Options

Band not doing the boot CDs in-house

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Just got confirmation that my first CD was shipped, and apparently Kufala is doing the actual production on the boots.
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    godpt3 wrote:
    Just got confirmation that my first CD was shipped, and apparently Kufala is doing the actual production on the boots.
    Is this good news then?
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Check em out.

http://www.kufala.com/
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Murderers wrote:
    Is this good news then?

I ordered a Rockfords boot from Kufala several years ago. The CDs themselves were CDRs with the tracklist printed on them. Not the highest quality CDRs, either. And the package looked just like what the PJ ones will. Two CD sleeve (typical PJ bootleg style) with the actual artwork/tracklist just glued around the front, spine and back.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    godpt3 wrote:
    I don't think they have ever produced their own CD's or LP's. I am pretty sure they have always outsourced that stuff.

Their sound guys are still the ones mastering the recordings, as always.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    After reading all about this company on their website..they seem like a pretty good little company for PJ/10C to team up with. Again, since PJ/10C has no way of producing CD's them self. MUCH better than Live Nations' Instant Live program.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,093
    Wait a minute. will the PJ discs be burnt on cd'rs ?!?

And you can buy the concerts from that webpage? 1 dollar more, but maybe they ship cheaper to sweden..
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Wait a minyte. wuill the Pj discs be burnt on cd'rs ?!?

yep. CDRs
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    What? How were they in 2003? I want my cd's pressed... what the hell :|
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    What? How were they in 2003? I want my cd's pressed... what the hell :|

silvers in 2000 and 2003
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    It's 4 dollars to ship a cd from their website to europe, so that's got to be alot cheaper than tenclub.

but still, burnt fucking cd's ?! I think that is a real bummer... could download the flacs and burn them on verbatim disc and get a better result... something just feels cheap about this... :/
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    but still, burnt fucking cd's ?! I think that is a real bummer... could download the flacs and burn them on verbatim disc and get a better result... something just feels cheap about this... :/

Santos said weeks ago that they were CDRs..... get with the program.
  • Options
    The Kufala website has pricing for its services. Pearl Jam is going to make a huge profit on each bootleg sold. The band is probably paying around $3.50 to $4.00 per bootleg and then about $2.00 to ship them domestically. Of course, this doesn't take into account any costs associated with recording and mixing the shows.

I am not complaining, I just never had any idea of the economics of the bootleg program.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    The Kufala website has pricing for its services. Pearl Jam is going to make a huge profit on each bootleg sold. The band is probably paying around $3.50 to $4.00 per bootleg and then about $2.00 to ship them domestically. Of course, this doesn't take into account any costs associated with recording and mixing the shows.

I am not complaining, I just never had any idea of the economics of the bootleg program.

I wonder what the economics of CDRs are compared to pressed discs.
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    godpt3 wrote:
    I wonder what the economics of CDRs are compared to pressed discs.

It's a pretty hefty fee to have a glass master cut... I looked into it a few years ago and if I remember right, it was in the thousands of dollars range.

The glass master is an essential part of the production process, once made it is stored in readiness to produce other “stampers” should a re-press be required. A glass master is an exact reproduction of the original master. A powerful laser etches a photosensitive layer applied to the “glass” before being “fixed” by a chemical process. This glass master is then processed through a bath in which an electrical charge is applied to build up a layer of various metals. Once this layer is around 300 microns thick (0.3 mm) the process is stopped and this layer is removed from the glass master and trimmed. It is this “stamper” (a mirror of the raw data) that is used in the presses that heats (at great temperature) the raw material of the disc – polycarbonate.
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Anyone know when they're being shipped??
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    godpt3 wrote:

Didn't the official press release state they would ship within 3 weeks of the show date?

Call me a whiner if you would like; just stating the facts, ma'am.