Options

March 24th In To The Wild Showing in Seattle

tanferanitanferani Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in The Porch
That is how it was billed. Sweet huh?

Eddie Apologized to us all for having to lie. Kenyon Hall is a VERY small venue. It is an old grange hall from the 20's. It claim to fame is a huge Wurlitzer. Has lights all strung up a movie playing on a big projection string, free beverages, about 100 folding chairs set up taking up about a third of the space. Up front a small stage, with amps, guitars, a leather stool and these little suitcases set up to be folding music holders. So they kept is very secret, to protect the 80 year old building. The only way this show could of been anymore intimate is if it were in his living room.

I got lucky and sat inthe second row center. This seat is less than 10 feet from the stool on the stage. By now the gig is up we can tell Eddie will show bercuase fo the posters being sold and the set up. A little much for a viewing of the into the wild movie.

Easy Street Records in West Seattle, the only place you can get break fast and check out music and purchase all in one Easy stop, anyways he is celebrating 20 years of buisness and happens to know Eddie. They sold Tickets to the In To The Wild viewing. Just a little sign onthe counter. Does not really matter I had this info.

So, in comes Eddies wife and the place is packed and pretty quite. Everybody is seated and I see Eddie come in and hide behing the speaker. The owner of Easy Street records introduces Eddie, to Eddie's embarassment and Eddie began to flick guitar picks at him. Soon after Eddie takes the stage.
He sits greets us but gets right to it.

He played, the banjo, ukelele, mandoline, a variety of guitars with all new stickers and logos. There was even a corona box holding up one of the stage sheets.

He was very shy up on stage but it was a very mellow feeling he told some pretty funny stories and really seemed like he wanted to do so much up there but really did not know how. He even asked if there we any questions from the crowd and other than my comment, nothin. It was like we were in such awe and the place was so small we might make Eddie uncomfortable.

He was asked what he thinks of Obama and he replied, " I do not like to speak about politics in front of people." You saw the poster right? Pretty funny. I have seen some good shows but this was one as a fan you want to go to. After the show you felt like you just hung out with an old friend and he just thanked you with his music.

There is much more to be said about this show but it would take way to long. The tickets were five bucks and all proceeds went to charity. Eddie has made a connection with an Iraq war Vet that has come home with less than half of his body. Eddie wanted to donate the entire West coast tour but he said, " I was fianancially advised against it. And the accountants asked why he was fighting them since they were looking after his best interest. So I got to do these two shows for 5 bucks. We'll show them!"

I saw a video on myspace that some one took of the show, the song is far behind. Eddie had us all sing Tom Petty's Wont back Down with him. I am definetly getting my poster, pic and ticket framed.

I am done typing. I never post but had to give some info this was pretty special and if you are in any cities he is playing take a look around iyou know it is an April Fools Tour!
Rob Tan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    thanks for sharing. what a night :)
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    Yes, sey!
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 367
    Sounds so awesome, thanks for sharing. That vid is great! :)
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    SylSyl Posts: 149
    Your experience is GREAT, what a dream.
  • Options
    Rapunzel64Rapunzel64 Posts: 129
    I know it must have been great. I can only imagine....
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160
    where is the video?
    thanks for the story !
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    mnarob3mnarob3 Posts: 235
    thank you
    *~~bologna 14.9.2006~~*~~vienna 25.9.2006~~*~~zagreb 26.9.2006~~
    *~~munich 12.6.2007~~*~~chorzow 13.6.2007~~*
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    tanferani wrote:
    if you are in any cities he is playing take a look around iyou know it is an April Fools Tour!

great story, not sure i understand what you're getting at though
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    kitkatkitkat Posts: 31
    thanks for sharing. I am so excited to see him in Santa Cruz!!!!
    Lollapalooza 1992
    San Jose 1993
    Fresno 2000
    Las Vegas 2006
    Santa Cruz - E.V. 2008
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Thanks for sharing your story. It is fun hearing the reports. I'm sure it was unforgettable.
    tanferani wrote:
    There is much more to be said about this show but it would take way to long.

I have all day. :)
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Good write up!

What an amazing night!
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Awesome! Thanks for the review of the 1st show.

I was at the 2nd show and was let in after the show started for free because we were without ticket. Did anyone line up outside of the first show like we did for the second show? Was anyone let in after the start of the first show?
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Thanks so much for sharing!

Sounds like a dream.
  • Options
    The fist night it was really quiet. People were just mingling and they all eventually filtered in and took thier seats. I walked outside after using the bathroom and the doors were open and nobody outside. This was about half way thru. There were some passer byers who stumbled upon the show and they let them in.

In the 2nd show did the crowd talk much or was it as like the first show? I heard he played the harmonica in the 2nd show? Did he pull one warm Corona out of his suitcase? He left right after the show for us, did he stick around for you guys?

By the way people Kenyon Hall is right in the middle of all these residential houses. As I walked in I could see people watching TV in thier house, crazy!
    Rob Tan
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    tanferani wrote:
    The fist night it was really quiet. People were just mingling and they all eventually filtered in and took thier seats. I walked outside after using the bathroom and the doors were open and nobody outside. This was about half way thru. There were some passer byers who stumbled upon the show and they let them in.

In the 2nd show did the crowd talk much or was it as like the first show? I heard he played the harmonica in the 2nd show? Did he pull one warm Corona out of his suitcase? He left right after the show for us, did he stick around for you guys?

By the way people Kenyon Hall is right in the middle of all these residential houses. As I walked in I could see people watching TV in thier house, crazy!
    Yeah, the crowd was real quiet for the 2nd show too. Yep, he pulled a Corona out of his suitcase for himself and a 2nd one for a guy who was dead-center in the first row. Ed said that he bought the Golden Circle ticket for $6 and that it came with a beer. And yep on the harmonica. He played Hide Your Love Away and another one with it. Though I hear you saw him play a banjo? That's cool too!! :D

Yeah, crazy that this was just in a residential neighborhood...
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QYdnJ0MpG2U

Thanks for the story, original poster man!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    rrivers wrote:

thanks for sharing
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    rrivers wrote:

sweet! sounds terrific,...bring on Vancouver :D
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore