Options

Google Earth - Grant Park Chicago

vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Looks like the current aerial photography over chicago in google earth was taken during lollapalooza...possibly/probably last year. check it out and see where you staked your claim during the pearl jam set last august! Find clues to prove or disprove me!
AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think I can see someone smoking a joint!
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    you're right, now the question is what day/time was it taken ;)
  • Options
    Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274
    Why I can't see it, what do you write in the box??? Grant Park Chicago???

There is no concert place on my screen ??
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    It definitely was taken last year because I can tell by looking at some of the other buildings that were under construction at the time, especially the Trump Tower. I'm an architect and I work downtown Chicago so I take notice of these things and that photo was definitely last year!

I don't have a clue which day it was though...
  • Options
    pulaskipulaski Posts: 259
    I thought I saw Ben Harper on stage to I started the Google Earth flight simulator and did a kamikaze mission, dive bombing directly in the center of the stage.

somehow he still lives on
  • Options
    Why I can't see it, what do you write in the box??? Grant Park Chicago???

There is no concert place on my screen ??

Try clicking here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1171+s+columbus,+chicago,+il&sll=41.872165,-87.615967&sspn=0.006647,0.015149&safe=active&ie=UTF8&ll=41.870983,-87.617598&spn=0.006647,0.015149&t=h&z=16
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    It may not be the day of the PJ show...

Because on that Sunday (the day PJ played), I stayed in the same area ALL day and night.

Where?

In the security area right behind the first block of the crowd on the right side.

I wore black Vic t-shirt and an umbrella (it was either pink or orange/pink, I can't remember) to keep myself from the heat.

I could have stood out easily but I don't see myself there but only the security people (two on the right, one on the left).

I think that could have been Saturday?
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    that's very cool!
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    I think this photography is at least a couple years old...

I scrolled over to Toronto and our new soccer stadium, BMO Field, which was completed last spring, hasn't even begun construction and is still a parking lot...plus the new crystal edition to our museum (the ROM) which was completed last fall is still under construction...
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    I think this photography is at least a couple years old...

I scrolled over to Toronto and our new soccer stadium, BMO Field, which was completed last spring, hasn't even begun construction and is still a parking lot...plus the new crystal edition to our museum (the ROM) which was completed last fall is still under construction...

There wasn't one major flyover of the entire world. Google Earth/Maps is a composite of aerial photography done by different firms at different times. They may not have had new aerial photography done in Toronto and submitted for years. As an example, not too long ago you couldn't make anything out in Milwaukee because the photography was old. When you zoomed in, everything was blurry and pixelated. But they had newer photography done and now it's clear.

In fact, this area until very recently showed Solider Field under construction. Now, as you can see, Soldier Field is complete.
  • Options
    RWChicagoRWChicago Posts: 10
    The vast majority of Google streetview pics of Chicago were taken in 2007 (if you zoom in to the max setting you can see the faint 2007 watermark, however it doesn't show up on most of the satellite pics I've seen).

The overhead pics were also taken in 07, obviously in this one you can actually see the Lolla sign (and its shadow): http://tinyurl.com/6n6slg . . . yep here's the same Lolla sign in my personal pics: http://tinyurl.com/6oab89

If you want to see something really cool check out the almost 5000 geotagged pics on Flickr from Lolla: http://tinyurl.com/4zfyff

If you want to see something not cool, go look in your own neighborhood like I did http://tinyurl.com/4oetwt (yep that's my Honda. . .maybe you've seen it at PJ show?).

ps - I have car and willingness + ability to drive (and a non scary personality!) to any shows in June. . if you have extras PM me or my email is at bottom of my site http://www.elvis-in-vegas.com/blog
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    6/8/2006? That's the date of the image according to Digital Globe (there's a plugin for google earth that dates when the images were taken).
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball