am instead of 5pm the night before, and piss off everyone who had been there since 5pm the night before as he was royally entitled to cut them in line. Then at 10 am, when the magical doors to Filenes opened, our dedicated rock fan would join the stampede to the back of the 3rd floor children's and intimate apparel department, where a tortoise-like employee would be chit-chatting with coworkers while slightly quicker tortoise-like employees in other locations were booting up the ticket machines and dedicated rock fan considered strangling tortoise-like employee.

then dedicated rock fan would walk home in snow, uphill both ways, with no shoes.

Hey, I did this as recently as the early 2000's. Both for STP and Audioslave. Not waiting overnight, but certainly getting up at the crack of dawn and waiting online for hours. And not at a ticketmaster outlet, but at the venue.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    wristbands??? old school is lining up when there were no wristbands....survival of the fittest.....and doing it with a broken leg (joshua tree tour, '87)

:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    wristbands??? old school is lining up when there were no wristbands....survival of the fittest.....and doing it with a broken leg (joshua tree tour, '87)

yeah I just wanted to make the story longer and more complicated :).

definitely did it without wrist bands at times, but if you did get a wrist band, it meant sleeping out in *2* lines.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

hahahahaa wristbands were also an invitation to crack the back of a younger weaker fan and snag their wristband...Orange trumps Green!!!
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Come on, old skool was getting a bus at 6 am, six months before the concert!! To travel 50 miles, and get in a line for tickets. Where you waited 3 hours for the box office to open, 2 hours for the lady to process the tix for the 100 people in front of you, then collect £4.50 cash from each of your pals, to hand over in exchange for the most awesome, incredible piece of paper you ever held in your hands, a ticket for Iron Maiden, World Slavery Tour 1984.
    A real coming of age experience, and a lot less terrifying than the next one was to be :eek:
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Remember mailing in your 10 Club ticket requests back in 2003???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    You have to see Rock N Roll High School's version of scoring Ramone tickets.
    Folding lawn chair. Bottle milk delivery. And an Indian/Scalper! he he.
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329

Did that for PJ a couple of times along with Godsmack once with the worst hangover possible. Worth it for that show. 2nd row on the left hand side of the stage at the Tweeter.

I miss that outlet in Macy's.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:

hahaha I was so STRESSED!!!!! you had to have separate envelopes for each show (I was going to 7), I was organizing them for 2 different fan club numbers, and you have to buy separate money orders for each one! Of course I could only do this on a saturday, so the post office was packed...it was madness!
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    hahaha I was so STRESSED!!!!! you had to have separate envelopes for each show (I was going to 7), I was organizing them for 2 different fan club numbers, and you have to buy separate money orders for each one! Of course I could only do this on a saturday, so the post office was packed...it was madness!

i remember. it seemed like a hassle and i only ordered one show. i would have screwed up something if i ordered as many as you ordered.
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I never waited for a wristband, but I remember having to go to the mall to get tickets, at the little booth--it was called something else, before there was Ticketmaster? I can't remember what it was called.?
    Does anybody remember that? (from NY?)

And I remember when concerts were like $20! And movies were $2.50 during the day! :eek:

I sound like the 'old folks' now.. 'back in my day....'
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    One day, you'll all be fighting to get into one of my gigs like that.

:D
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    hehe, I remember back in 98 mailing off a ticket request in like April for a show that wasn't until July and then waiting waiting and waiting to find out if I got the tickets! That was my first show so I was mega-stressed about it!
  • Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    tybird wrote:
    I had to lie to get my student loan money early so I could next day mail my Missoula and MSG2 requests.Damn, those were the good old days. And for my first PJ ticket concert,I waited in line at the West Seattle Easy Street in 93.........
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    oh yea,this is for those of you who went to the Key Arena show in 96.The people on the West Coast crashed the phone lines(I managed to get dressed for work,while continually hitting re-dial).I still managed to get a ticket to that show.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    At 16, I snuck out in the middle of the night, drove about an hour with a friend to camp out the rest of the night to get 10th row floor seats for Poison and Ratt.

They canceled the show a couple of weeks later.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I got through for the merriweather post pavilion show on the No Code tour. Then I couldnt get back into the website to claim the seats.

That whole phone thing sucked.

In 98 was in line at Ukrop's (Grocery store) to score seats for the Va Beach show. Had the back of the seated section despite being there at 12. You really needed an experienced person to get you good seats.

(Ticketron was an old ticket outlet I remember)
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    I
    (Ticketron was an old ticket outlet I remember)

I think it still exists but it mostly does like theater tickets?
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Tickettron was gobbled up by Ticketmaster in the early 90's.
    Jw
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    wow, that's old-school. i remember when they had a booth in penn station in the 1980s.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Oh fine, online sales ain't that bad after all :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Oh fine, online sales ain't that bad after all :)

I am not sure which is worse....the 5-50 minutes of heart racing, palm sweating click click click of the web sales or the long drawn out not knowing of the old school mail-in system

....the only option that doesn't suck is the one where I get a personal call from the boys saying "you are such a great fan, we are gonna hook you up with front row center tickets for life"
  • Options
    The StugotsThe Stugots Posts: 306
    I remember when they came up with the concept of line tickets (probably late '80s early '90s). If a concert was set to go onsale on a Saturday, you show up at a participating ticket outlet sometime during that week to claim your line ticket number. Let's say 100 tickets were given out, numbered 1-100. At 945 AM they pick a random number, and that person got first crack at tickets, followed by the next number, all the way to 100, then back to 1. If #45 was picked, #44 is pretty screwed.
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I remember when they came up with the concept of line tickets (probably late '80s early '90s). If a concert was set to go onsale on a Saturday, you show up at a participating ticket outlet sometime during that week to claim your line ticket number. Let's say 100 tickets were given out, numbered 1-100. At 945 AM they pick a random number, and that person got first crack at tickets, followed by the next number, all the way to 100, then back to 1. If #45 was picked, #44 is pretty screwed.

Yeah the Yankees did that with playoff tickets for the regular public sale starting in '98 . I had pretty good luck with it except for the '99 ALCS but still got LF bleachers.
    Jw
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229

I remember trying to game that system. My friends and I would go up and get a ticket at different times to try to ensure that our numbers would be spread out. Then one day the ticket guy picked my number to be first in line for a Rage Against the Machine Show. It was great, particularly when a bunch of people who were there came up to me and offered a great deal of money to also buy seats for them (the ticket limit was 20 or something ridiculous like that).
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,874
    its threads like these that make me realize how much of a PJ noob I am.

the tickets i bought were off of ebay.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    This one experience I want to share isn't as old skool as some of your stories, but the outcome was awesome..

1994, drove about 2.5 hours to the Fillmore in S.F. to get in line for a ticket lottery to see Eric Clapton. Myself and one friend split up to increase our chances as they were doing blocks of 50 people at a time for tickets. As it turned out, we were both in blocks that were called.. limit was two per person, so we ended up with four and got to bring a couple friends. Tickets cost 27.50 each and were only available at the venue. They limited it to something like 500 people and encouraged people to smoke (weird, huh?) because they were filming and wanted a certain ambiance (a small smoky venue). I never did hear of a video put out from that show, but that's ok with me because I was there! YAY! The show took place some months later on November 8th, 1994.

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    How about calling an 1-800 number in '95/'96 for PJ tickets?

Or remember when we mailed 3x5 cards to Ten Club with a money order enclosed?

Those were the days!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    Yeah I remember for that '96 tour I had to call the 800 number and then had to pick the tix up at Yankee Stadium, those tix looked really cool. I wish I still had the stubs.
    I did the mail order 10c tix.
    Does anyone remember if they were guaranteed, I got the tickets I sent out for but what if they weren't available, did they send your money order back ?
    Always curious about that.
  • Options
    2 gallons of jungle juice + a backpack + a thirsty line + 10 pizzas from the pizza place I worked at = front row ben folds tickets at Illinois State University
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06