Options

Brendon O'Brien producing next album?!?!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    hakhead wrote:
    I'm happy to see that some people noticed the same thing: We need O'brien back!!!! Avocado production was sooo bad!!! I'm pretty Comatose would sound a million time better if O'brien was there. And the new Springsteen proved that O'brien can do the job!

Actually Comatose is a good case in point. Just one of the many songs on Avocado which was so thin on the ground. A good song which was thoroughly watered down by mediocre production.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Hatfield wrote:
    I was expecting to see that you are 14 and were trying to be cool with the "you guys scare me" thing. I haven't heard many of these albums but I know that The Nightwatchman's album sounds fantastic. Similar to No Code it has depth and layering. I love the way Brendan records guitars and vocals.
    Has Ed sounded better than he does on Vs. -> Yield and on Love Reign O'er Me? Just because you don't like Incubus, doesn't mean Brendan didn't produce their album well.

I think Adam Kasper did Into the Wild and I was happy with what he did on S/T, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was asked to do the next one. We shall see.

I don't know what that means, but I just don't think Obrien's a good producer. Frankly I don't like the work he did with Rage and I also think the Nightwatchman could have been a lot better.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    Actually Comatose is a good case in point. Just one of the many songs on Avocado which was so thin on the ground. A good song which was thoroughly watered down by mediocre production.

Very very true....

I listened to Yield and Avocado today and the difference in quality is really sad as i love many of the tracks off Avocado but the awful production lets it down....

Ed sounds distant and muddy on every track nearly.....compare that to how warm he sounds on songs like Wishlist and Do The Evolution.....heartbraking......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    bring back brendy boy!!!

i also had a dream that i was at a concert and jack irons was walking around. i told him i loved the music that he and pearl jam made together.
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    smithnic wrote:
    I just don't think Obrien's a good producer.

Which is probably the reason why he is one of the most prolific and successful rock producers of the last 15 years.....?

Brendan O'Brien knows his stuff when it comes to making a record. At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you like the records or not, saying that O'Brien is a bad producer is just plain wrong. I'm not just saying this because he is one of my major influences when it comes to production work. Case in point, listen to the first two Black Crowes records (which he engineered), Core or Purple by STP, Mirrorball or Revelations and tell me that the production on those records is not good.

Peace!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    i just bought Yield again today... i haven't owned it since it got misplaced a few years ago. it's absolutely my favorite Pearl Jam cd. i don't know what it is, but i think PJ was at their creative peak with No Code and Yield. maybe the chemistry with the band, irons, and o'brien producing is what did it... i can't say for sure. i can listen to that record over and over and marvel at every little sound captured. it's a fantastic ALBUM, and i stress the word ALBUM.

that's what o'brien did so well... he managed to capture every interesting sound and blend it in perfectly. i thought ed's voice sounded better under o'brien as well. i'm not a technical guy, so i can't comment on the production of Riot Act and S/T. i love binaural, but it took a few years. the music in Riot Act and S/T sounds mushed together. i also think the songwriting was better on the previous records.

if ed writes his ass off like he did with Into the Wild, i think the next album could be awsome.

do you guys think they should bring back Brendy Boy O'Brien?
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Yielded wrote:
    Which is probably the reason why he is one of the most prolific and successful rock producers of the last 15 years.....?

Brendan O'Brien knows his stuff when it comes to making a record. At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you like the records or not, saying that O'Brien is a bad producer is just plain wrong. I'm not just saying this because he is one of my major influences when it comes to production work. Case in point, listen to the first two Black Crowes records (which he engineered), Core or Purple by STP, Mirrorball or Revelations and tell me that the production on those records is not good.

Peace!

Er no, it's not "plain wrong." Whilst I like O'Brien, I have to say I think his work on the Springsteen albums is dreadful - and a ridclious amount of Springsteen fans seem to be in agreement. I didn't think much of Velvet Revolvers latest offering either.
  • Options
    brainofmebrainofme Posts: 231
    don't know if this has been posted already, but look at this:

http://www.thelivingend.com/2006/

"The Living End will then be stepping in to mix the record with legendary producer Brendan O'Brien, who will be mixing the album in between his commitments recording the new AC/DC album and the new Pearl Jam record."
    Vienna, Austria 2006
    Munich, Germany 2007
  • Options
    that's some major news if it's true... the closest thing to news i heard before reading that someone claimed they heard over the radio that o'brien was producing the new record. they

so, unofficially, o'brien's producing AC/DC, then mixing living end, and then producing the next PJ album? if that is legit, then PJ could be recording with o'brien sometime during the summer. a february 2009 record at the earliest? 11 years after Yield...
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    brainofme wrote:

"The Living End will then be stepping in to mix the record with legendary producer Brendan O'Brien, who will be mixing the album in between his commitments recording the new AC/DC album and the new Pearl Jam record."

This would be very exciting news!

Please be true!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I liked Adam Kasper, but its about time they brought Brendon back!!!
    Yes Brandon does get a good sound from the band.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    smithnic wrote:
    Yeah, Obrien's done some good work lately...
    Splinter - The Offspring (2003)
    The Thorns - The Thorns (2003)
    A Crow Left of the Murder - Incubus (2004)
    Alive at Red Rocks - Incubus (2004)
    Drive - Graham Colton Band (2004)
    Welcome to the North - The Music (2004)
    Devils and Dust - Bruce Springsteen (2005)
    Rebel, Sweetheart - The Wallflowers (2005)
    All the Stars and Boulevards - Augustana (2005)
    Shine - Trey Anastasio (2005)
    For Me, It's You - Train (2006)
    Revelations - Audioslave (2006)
    Light Grenades - Incubus (2006)
    One Man Revolution - The Nightwatchman (2007)
    The Sun and the Moon - The Bravery (2007)
    Libertad - Velvet Revolver (2007)
    Magic - Bruce Springsteen (2007)
    Sweat It Out - The Pink Spiders (2008)

Take out the Springsteen albums and there's not a good one on the list!! I really don't like O'Brien's work, and the fact that you guys do scares me.

can't argue the sentiment about the bands, cause that's all personal opinion. But this is more about the sound of the album really. So unless you can take personal opinion out and base the critique on what Obrien could actually do with the album, I think it's baseless to name these as examples.
  • Options
    homeratbat wrote:
    brendan o'brien was easily the best pj producer never was sure why they went away from him...if you want to hear how great he is listen to a record by the UK band The Music: Welcome to the North. He produced it and its GREAT!! so its not just "major artists" he can help bring out there great sound!

by the way is this just a hope that he is producing the album or something that can be cited somewhere?
    I agree, that was a pretty good record, surprised that band didn't get a little more notice from people.

I don't understand why so many people say the production of Avacado is bad, maybe my ear's are shot.
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Options
    brainofme wrote:

The News Below Either Confirms or Confuses that Report... Apparently O'Brien is Working with the Supersuckers After AC/DC... Did Living End Confuse the Supersuckers with Pearl Jam????

Ac/Dc Working With Pearl Jam Producer?
    Ac/Dc Working With Pearl Jam Producer?

By: Don Kaye

AC/DC is reportedly recording its new album with producer Brendan O'Brien, best known for his work with Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots and more recently, Audioslave and Velvet Revolver. The news came via a post at the web site of punk rock act the Supersuckers, whose frontman Eddie Spaghetti claims that his band's new record has been delayed as a result. Spaghetti explained, "Our current snag is that the producer of the new record...(has) been detained by a little Australian band called, uh, AC/DC. That's right, our man Billy Bowers, who did such a stellar job on our Paid EP, is an engineer for Brendan O'Brien who is producing the new AC/DC record and so he's been taken away from our project temporarily."

Little has been reported about the new AC/DC album, which will be the band's first since 2000's Stiff Upper Lip. AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams told Spinner.com in February that recording was scheduled to begin on March 1st.

VH1 Classic host Eddie Trunk recently revealed on his New York radio show that AC/DC was rumored to be planning a "farewell" tour for later in the year. Williams was less clear about touring plans when he spoke with Spinner, saying, "If we go out again or when we go out again, you just never know."
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    ok, one question and i'm sorry if it's been asked before........

Does Brendon do that loud is better quality crap?
    Because it's not.

..Thats been my biggest complaint with Riot Act and Avocado - the production, AVocado especially.

agree! i can't crank Avocado in my car. it sounds like shit! :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    B-O-B is ok with me!
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    I love the idea of possibly O'Brien producing the next album.
    "I am the first mammal to wear pants....yeah"
    6/95 -SF, CA.
    11/95 -SJ, CA.
    7/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    10/25/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    7/9/06 -LA, CA.
    7/15/06 -SF, CA.
    7/17/06 -SF, CA.
    10/22/06 -Mt. View, CA.
    12/9/06 -Honolulu, HI
    Eddie!-SC, CA. 4/5/08
    Eddie!-Berkeley. 4/7/08
    6/28/08- Mansfield, MA.
  • Options
    whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    PJ seems to make great music with Brendan O'Brian. If he produces the next album, I just hope he doesn't compress the holy hell out of it like he did to Magic. He got some great songs and everything out of Bruce, but the mix/sound is too compressed for my liking. To be general, this compressing thing with albums is really pissing me off.
  • Options
    whulmef wrote:
    PJ seems to make great music with Brendan O'Brian. If he produces the next album, I just hope he doesn't compress the holy hell out of it like he did to Magic. He got some great songs and everything out of Bruce, but the mix/sound is too compressed for my liking. To be general, this compressing thing with albums is really pissing me off.

Sadly, most people don't feel that way. They'll accept anything that's given to them and assume that it's the best possible quality. Or if it's an old album and it says "newly remastered from the original tapes", then it MUST be good, right? Wrong. Chances are they ruined the sound quality for the Ipod generation. Old CD's made from copy tapes sound better than new CD's made from the masters! There seems to be a blurry line between what's right and what's wrong these days. It all started when people started complaining to record companies that CD's were too hissy and too quiet. So now we have "remastered" CD's that have been raped with noise reduction and compressed and hard limited into oblivion. That's the "standard" these days. And it's sad. Nobody cares about preserving the quality of the sound and the air around the instruments and the dynamics anymore. It's all about getting new "product" out fast that will sound good on an Ipod. And it's gotta be "clean" and "loud". And our favorite band Pearl Jam has jumped right on board.
  • Options
    brainofmebrainofme Posts: 231
    from RM: http://theskyiscrape.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73126&start=480#p2307552

Mike was on 107.7 the end today talking about the Flight to Mars concert and mentioned that they were currently working on the new album. He didn't give up any more info except that they were working with their old producer. He was there talking about the CCFA, but I was hoping they would ask him about a new album, but instead the retard DJ's played some stupid "bit" songs about Barack that spawned from them hearing "Barack Around The Clock"
    Vienna, Austria 2006
    Munich, Germany 2007
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Bring him back! :D
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I'm in the I don't care who produces Pearl Jam camp. I like BO'B just as I like Adam Kasper. All the talk about the technical side of records means nada to me. Whether it's Woody Guthrie on a scratchy 1940's recording or Pearl Jam circa Avocado, if the songs don't jump out at me, tell a story, or I find the lyrics shite; all the clean , well pressed, technical beauty ,etc... means JACK SHIT !
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff