Options

Metro Into MSG?

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited June 2008 in The Porch
So, I've never really been into New York City. And I'll be going the night of June 25 for the concert. Can anyone help me out with some questions that I have?

I've heard never take my car into the city. It's a little late to take the train (price has gone up too much) - so I'm looking to leave my car otuside the city and take the train / metro into the city. Is this a good idea? If so, where is a safe place to leave my car and take the metro in?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    depends on where you are coming in from. if its anywhere in CT, catch the Metro north lines from Milford, danbury or any stop along the route. its not too pricey.
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm north of Pittsburgh - so I'd be taking 80 in.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    You could leave your car in Jersey City and take the PATH Train over - you get off at the last stop at 33rd street and it is very close to MSG. Parking won't be cheap - its like $20 to $25 a day, and it turns over at something like 2am, which is a pain, but at least you don't have to drive in the city. You could also park in Weehawken and take NY waterways ferry. The parking is cheaper, the ferry is around $7-8 one way. (Path train is $1.75 1 way) Anyway, some ideas. Just google Path or NY waterways to read up on how to do it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JPRJPR Posts: 20
    drew0 wrote:
    So, I've never really been into New York City. And I'll be going the night of June 25 for the concert. Can anyone help me out with some questions that I have?

I've heard never take my car into the city. It's a little late to take the train (price has gone up too much) - so I'm looking to leave my car otuside the city and take the train / metro into the city. Is this a good idea? If so, where is a safe place to leave my car and take the metro in?

Just drive in - it's not that bad.

You can park on the streets around the Garden after 7 PM so you don't have to put it in a garage, and by the time the show is over traffic in the city will be light.

Just come through the Lincoln Tunnel and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    drew0 wrote:

You can take your car into the city... you just have to be a little careful. As long as you're not driving anything too fancy/expensive it should be fine. Parking in a garage is expensive though... you could also try for street parking in a residential area... but that might be a little tricky if you're not familiar with area.

Only thing about a car in the city is to never ever leave anything valuable or luggage/bags visible in the car.

Don't know where you can park your car to take a train in. New Jersey somewhere I guess... You could look at park and ride type options for New Jersey transit. Ideally you'd probably want the PATH but I don't think there's much parking in Hoboken either?

It's been a long time since I lived in NYC so hopefully someone currenly local can help you better.
  • Options
    SadlipSadlip Posts: 17
    PATH is a good idea, but you might as well drive into Hoboken as opposed to Jersey City. Parking is tough in Hoboken, but you may luck out and find a free space. If not, there's a couple of garages and pay lots right near the PATH station. On a weeknight, you won't pay more than $15 to park, and you get off at 33rd and 6th (or 7th, if you walk that way through the station), which is basically the Garden.

This is usually my course of action, and I'm only 5 miles from Manhattan in NJ.
    9/8/98 East Rutherford
    8/24/00 Jones Beach
    10/13/00 MSG-Nader Rally
    7/9/03 MSG
    10/1/04 Reading
    6/1/06 East Rutherford
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    7/1/08 Beacon
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    For my two cents, park on Boulevard East for free in Weehawken or West New York, wherever you find the first available spot. Just get off 3 east at Pleasant Ave, last exit in Jersey, on your right, then stay to your left and make the left at the bottom of the hill and find the first spot. Car will be safe unless it's a Porsche and you leave your diamond tiara in the front seat on top of your chinchilla. Grab any bus or van that comes down the street (opposite side), will leave you at Port Authority, walk the eight blocks down to the Garden, no biggee at all, and then just do it all in reverse at the end of the show, you'll have plenty of company. Pick up the van in the parking lot across from Port Authority on 42nd to come back, or take the bus back from inside PA. Just remember where you parked so you can get off there!! Chump change and easy as can be.

Driving in and parking on the street is not an option in my book -- Seinfeld has really fucked up a lot of people's thinking about how to play it in New York!!
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    drew0 wrote:

there is a train that goes from new jersey directly into MSG

ive only taken it once and it was great...

at the time i think it was 60 dollars a person
  • Options
    Is Jersey City a safe place to leave my car then? Out of all the places suggested, I figured that would be the easiest to find. ;)

I'm not the best driver - so I'm a little uneasy taking my car into the City after hearing some stories. I can barely make it around in Pittsburgh...

Sorry, just a little nervous. I've been here once (for a day - doesn't really count) so my mind is going all over the place trying to figure out my gameplane for the few days I'll be visiting.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    Well, what I'm doing (and what I usually do) is parking in the Journal Square PATH parking garage (it's really not that expensive, probably $15 for the night and worth it since it's connected to the PATH station and really safe) and taking the PATH train to 33rd St, which ends up a block away from MSG. I'd definitely recommend this over NJ Transit, which stops running on weekdays after midnight and is a more expensive ride than the PATH. In the spirit of helping out a fellow Jammer, I can even try to meet you in Jersey City and you can take the train in with me.
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    In the spirit of helping out a fellow Jammer, I can even try to meet you in Jersey City and you can take the train in with me.

You are a DOLL! I hope he takes you up on it.
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Sadlip wrote:
    PATH is a good idea, but you might as well drive into Hoboken as opposed to Jersey City. Parking is tough in Hoboken, but you may luck out and find a free space. If not, there's a couple of garages and pay lots right near the PATH station. On a weeknight, you won't pay more than $15 to park, and you get off at 33rd and 6th (or 7th, if you walk that way through the station), which is basically the Garden.

This is usually my course of action, and I'm only 5 miles from Manhattan in NJ.

def. drive into hoboken over jersey city.

you will find paid parking w/ no problem. there are three huge garages (probably cost you $25/30 for the night) right next to the PATH station. but you just might luck out and get a spot on the street if you have the patience to hunt around.
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    Well, what I'm doing (and what I usually do) is parking in the Journal Square PATH parking garage (it's really not that expensive, probably $15 for the night and worth it since it's connected to the PATH station and really safe) and taking the PATH train to 33rd St, which ends up a block away from MSG. I'd definitely recommend this over NJ Transit, which stops running on weekdays after midnight and is a more expensive ride than the PATH. In the spirit of helping out a fellow Jammer, I can even try to meet you in Jersey City and you can take the train in with me.

go with this.
    my signature.