Options

Tickets for locals!

gotchagotcha Posts: 56
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Does anyone remember when there were more strict rules on ticket purchasing through the 10 Club? I kinda wish they'd go back to those days. I especially like the rule about restricting purchases to fans that live in or around the city of the show. There's nothing worse than being shut out of a show in your hometown, only to have fans from other areas traveling in (and to many shows) and getting the tickets! I understand that this tour hits a limited amount of markets, so this rule would only benefit few but I still support it. And I say this all while I worry about the Toronto sale tomorrow afternoon. Good luck to me, and to everyone. With Massey's capacity being what? About 2500? If 10C has 10% of the tickets that's 250 pairs or only 125 lucky ones per show. Big sigh.
"uncanny and immutable"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    the capacity of the boston opera hosue is also 2500 i just looked it up
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    people said this about the Vic show last year. still, nothing changed. good luck.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm sure the folks at the 10C are sick of hearing about ways they could make the system work better for all. :)
    "uncanny and immutable"
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I kinda like the idea but it does suck for someone living in like Colorado, Nebraska, etc. So I think every 10c member should be able to pick their "priority" show and they are given first chance at tickets. That way, locals can get tickets to their hometown, but people living far away can still see a show if they want.
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    yeah i like the way it is now gives us a chance to meet more people from different parts of the country and other parts of the world
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Not fair to those who have to travel, really travel, to see a show.

But, if they do go with something other than normal ticketing procedures the only thing they should consider is one pair of ten club tickets per fan to one show. Even that is burning some of the travelers but not as much as the "locals" only. And this only applies to the EV shows, def not at a PJ show.
  • Options
    One thing that would help improve the locals chances would be to make all the shows available at the same time.
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    I understand where you are coming from, but I kinda like the fact that I can go see any show I want and have a chance to get ten club tickets. And truthfully, because of my locale NYC, always have better luck getting the surrounding areas. I mean even if they were to change it to local area only I would most likely get shut out of all the tri state area shows and then what would I do? There are plus and minus to every senerio.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    JckTorance
    Ghost Join Date: Mar 2006

"One thing that would help improve the locals chances would be to make all the shows available at the same time. "

that's a great idea. (red rum)
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    JckTorance wrote:
    One thing that would help improve the locals chances would be to make all the shows available at the same time.

The website would crash if they did that.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    _outlaw wrote:
    people said this about the Vic show last year. still, nothing changed. good luck.
    Yup, I live within walking distance of The Vic and I got shut out. It sucks, but with the limited number of shows I can see how it wouldn't be fair.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    JDfromDEJDfromDE Posts: 60
    I'm from Delaware. When PJ comes around I have the ability to see them in DC, Philly/Camden, Central/Northern Jersey and New York all with less than a 3 hour drive. If for some reason I wanted to only go to one show, the ability to pick from any one of those towns allows me to pick a show that's convenient for me to go to. It typically gives me about a week in the calendar to find a show I can get to. If this were to happen and I can't get off work for a Philly show (which would be the closest to me), I'm screwed.

I haven't paid a membership fee for years on end in order to have my options limited. The Ten Club has done a very good job in my opinion, their biggest problem is that too many people expect to much from them. The system works well.

Restricting ticket sales to people based on their locale is a very stupid idea.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 8/2/07, 6/14/08, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 8/16/08
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    gotcha wrote:
    Does anyone remember when there were more strict rules on ticket purchasing through the 10 Club? I kinda wish they'd go back to those days. I especially like the rule about restricting purchases to fans that live in or around the city of the show. There's nothing worse than being shut out of a show in your hometown, only to have fans from other areas traveling in (and to many shows) and getting the tickets! I understand that this tour hits a limited amount of markets, so this rule would only benefit few but I still support it. And I say this all while I worry about the Toronto sale tomorrow afternoon. Good luck to me, and to everyone. With Massey's capacity being what? About 2500? If 10C has 10% of the tickets that's 250 pairs or only 125 lucky ones per show. Big sigh.

I have to say I agree. How I see it, by paying the membership dues that includes getting the opportunity for 1st dibs for tics for when they play in your neck of the woods. I know a lot of people look at it differently though. Just my opinion :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    hinxhinx Posts: 414
    JDfromDE wrote:
    I'm from Delaware. When PJ comes around I have the ability to see them in DC, Philly/Camden, Central/Northern Jersey and New York all with less than a 3 hour drive.

One of the few good things about living here eh?
  • Options
    hinx wrote:
    One of the few good things about living here eh?
    the VERY FEW good things ;)
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 8/2/07, 6/14/08, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 8/16/08
  • Options
    Other than the dude who called my idea stupid (how did you get along in school?) you all have some good suggestions. I'm just thinking of that one fan who can't afford to travel around to see PJ, but there's a show close to them, and they don't get the ticket, but someone who is seeing 10 other shows on the tour managed to get one. You know, that sucks. I've used 10C to get tickets to the Gorge and MSG, so I appreciate the flexibility, I just think a more fair system could be worked out. I guess it's just the flip side of liking a band that has a huge fan base - you may not get in to the show.

I find it amusing that I'm here saying "more restrictions! more rules!" :)
    "uncanny and immutable"
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Or maybe we could have a talent show and Ed could pick the best of the best and only those people were allowed tix.
    :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    There have never been any restrictions about buying tickets based on where you live. There were a few special shows where people who lived in certain zip codes and had low numbers were invited to purchase by e-mail. It used to be we could only buy two tickets for one show during the tour. This was like in 1995.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Or maybe we could have a talent show and Ed could pick the best of the best and only those people were allowed tix.
    :)

lol..well I would be def. not get tics. :p
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    libragirl wrote:
    lol..well I would be def. not get tics. :p
    Or maybe you have a really cool talent that catches Ed's eye.
    Like, I dunno...being good at the egg relay or something.
    Don't give up hope! :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Honestly I think that if you are willing to travel to see a show then you should have the same shot at the tickets as the locals do. And, like someone else said, I have met ppl from all over the world b/c they don't restrict the tickets.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Or maybe you have a really cool talent that catches Ed's eye.
    Like, I dunno...being good at the egg relay or something.
    Don't give up hope! :p

let's hope it never comes to that! :p
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Massey Hall has a capacity of 2,753.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    gotcha wrote:
    Other than the dude who called my idea stupid (how did you get along in school?)
    Well, to start with, I got along fine in school, thanks.
    Secondly, you're idea doesn't fix the problem of getting shut out of shows, it ends up shutting out more people. So it's not like my original comment was without merit. It's a bad idea.

You say you're thinking about "that one fan who can't afford to travel around to see PJ, but there's a show close to them, and they don't get the ticket". Well if you're talking about a full band show in an arena or ampitheater, I'd like to meet that ONE fan, because the way the system is set up now, between the Ten Club and Ticketmaster it's very unlikely there's more than one of them.

If you're talking about these small/intimate shows where the venue capacity is less than 3,000 in cities like Washington or Boston and under 4,000 in New York and Chicago, it doesn't matter where you live, you're delusional if you EXPECT to get tickets in the first place.

The system is set up now so that the only restriction for people trying to buy tickets are self-imposed. Everyone has the same shot at getting a ticket to one show: 1 in however many total tickets are available in all of the venues. If you can't afford to travel, or go to a different show, that's not the Ten Club's fault, and it's not their responsibility to fix it.

That being said, the only people whose complaints find any sympathy with me are those who live in the south where the band hasn't come around in 5 years. That's still not the Ten Club or the system's fault, regardless though if this idea of restricting tickets to people who are local to the show actually got off the ground, those people would NEVER get to see a show.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    JDfromDE wrote:
    That being said, the only people whose complaints find any sympathy with me are those who live in the south where the band hasn't come around in 5 years. That's still not the Ten Club or the system's fault, regardless though if this idea of restricting tickets to people who are local to the show actually got off the ground, those people would NEVER get to see a show.

I agree with you 100%. I have no problem traveling to go to shows but I don't think the people that actually get to go to a local show should complain about having to compete with others for tickets. These are the same people that say we shouldn't complain about them not coming to the south. Go figure.