Options

Question about solo shows

yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
edited July 2008 in The Porch
This may be a dumb question, but I haven't found any answer to this in any threads yet, and I was just curious what I'm gonna be in for before I go.

For these shows are most people standing or sitting?

What was it like on the West Coast tour?
you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    not that i was there but everything I've heard is you sit for most of the show,don't sing along and just chill and watch Ed do his thing (till one of the final encores where i guess he may bust out a few you can stand and rock to)
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    yosi wrote:
    This may be a dumb question, but I haven't found any answer to this in any threads yet, and I was just curious what I'm gonna be in for before I go.

For these shows are most people standing or sitting?

What was it like on the West Coast tour?

You're sitting for most of the show. It's different vibe then PJ shows, but really cool. You only stand really for Hard Sun at the end.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Its gonna ba an adjustment tomorrow night for me to sit through the show.
    Had difficulty sitting through the 7/11/03 preset even though Ed told us to sit cause there wasn't gonna be an acoustic version of "Blood".
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Its gonna ba an adjustment tomorrow night for me to sit through the show.
    Had difficulty sitting through the 7/11/03 preset even though Ed told us to sit cause there wasn't gonna be an acoustic version of "Blood".

it's not like he will be playing any fast PJ songs and the ITTW songs just aren't stand up and bob your head,pump your fist,jump up and down type of songs!(IMO)

smoke a blunt before you go in and relax :)
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    Where were most of the fan club seats located for the west coast?
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    it's not like he will be playing any fast PJ songs and the ITTW songs just aren't stand up and bob your head,pump your fist,jump up and down type of songs!(IMO)

Even if the songs aren't fast or "rockin", I just have a hard time sitting at concerts.

Oh well, at least I'll have time to prepare myself to sit.
  • Options

smoke a blunt before you go in and relax :)
    Do you sit down when Ed comes out for the encore ata PJ show and sings "Soon Forget' or "No More" or something similar while Mike, Jeff and Stone are still backstage scoffing down veal (so Ed can't see)...I don't...just gonna feel weird sitting at a concert.

No blunt for me thanks.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,934
    what i'm gonna do is this. if i get front row tickets next month, and i'm sitting like right in from of Ed, i'm just gonna stand the whole time. block everybody behind me. and if Ed tells me to seat down ... it's going down brother!!!!

lol. j/k.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    what i'm gonna do is this. if i get front row tickets next month, and i'm sitting like right in from of Ed, i'm just gonna stand the whole time. block everybody behind me. and if Ed tells me to seat down ... it's going down brother!!!!

lol. j/k.

That's pretty much why I asked this question. I'm worried (well, not worried really) that I'll get first row tickets and be that one guy who's standing while everyone else is sitting (it wouldn't be the first time). And that is just kind of uncomfortable.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    That's pretty much why I asked this question. I'm worried (well, not worried really) that I'll get first row tickets and be that one guy who's standing while everyone else is sitting (it wouldn't be the first time). And that is just kind of uncomfortable.
    That happened to me before, got front row seats for a show, the middle of 3 bands came out, who I liked, but they were well past their prime and obviously not the draw for folks, and I stood up, and nobody else did, even my wife was in limbo, not sure if she should stand or sit cause everyone else was sitting...I remained standing, and others joined me as time went on.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

Ed will tell the crowd many times during the set to sit down. I was at the Santa Barbara & LA1 show's he did.

Which show's are you attending? If it's any Montreal & Toronto show & we are both in front, let's just stand together. If the crowd get's rowdy, then we'll have to start a crowd surf or something. lol.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    That happened to me before, got front row seats for a show, the middle of 3 bands came out, who I liked, but they were well past their prime and obviously not the draw for folks, and I stood up, and nobody else did, even my wife was in limbo, not sure if she should stand or sit cause everyone else was sitting...I remained standing, and others joined me as time went on.

I had 4th row tickets to Ben Folds at the Beacon and me and my girl friend were standing and dancing but everyone else was sitting except like 8 other people on the entire floor. We were actually asked to sit by others. Of course I turned around and told everyone, "stand up, its a rock concert." They then proceeded to tell security and we were told to sit down. It was very lame.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Ed will tell the crowd many times during the set to sit down. I was at the Santa Barbara & LA1 show's he did.

Which show's are you attending? If it's any Montreal & Toronto show & we are both in front, let's just stand together. If the crowd get's rowdy, then we'll have to start a crowd surf or something. lol.

Ha, I wish. Can you imagine, Ed saying "please sit down" and standing in the front row and just shouting back "fuck you Ed!"

Too bad I'll be seeing him in NYC. It could have been fun.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Ha, I wish. Can you imagine, Ed saying "please sit down" and standing in the front row and just shouting back "fuck you Ed!"

Too bad I'll be seeing him in NYC. It could have been fun.

then i'm flying into nyc. see what ed would do if we did it. ha.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    then i'm flying into nyc. see what ed would do if we did it. ha.

Ha. Sweet. Maybe he'll be like "fuck this!" and bust into some hard rocking songs.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I had 4th row tickets to Ben Folds at the Beacon and me and my girl friend were standing and dancing but everyone else was sitting except like 8 other people on the entire floor. We were actually asked to sit by others. Of course I turned around and told everyone, "stand up, its a rock concert." They then proceeded to tell security and we were told to sit down. It was very lame.
    Had a similar incident for Paul McCartney years ago, wife and I were standing (had seats in the loge side stage), a few songs in, a guy taps me on the shoulder, he was a few rows behind us and said "can you sit down, I can't see"...my response was "are you shitting me?"
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Had a similar incident for Paul McCartney years ago, wife and I were standing (had seats in the loge side stage), a few songs in, a guy taps me on the shoulder, he was a few rows behind us and said "can you sit down, I can't see"...my response was "are you shitting me?"

Happened to me in a similar location for Simon and Garfunkel a few years ago.

If you're too old to let others stand and enjoy themselves, you're too old to be there.
  • Options
    certain music just doesn't necessitate standing. don't get me wrong cause i never sit at a PJ show unless it's one of the few songs i don't care for t hen i sit and fire me up some smoke.

i am actually going to enjoy the change of pace and being able to listen to Ed without 20,000 people singing along.some times i just want to hear the music in a purer form.

to each his own i guess! but if 99% of the people are sitting and there is some asshole standing in front of me blocking my view it could get ugly! :D
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Dancers and standers be warned...Ed will actually tell you to sit the hell down - he went to lengths on the west coast to ask everyone to be quiet and respectful through the main set. He'll cue you when he is looking for participation (Hide Your Love Away, No More) and the place will just spontaneously start to rock out for Porch, Lukin and Hard Sun (and for any special numbers, i.e. Watchtower that I was fortunate enough to witness at LA2) BUT otherwise it WILL be a chill night like it or not.
  • Options
    not that i was there but everything I've heard is you sit for most of the show,don't sing along and just chill and watch Ed do his thing (till one of the final encores where i guess he may bust out a few you can stand and rock to)

Sounds like an Uncle Neil show I attended in MSG.
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    certain music just doesn't necessitate standing. don't get me wrong cause i never sit at a PJ show unless it's one of the few songs i don't care for t hen i sit and fire me up some smoke.

Well, when I'm at a concert, I just don't feel right sitting.