Options

Are there any Pearl Jam college courses?

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,511
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I've heard of some colleges offering courses on topics such as Star Trek and professional wrestling. I saw this article and was curious if a college ever offered a course on Pearl Jam and if so, what the curriculum was like.

http://www.bethelcollege.edu/news/?articleID=2360
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I took an Italians in the Mafia class... it was amazing! We watched The Godfather, The Sopranos, and other awesome movies/shows... and the books were really cool too!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    the closest thing to a course on Pearl Jam will be if Little Steven Van Zandt's proposal gets accepted.

google what hes trying to do. its pretty cool
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I took an Italians in the Mafia class... it was amazing! We watched The Godfather, The Sopranos, and other awesome movies/shows... and the books were really cool too!

I found the article on the college that offered a course on wrestling. It was M.I.T.

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2007/04/11/at_mit_students_are_credited_with_smackdown/
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I think the closest you would find to a Pearl Jam course would be a Grunge course. That would still be pretty cool.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    mpnrightmpnright Posts: 23
    I went to ASU and took a class on the Beatles...it was sweeeet
  • Options
    RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    Indiana University offers a Rock n Roll History class.....that eventually gets to Nirvana/Pearl Jam.

Awesome class, by the way! I learned so much about some older music I never knew about.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • Options
    Romanza wrote:
    Indiana University offers a Rock n Roll History class.....that eventually gets to Nirvana/Pearl Jam.

Awesome class, by the way! I learned so much about some older music I never knew about.

Can you imagine a field trip going to a PJ concert? Sweeeet!
  • Options
    odieodie Posts: 73
    I've heard of some colleges offering courses on topics such as Star Trek and professional wrestling. I saw this article and was curious if a college ever offered a course on Pearl Jam and if so, what the curriculum was like.

http://www.bethelcollege.edu/news/?articleID=2360

Is that Bethel College in Kansas??????
    PJ Princess
  • Options
    odie wrote:
    Is that Bethel College in Kansas??????

close...Indiana
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    LOL, that would be the best class trip of all time!

Beer, you'd be driving the bus and we'd have a keg in the back. Best Trip Ever!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Yeah Indiana University offers classes on The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, and I believe 3 different Rock N' Roll history classes; all are phenomenal but the Beatles class was the greatest thing. Ever.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • Options
    alpitt wrote:
    Yeah Indiana University offers classes on The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, and I believe 3 different Rock N' Roll history classes; all are phenomenal but the Beatles class was the greatest thing. Ever.

Any field trips to Abbey Road?
  • Options
    alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Actually...the professor takes everyone to Liverpool and they visit all the landmarks (Abbey Road, the Helter Skelter ride, etc.) like once every few years. No joke.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • Options
    alpitt wrote:
    Actually...the professor takes everyone to Liverpool and they visit all the landmarks (Abbey Road, the Helter Skelter ride, etc.) like once every few years. No joke.

No kidding? Do students have to fund their own way or is it sponsored? That's kinda cool...expensive though.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    My friends dad is in a Rock and Roll history class and one section they had was over early-mid 90's music.

They had a whole chapter on the Flaming Lips which was kinda funny.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    There is one university in cali that has a class for Tool. The professor analyzes maynards lyrics. He even had and interview with maynard. I forgot where i read about this.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    There is one university in cali that has a class for Tool. The professor analyzes maynards lyrics. He even had and interview with maynard. I forgot where i read about this.

I think if Vedder got interviewed for a class that they'd need an interpreter for some people.
  • Options
    burnerbenburnerben Posts: 80
    UC Santa Cruz has a course on the "Music of the Grateful Dead." They've also set up a special collection at their library to archive all GD music and a bunch of historical memorabilia for the foreseeable future.
    Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I’m
    delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    I took a Rock N Roll History Class at Ohio State. They talked about Pearl Jam some, but the last assignment for the class was to write a paper on a band who did not get talked about, or talked about enough, who you thought was influential enough that they needed to be included. So of course I wrote a paper on Pearl Jam, and pretty much for my bibliography I said that the reason I did not have many sources was because everything I wrote was already in my brain.

It was definitely the easiest assignment I ever had, and in fact I had to cut some stuff from the paper because I made it too long. :-)
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    I took a Rock N Roll History Class at Ohio State. They talked about Pearl Jam some, but the last assignment for the class was to write a paper on a band who did not get talked about, or talked about enough, who you thought was influential enough that they needed to be included. So of course I wrote a paper on Pearl Jam, and pretty much for my bibliography I said that the reason I did not have many sources was because everything I wrote was already in my brain.

It was definitely the easiest assignment I ever had, and in fact I had to cut some stuff from the paper because I made it too long. :-)

that is when homework can be fun.
  • Options
    Goofy08073Goofy08073 Posts: 41
    i took a rock and roll history class but it sucked

my englsh professor wore pearl jam shirts all the time and i talked to her about it. thats the closest ive come though
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    the closest i've come is that theres a summer course at my school thats of the history of modern music or something and the closest to pearl jam it has is radiohead and RATM
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    So of course I wrote a paper on Pearl Jam, and pretty much for my bibliography I said that the reason I did not have many sources was because everything I wrote was already in my brain.

Wow, your professor was cool with that? I should have gone to THE Ohio State University. At Northwestern we were required to provide sources for our research papers. And our football team sucked.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.