Options

Driving from New York City to Hartford question...

shakey420shakey420 Posts: 27
edited June 2008 in The Porch
how long on a friday afternoon around 4pm will it take to get to hartford, any ideas? what is the ideal time to leave if you have to work but are tryin to get out early? any suggestions????
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    shakey420 wrote:
    how long on a friday afternoon around 4pm will it take to get to hartford, any ideas? what is the ideal time to leave if you have to work but are tryin to get out early? any suggestions????

hmmmmmm......traffic is always an issue.....esp. goin thru new haven and the likes on the way there. all dependent on how bad it is that night. could be 1 1/2-2 hrs in an ideal situation, three plus in a worst case scenario.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    hmmmmmm......traffic is always an issue.....esp. goin thru new haven and the likes on the way there. all dependent on how bad it is that night. could be 1 1/2-2 hrs in an ideal situation, three plus in a worst case scenario.

Agreed, going from Stamford to New Haven is always the worst. Maybe try the Merit Parkway ( If from NY, it is the Hutchinson Pkway that turns into the Merit in CT), take it to the end and get off onto 91 North. It will be heavy, but maybe not as bad. No trucks, so a much nicer ride. Actually it is easier because from NYC you would just get on the West Side Highway and go north.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    I live in Hartford... Do the trip many times...

If you leave NYC on a Friday afternoon at 4pm and head to Hartford it's possible you will miss the opening band...

I'd leave at 2pm if possible....
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    shakey420 wrote:
    :eek:
    Leaving ny at 4pm on a Friday???
    To get to Hartford?? :eek:
    Sorry to be the one to tell you friend, but it will be a loooonnnngggg drive.
    I used to work in Greenwich and I never drove home, north on either 95 or the merritt, on a Friday.
    It is hit or miss with how bad it will actually be, but give yourself 3 hrs to be safe. With no traffic, it would take almost 2.
    Good luck!
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:
    I live in Hartford... Do the trip many times...

If you leave NYC on a Friday afternoon at 4pm and head to Hartford it's possible you will miss the opening band...

I'd leave at 2pm if possible....

Totally agree, leave at 4pm and you're in for a long ride..... could be 4+ hours.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    shakey420shakey420 Posts: 27
    what if i take the train? is there transportation from station to venue? and can i get back to the station at night? thanks for your help. in a major jam cause its the end of the quarter at work and im getting some pushback about leaving to early!! gimme a break!!! i think 3pm is the earliest i could leave if by car...
  • Options
    I'm gonna take a bus from Port Authority at 10:30am that puts me in Hartford at 1pm. Gonna rent a car at the airport there till Tuesday. (Hartford and Mansfield I and II next).

Seriously mate, if you are really planning on driving, you should leave around 1-2pm... Otherwise...

Ric
    Severed Hand
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    shakey420 wrote:
    what if i take the train? is there transportation from station to venue? and can i get back to the station at night? thanks for your help. in a major jam cause its the end of the quarter at work and im getting some pushback about leaving to early!! gimme a break!!! i think 3pm is the earliest i could leave if by car...

if you leave at 3 on car and take the West Side Highway->Henry Hudson Pkwy->Cross County Pkwy->Hutchinson Parkway ->Merrit Pkwy->I-91, i'd say you'd skip the horrible I95 Friday evening traffic. 3 hours max if you leave at 3. if you leave at 4, its a different story....maybe 4 hours or more.
    my signature.
  • Options
    I would definetly forget I-95... I know ppl who took 6 hours to Hartford on Fridays...
    Severed Hand
  • Options
    lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    I suggest leaving at 1pm. If you take I-95 as I am, leaving at 1 will get you there in like 2 1/2 hours. Leaving at 2pm is good to, but anytime after that u are pushing it. Especially on i-95, and going through new haven.
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • Options
    call in sick cause you are never gonna make it if you leave at 4- no way- traffic, construction- people who cant drive- rush hour- a 4 pm departure time is a doomed departure time.

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Gotta agree...Merritt Pkwy or no Merritt Pkway, try and leave earlier than 4pm. if you have to you will make it for PJ for sure (915 start) but you will have tangled with the traffic beast.
  • Options
    butterfly1 wrote:
    Gotta agree...Merritt Pkwy or no Merritt Pkway, try and leave earlier than 4pm. if you have to you will make it for PJ for sure (915 start) but you will have tangled with the traffic beast.

carefull, they started at 8:45 on Sunday night in D.C.

I figure with them playing 2 1/2 hours or more and the curfew at 11:30PM in most places, they might want to start before 9PM.
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 638
    carefull, they started at 8:45 on Sunday night in D.C.

I figure with them playing 2 1/2 hours or more and the curfew at 11:30PM in most places, they might want to start before 9PM.

The 10C ticket confirmation said they were starting at 9:15 for Hartford.
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    ohbigboyohbigboy Posts: 34
    Might I also suggest I-684 to I-84... that's been my preferred route to avoid 95.
    The best suggestion is to leave earlier :)
    Just waiting for my next show...